Squad not good enough for promotion

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rat

Striker
I totally agree with people saying Parky should go like, he is out of his depth

My main concern is the state of the squad we have now been left with, I dont see anyway we get promoted with the squad, even with more appearances by some young lads (which absolutely needs to happen)

Our forwards arne't good enough, we have no pace, no power, no creativity bar Maguire, who is at best a league one play off player.

As I say, I want a new manager, but I still feel some fans think we have a squad good enough for top 2, IMO of course, we really don't.

If Parky was sacked tomorrow, which he should, I don't see anyone taking us up

My main concern is the state of the squad we have now been left with, I dont see anyway we get promoted with the squad, even with more appearances by some young lads (which absolutely needs to happen)

Our forwards arne't good enough, we have no pace, no power, no creativity bar Maguire, who is at best a league one play off player.

As I say, I want a new manager, but I still feel some fans think we have a squad good enough for top 2, IMO of course, we really don't.

The squad is good enough for promotion, we have played shit all season and still havent lost many games. The league is poor, with the right manager we can get out of this league

Best squad in the League said SD--manager wont pick the best side or make "brave" early changes FFS

My main concern with this owner is selling the Young uns that would improve us and their reputations/selling price. This league would be an ideal opportunity to get some promising AOL graduates more match experience!

Last edited:
We dont even know what the likes of Neil and Embleton in the squad can do. Would also be interesting to see them playing to get the best out of the likes of Maguire and Gooch.

personally I think we have the 2nd best squad in the division this season, and the previous years, the best, tactics of fear from bang average journeyman managers is our downfall.
I cant recall a game where we went at the opposition from the off, or even a period within the game, until we kick this possession, recycling the ball, safety first approach, we are going nowhere

personally I think we have the 2nd best squad in the division this season, and the previous years, the best, tactics of fear from bang average journeyman managers is our downfall.
I cant recall a game where we went at the opposition from the off, or even a period within the game, until we kick this possession, recycling the ball, safety first approach, we are going nowhere
Parky plays attrition football keep it tight play the percentages and hope for a goal and try to cling on ........with a following wind and over a full season and given a bit of luck that might get you into the playoffs ...... you will however not win those playoffs and be back where you started......parky will never change his approach so im afraid he will have to go if we are to get anywhere near the promotion spots.....

IM always perplexed by the statement "out of his depth" can you expand in terms of a team ?Parky is in league one ffs!

Last edited:
Parky plays attrition football keep it tight play the percentages and hope for a goal and try to cling on ........with a following wind and over a full season and given a bit of luck that might get you into the playoffs ...... you will however not win those playoffs and be back where you started......parky will never change his approach so im afraid he will have to go if we are to get anywhere near the promotion spots.....

IM always perplexed by the statement "out of his depth" can you expand in terms of a team ?Parky is in league one ffs!

Well, I dunno actually, basically I just don't think he is good enough for Sunderland, he is a poor manager

That was the wrong phrase to use to be fair.
We dont even know what the likes of Neil and Embleton in the squad can do. Would also be interesting to see them playing to get the best out of the likes of Maguire and Gooch.

Possibly, and obviously there is a chance, time will tell on that

of the senior players we have, they aren't good enough to go up

I am honestly perplexed why people think we have a good enough squad for top 2, its really badly balance, we are totally and utterly reliant on Maguire for creativity, and he is so average. Do people think Graham, Grigg and O'Brien should be getting 15-20 goals? they are plain awful

We really dont like, how do we? No goals, no pace, no creativity, no power. Its so one pace, so old, nothing about it

We had decent options first season, but we have lost Catts, Honeyman, Oviedo, McGeady, Maja, who are all head and shoulders above every single player in our team

The squad this season and last is absolutely awful, and not an automatic promotion team

I really think people just think we should go up based on the fact we are Sunderland, without looking at our team.
As @Johnsafc says above, the unknown quantitiy is the young players, absolutely they could be good and that could be a difference for pushing us to the top, but cant say either way on that at the minute. Its actually a shame we flogged our best kids off

BTW none of this is meant as a defence of Parkinson, so dont anyone come back to me with that

Last edited:
Upper mid-table side for me, think we’ll be about 9th come the end of the season, fantastic progress will be hailed by the knobs in the boardroom

i'm reluctantly happy to concede we aren't going up this season. without sounding dramatic, i think it would be bad news for safc in the long term if we somehow managed to fluke our way to promotion via the playoffs, with this squad and this manager, via ground out drab 1-0 wins and 1-1 draws against dire opposition. even that looks highly unlikely now. all it would achieve is and embarrassing relegation from the championship and back to square one for season 2022/23. pretty much where we are now. its counter-productive

the problem is, and always has been, that there is no-one at the club who has any confidence or desire to build something longterm. managers are always a few games away from the sack as the club targets automatic promotion every season, making a rod for its own back, and the cycle continues. no manager is every going to blood young lads into the first team as 'now' is never the time.

the same applies to owners, the players, the coaches, the scouts etc.. none of them are planning to be here for any longer than they have to be to make a quick few quid, so why would they inconvenience themselves any further than the bare minimum required to tread water till they are found out and moved on.

if the club came out with something bold, at the start of the season or even now, like 'we are going to make a pledge to start at least 2 or 3 academy products every game where possible and have the subs bench full of the best promising youngsters for the rest of the season' i think most sunderland fans would accept that as an acceptance of non-promotion this season but better for the club in the long run. pay up the contracts of danny graham, will grigg and obrien, so they aren't stinking the place out, and start fresh.

get rid of Parkinson and his entire coaching staff. tell candidates that they won't be expected to gain promotion this season, its a write-off, but they will be expected to be experimental and progressive. employ a scout scout, to scout scouts and bring onboard proper scouts who know what to look for - lads with age on their side, and dedicated to fitness and development and achieving things. actual modern professional athletes who don't drink and eat mcdonalnds in service stations after away games.

trying to make quick, short term fixes constantly only ends up in a downward trajectory over time.

Under PP this squad doesn't have enough for promotion, a new manager and direction might be able to do something with them in terms of performances and results. Well, that like many is my hope and ITHICS!

Best squad in the League said SD--manager wont pick the best side or make "brave" early changes FFS

My main concern with this owner is selling the Young uns that would improve us and their reputations/selling price. This league would be an ideal opportunity to get some promising AOL graduates more match experience!

"Best squad in the league said SD"

I wouldn't believe him he told me it was Saturday today.

We absolutely should have been promoted first season. Maja, in form and committed McGeady, McClaughlin, cattermole, Oviedo, Honeyman. The longer that passes the more glaring that failure is. I suspect even Grayson or Coleman could have got them promoted. As for this squad it’s capable of more than we’re getting. It has fundamental flaws, three of our four options up front are absolutely shite and the other is Wyke but we should still be better than this. If we are this shit and irredeemably so then I would genuinely rather see us be this shit whilst developing Embleton, Diamond, Neill, Kimpioka ( once fit) and Curry. That would at least show an intention to progress and take risk.

Squad is easily good enough if used properly
I agree. I have been saying for weeks that the players lack the motivation and desire that would raise their game above other teams. Being required to churn out the sort of stuff that Parky demands week after week on top of being played out of position must be as soul destroying for them as it is for us to watch.

If we don't believe they can do it you can bet that they certainly don't. AND they can see as well as we can that while Parky is here nothing is going to change.

Not BS at all, anyone (apart from you) can see how poor the league is, we have been shit all season yet still arent far away from top 2.
There are many fans if not all that realise that this league is sh!t, we are sh!t and show no signs of competing for a top two place, we are currently in 7th whoopee doo cause for celebration.
Logon or register to see this image

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back