Sri Lanka v England (2nd test) 22nd/26th Jan

It was gonna take summat special to get Root out and you have to take your hat off to the fielder.

Hopefully last wicket can add a few frustrating runs and/or use a bit of time up tomorrow.

Feel really sorry for Root. A superb innings and his tiredness (plus great fielding) did for him just short of reaching stumps.
I know you can never tell, but I think that as long as Leach held his end, he would have made his double century tomorrow and England would be much closer.
Lots of ifs and buts but there you go.

Thing with Root is we compare him to Kohli/Smith/Williamson, but they all have accomplished players above them to shield them.

Kohli has Purjara, Smith has Marnus/Warner... Meanwhile, Roots got to work around Sibley and Crawley 🤣 poor fucker has to do everything

He has to physically carry our batting, whereas the other three have players who share the load.

His captaincy isnt perfect but is improving, and he's nowhere near as defensive as Kohli. The other three can switch off for a bit knowing their respective top three's are going give them something of a breather, whereas Root has to constantly be ready to go in. Tough gig

Plus he's comfortably our best player of spin. He's absolutely beautiful to watch when he's in

Thing with Root is we compare him to Kohli/Smith/Williamson, but they all have accomplished players above them to shield them.

Kohli has Purjara, Smith has Marnus/Warner... Meanwhile, Roots got to work around Sibley and Crawley 🤣 poor fucker has to do everything

He has to physically carry our batting, whereas the other three have players who share the load.

His captaincy isnt perfect but is improving, and he's nowhere near as defensive as Kohli. The other three can switch off for a bit knowing their respective top three's are going give them something of a breather, whereas Root has to constantly be ready to go in. Tough gig

Plus he's comfortably our best player of spin. He's absolutely beautiful to watch when he's in

He plays most of his cricket in England as well whereas the others play on flatter wickets most of the time

He plays most of his cricket in England as well whereas the others play on flatter wickets most of the time
With the possible exception of the freak Smith (who's a cheating c-unit anyway, I'd have the classy Joe over him every day of the week), the averages of the other two would drop my at least 5 runs if they had to play 70% of their cricket in England. Even Smith's would drop my a couple

A lot is made of his conversion rate and I do think it has been a reasonable concern to mull over but he effortlessly gets to 50 every other innings without much backup, that'll do for me.

People forgetting about Stokes? ;)

Slightly selective

Williamson bats 3, without a second opener of note after Latham
Labuschange has only been around a year or so
Root was partially “protected” by Cook for a long time. And then Denly was a blocking 3

Back