St Aidan's 1967-72

It's funny how the site of shite can be a traumatic experience that is difficult to forget.
When I was a little kid we used to visit an aunt who lived in one of the miners houses at new Herrington. I had an older cousin who, like all his family, was a face yacker. He was massive and could demolish a big plate of greasy food in a matter of seconds.
They still had a toilet at the bottom of the yard and I went in to use it. Cousin John had been in earlier and what he left behind still haunts me to this day. I can't believe this thing passed out of a human being. It was like a brown fire extinguisher standing perfectly upright in the pot. A rocket ready for take off there was no way any toilet known to man could flush that. I fled the toilet and told my auntie who said he does that all the time. f***ing hell.
From now on I will think of you as Zinedine the pan. Graphic story - had me chuckling and horrified in equal measure! As a bairn I used to live in those miners houses at New Herrington.
I remember the freezing cold netties at the end of the yard 😳.

From now on I will think of you as Zinedine the pan. Graphic story - had me chuckling and horrified in equal measure! As a bairn I used to live in those miners houses at New Herrington.
I remember the freezing cold netties at the end of the yard 😳.
The street I'm talking about was Langton terrace. I had two aunties that lived in that one street. I spent a good chunk of my youth through there. I remember they never used the front door only the door off the backyard.
They didn't use the front room either they lived in the back room which had a coal fire that had an oven built in. Opening the front door you could see a massive coal slag heap that is now Herrington country park.

The street I'm talking about was Langton terrace. I had two aunties that lived in that one street. I spent a good chunk of my youth through there. I remember they never used the front door only the door off the backyard.
They didn't use the front room either they lived in the back room which had a coal fire that had an oven built in. Opening the front door you could see a massive coal slag heap that is now Herrington country park.
Though I am Johnny I'm definitely not Uncle John of the giant dump fame. I lived in Travers Street (next to what was New Herrington Primary School & is now an old folks home). My Granda lived in Fenton Terrace, across from Langton Terrace. Different times. HCP is lovely for a walk out, if a bit open and blowy at times (just to remind you of what was there 😉).

Though I am Johnny I'm definitely not Uncle John of the giant dump fame. I lived in Travers Street (next to what was New Herrington Primary School & is now an old folks home). My Granda lived in Fenton Terrace, across from Langton Terrace. Different times. HCP is lovely for a walk out, if a bit open and blowy at times (just to remind you of what was there 😉).
I think I got the name wrong earlier. It was called Lanton street or that's what's on Google maps now. I could have sworn it was Langton terrace. Aye, Fenton terrace was opposite, the posh side of the road. :)

Last edited:
Johnny on the pot

It's funny how the site of shite can be a traumatic experience that is difficult to forget.
When I was a little kid we used to visit an aunt who lived in one of the miners houses at new Herrington. I had an older cousin who, like all his family, was a face yacker. He was massive and could demolish a big plate of greasy food in a matter of seconds.
They still had a toilet at the bottom of the yard and I went in to use it. Cousin John had been in earlier and what he left behind still haunts me to this day. I can't believe this thing passed out of a human being. It was like a brown fire extinguisher standing perfectly upright in the pot. A rocket ready for take off there was no way any toilet known to man could flush that. I fled the toilet and told my auntie who said he does that all the time. f***ing hell.
Did he drink Midori?

82-89 for me. Looking back some of the discipline dished out would see a number of the teachers in jail today as it was outright thuggery.

Back