SS-GB on Sunday bbc1 9pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seems like a similar premise to 'Fatherland' which I read about 20 years ago and don't recall details but seem to remember was a decent book. IIRC they did a TV fillum with Rutger Hauer but I don't think I saw that.

Fatherland is a good fun read, but it didn't have the impact on me of SSGB

I think I have read everything Len Deighton and John Le Carre ever wrote, and I don't understand anyone who doesn't like them. They write about good people trying to do the right thing in situations where there are no rights and wrongs, and where moral judgements blur all the time.

SSGB takes this to another level, with a character working for the Nazis in occupied Britain. Tense and brilliant

Fatherland is a good fun read, but it didn't have the impact on me of SSGB

I think I have read everything Len Deighton and John Le Carre ever wrote, and I don't understand anyone who doesn't like them. They write about good people trying to do the right thing in situations where there are no rights and wrongs, and where moral judgements blur all the time.

SSGB takes this to another level, with a character working for the Nazis in occupied Britain. Tense and brilliant
I have read a few of his books, Winter, Bomber, Goodbye Mickey Mouse and SS GB. All fantastic works. TV show is ok, but I doubt it will beat the book for me.

Seems like a similar premise to 'Fatherland' which I read about 20 years ago and don't recall details but seem to remember was a decent book. IIRC they did a TV fillum with Rutger Hauer but I don't think I saw that.
Fatherland was my favourite book as a younger man. The film was terrible.
They perfectly cast Rutger Hauer as Xavier March but the rest of the casting was ridiculous. A bunch of British actors walking around Berlin being Nazi's. Not one of them attempting a German accent all speaking in plummy British. It was surreal to say the least.

Book and film of Fatherland were good but SS-GB predates it, written about 30 years or more ago iirc
The film version of fatherland was dreadful, missed out most of the story and ignored so many of the characters. Its a pity because the casting was pretty good but you can't condense the story into 90 minutes
One of the best books I've read (at least 10 times)

Fatherland was my favourite book as a younger man. The film was terrible.
They perfectly cast Rutger Hauer as Xavier March but the rest of the casting was ridiculous. A bunch of British actors walking around Berlin being Nazi's. Not one of them attempting a German accent all speaking in plummy British. It was surreal to say the least.
We have to disagree, Peter Vaughn was perfect for the Artur Nebe character, I thought Miranda Richardson was OK ,but as mentioned earlier though the film was dreadful

Anyone interested in this might find it worth giving CJ Sansoms Dominion a read.
Another alternative history novel based around the Nazis winning the Second World War.
A very good book, try his latest Winter in Madrid, another good read

Last edited:
The film version of fatherland was dreadful, missed out most of the story and ignored so many of the characters. Its a pity because the casting was pretty good but you can't condense the story into 90 minutes
One of the best books I've read (at least 10 times)

We have to disagree, Peter Vaughn was perfect for the Artur Nebe character, I thought Miranda Richardson was OK ,but as mentioned earlier though the film was dreadful

A very good book, try his latest Winter in Madrid, another good read
Thought dominion was great but really struggled with winter in Madrid and found it hard work.

Bit disappointed with first episode - definitely a slow burner - but prepared to give it time.

Sound quality poor.

Also, I believe most historians have said Operation Sea Lion would not have succeeded even if the Luftwaffe had won the Battle of Britain?

was very poor , as others have said - the sound was terrible at times, and the storyline was very slow ... will give next week a watch and if uch the same then wont bother with the rest 2/10 for me

Bit disappointed with first episode - definitely a slow burner - but prepared to give it time.

Sound quality poor.

Also, I believe most historians have said Operation Sea Lion would not have succeeded even if the Luftwaffe had won the Battle of Britain?

theres a reason why Sealion gets called the 'unmentionable seamammal' on alternate history sites

it would never have worked in a gazillion years

rhine barges and the english channel do not make happy shipmates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back