Spurs the only team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tottenham's name comes from the name of a 14th-century Tottenham man, Sir Harry Hotspur, who featured in one of Shakespeare's plays, Henry the Fourth. He was a soldier, and a very fierce fighter. So, the team from Tottenham adopted this name and became Tottenham Hotspur, which is shortened to 'Spurs'.

This is correct but he was actually a Northumbrian. His statue is in Alnwick Castle.

With Tottenham playing today on telly this will be a good chance to keep track on how they only get called Spurs and not their proper name.

Notts is not a shortening of Nottingham, it's a shortening of Nottinghamshire, to call them Notts Forest is not calling them by their name, you've just proved yourself wrong mate

People in Nottingham often referred to the irony of Nottingham Forest being called that when their ground isn't in Nottingham but in Nottinghamshire. By contrast Notts County named after Nottinghamshire is in the city of Nottingham. The Trent is the boundary between Nottingham and Rushcliffe.

People in Nottingham often referred to the irony of Nottingham Forest being called that when their ground isn't in Nottingham but in Nottinghamshire. By contrast Notts County named after Nottinghamshire is in the city of Nottingham. The Trent is the boundary between Nottingham and Rushcliffe.

Good knowledge

Over here, we think they play In Sherwood Forest :)

That's not my argument at all. It's that every other mainstream club mention is just shortening of first name of club. Spurs is the only one in England apart from Boro and Dons that is used widely instead of their real name.
I'm just wondering, who the fuck calls Wimbledon, Dons ?! Never heard that in my life. At no point would this conversation ever happen.

'looking forward to the match on sat.
Who you playing ?
Dons.

I've got a friend called Dave Smith. he gets called Smithy. Does this help?
Not Smudger?

This is correct but he was actually a Northumbrian. His statue is in Alnwick Castle.
Sir Henry Percy, Duke of Northumberland.

Not Smudger?

Sir Henry Percy, Duke of Northumberland.

Somebody mentioned the use of the cockerel as 'Spurs' mascot. I believe that refers to the archaic practice of cock fighting where the birds were often kitted out with spurs to make the action more bloody. This thread may have been started by a numptie's ignorance but it demonstrates for me that football is not just about the game, it is about our common culture and social history and a huge part of the British psyche.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back