Sri Lanka vs England 1st Test Galle

Yeah that’s fair enough

But it’s not leach fault he’s older, that’s 1 more reason to pick him in my opinion

More experience
Had noticed but likely to have 1 more innings to win the series, India have played him very well so far too.

Impressed with ashwin and jadeja this series with bat and ball
Cant see how anyone outside of Root will be able to keel ashwin and jadeja at bay in India (stokes having to deal with the rough and ashwin, buttler batting after keeping in the heat for so long)
If Engoand do win this game, really think it would be worth Virdi getting a go next test, even as a 3 man spin attack

Yeah agree on that. I’ve a suspicion that Lawrence and pope will both play at same time at some point in that series

Buttler is in at 7 too in that series, can’t expect him to get big runs from there, just hope the odd 50 and counter attack

Aye you’re right about stokes will be tough for him

I’ll be amazed if we don’t get well beaten over there

More promise for the ashes though, Australia been fairly average, it’s Cummins n hazlewood who been their best

Starc n Lyon been poor

Last edited:

Surprised that would have been out if sri lanka had reviewed, looked outside line and spinning too much
Odd field places this morning, plenty of singles on offer. These two have batted well tbf
Cracking win, hope we back it up in the next test

Last edited:
Welll played Bairstow and Lawrence, great going

my instinct is that Bairstow will keep his place for India looking a the other options

we simply cant have Burns, Sibley and Crawley as our 3 in India if it turns

get to see the pitches first.
First time England have won 4 away tests since the 1950's!

Really impressive that no matter how you spin it

England arent perfect but they win a hell ofa lot of cricket matches
Some people on this thread looking foolish. Back to back 50s on a spitting wicket is good going

LOL

Root is an absolute top bloke lke

Compare him to Tim Paine man

Last edited:

He’s not even that good a red ball bowler like

wouldnt pick him even if fit.
It’s like trying to pick Roy as opener

arrogance? Give over man

loads of players have got out poking n prodding this test match

very last thing you should do on that pitch

he positive is the way to go, they weren’t slogging at all

look how sibley got out, just a defensive mindset

and loads of teams struggle with these targets in Asia, it’s why Australia and South Africa always lose here and NZ only drew. I think that’s slight arrogance thinking we should walk these games

these are extreme conditions, so challenging and it’s great to watch

I knew you'd reply with some wibble about the opposition being quality and England did everything right.

Sibley was the only one who got out playing a defensive shot. He looks weak against spin full stop. Doesn't get his head over the ball, just sticks his bat and leg forward and hopes for the best.

Crawley got out trying to drive the ball to the cover boundary. Bairstow ran Root out trying a daft single to force the tempo: Root looked half asleep and ran into the bowler.

Agree with the last line: they were difficult conditions. That was my whole point. So bring out a NWM, preferably one of the two spinners who had watched how the deck responded all day. SL did it in their second innings. Result was never in doubt, routine when the players had had a night's sleep.

I knew you'd reply with some wibble about the opposition being quality and England did everything right.

Sibley was the only one who got out playing a defensive shot. He looks weak against spin full stop. Doesn't get his head over the ball, just sticks his bat and leg forward and hopes for the best.

Crawley got out trying to drive the ball to the cover boundary. Bairstow ran Root out trying a daft single to force the tempo: Root looked half asleep and ran into the bowler.

Agree with the last line: they were difficult conditions. That was my whole point. So bring out a NWM, preferably one of the two spinners who had watched how the deck responded all day. SL did it in their second innings. Result was never in doubt, routine when the players had had a night's sleep.

Bairstow played really well in both innings like. I think looking at Sibley, and even Crawley against spin there, there is a real chance he plays 3 in India IF its spinning pitches. And I think it will be considering their injuries to their seamers, who wont be back.

They weren't arrogant though, that was a very harsh like and I dont think true, Sibley and Crawley struggled, thats all it was. The first time a spinner has got out both openers in both innings for single figures, ever! Some stat that when you think about it. They looked inexperienced.

As I say lets see the ptiches in India first, but if it spins, we cant go in with Crawley, Sibley and Burns as our top 3, we just can't

Great win, its not easy winning over there, I think its really impressive considering thye had no cricket at all. Sri Lanka will be better on Friday, and I quite fancy them to make it 1-1 actually
Another few observations is that Roots innings really was of the highest class,a nd the reason we won the game basically

and we looked a much better team when we tried to control the run rate, which I think has to be our plan in India and Oz. Broad dried it up after lunch and the spinner from the other end then got better.

India have bowled dry in Australia and it worked there too

Watch to the end, fantastic interview that.

Don’t get why some people dislike the lad at all

Last edited:
Bairstow played really well in both innings like. I think looking at Sibley, and even Crawley against spin there, there is a real chance he plays 3 in India IF its spinning pitches. And I think it will be considering their injuries to their seamers, who wont be back.

They weren't arrogant though, that was a very harsh like and I dont think true, Sibley and Crawley struggled, thats all it was. The first time a spinner has got out both openers in both innings for single figures, ever! Some stat that when you think about it. They looked inexperienced.

As I say lets see the ptiches in India first, but if it spins, we cant go in with Crawley, Sibley and Burns as our top 3, we just can't

Great win, its not easy winning over there, I think its really impressive considering thye had no cricket at all. Sri Lanka will be better on Friday, and I quite fancy them to make it 1-1 actually
Another few observations is that Roots innings really was of the highest class,a nd the reason we won the game basically

and we looked a much better team when we tried to control the run rate, which I think has to be our plan in India and Oz. Broad dried it up after lunch and the spinner from the other end then got better.

India have bowled dry in Australia and it worked there too

Watch to the end, fantastic interview that.

Don’t get why some people dislike the lad at all
Same here mate, he is one of the best ODI batsmen England has ever produced, but I did giggle at people calling him Kevin the Teenager :lol:

Given Ali is a good player of spin ( or at least was last time he played in the team) is their a case that he comes in for curran, broad to keep his place and anderson, woakes or stone to come in for wood.
Seems a shame for broad to drop out for rotation given just how well he bowled in this test, whilst curran did a great job with the ball but Ali could do with the game ahead of india.

Given Ali is a good player of spin ( or at least was last time he played in the team) is their a case that he comes in for curran, broad to keep his place and anderson, woakes or stone to come in for wood.
Seems a shame for broad to drop out for rotation given just how well he bowled in this test, whilst curran did a great job with the ball but Ali could do with the game ahead of india.

There is no way Ali can play like, just had covid, been in a hotel room for 2 weeks, out into 35 degree heat, you aint looking after his health there

I'd play Broad and Jimmy for this one, I think they can bowl dry and that will help the spinners more.

if we are not picking another batsman, I'd keep Curran in

I thought, bearing in mind how rusty the side would undoubtedly have been, to take the game by the scruff of the neck and dominate the first two days was outstanding. You can only play what's in front of you and England did just that.

Credit to Sri Lanka for a great fightback on days 3 and 4. They done England a favour, too, by exposing any flaws that need to be worked on.

Maybe it's just me, but I enjoy competitive victories a lot more than walkovers. Unless it's an Ashes win, of course. I want England to win, but especially against good or great opposition.

Back