Springwatch 2017

Wikipedia reckons body up to 53cm and tail up to 25cm. Females usually a little bit smaller than males. They're not overtaking red pandas or fennec foxes worldwide yet but they've drawn level with aardvarks worldwide but they are well clear for me as far favourite British wild mammal is concerned.
Having seen Scottish Wildcat as well as Pine Marten while in the Speyside/Aviemore area it's a close call for me. The Red Squirrel and Otter are tremendous to observe as well especially when observed for extended periods of time. Although my main interest lies in birds, I've been lucky to see all of the main creatures featured in this year's Springwatch - including meeting Packham at Minsmere last year.

Having seen Scottish Wildcat as well as Pine Marten while in the Speyside/Aviemore area it's a close call for me. The Red Squirrel and Otter are tremendous to observe as well especially when observed for extended periods of time. Although my main interest lies in birds, I've been lucky to see all of the main creatures featured in this year's Springwatch - including meeting Packham at Minsmere last year.

Being a keen fisherman I can't grow to like Otters.
I share your interest in birds though.
We don't have any Woodpecker threats in our garden against the nest boxes with chicks in as I be,uneven I put enough food out that is reduces the need to go for the chicks.
Green, Greater and Lesser Spotted varieties are frequent visitors to our garden.
We have nesting Chiff Chaffs, Blackcaps, and Bullfinches where we live so really lucky to hear them and see them in the garden.
Removing the grey squirrels has certainly helped. 43 shot now as well as 10 Magpies.

As for releasing Pine Martens in areas to increase the Red Squirrel population is the most stupid thing mentioned on Spring Watch.
This will tip the balance of nature with the bird population severely declining or moving away to safer environments.
The trouble is with Packham he needs to also understand the effect of Crayfish, Mink and Cormorants. Otters have already devastated small river fish populations to the effect that they have little food left and are moving further out competing with already over populated Otter areas.
Otters travel over 5 miles along river banks in search of food. No escape for large fish in small rivers.
Introducing Otters to most U.K. rivers has had a negative impact to fish stocks.
Rivers like the Cherwell and Windrush down here have nearly had all large fish stocks wiped out. Walking the banks I don't see any large Chub any more which raises serious concerns to what is going on.

Last edited:
Being a keen fisherman I can't grow to like Otters.
I share your interest in birds though.
We don't have any Woodpecker threats in our garden against the nest boxes with chicks in as I be,uneven I put enough food out that is reduces the need to go for the chicks.
Green, Greater and Lesser Spotted varieties are frequent visitors to our garden.
We have nesting Chiff Chaffs, Blackcaps, and Bullfinches where we live so really lucky to hear them and see them in the garden.
Removing the grey squirrels has certainly helped. 43 shot now as well as 10 Magpies.
It's a fine balance as well you know. I'm not a fisherman and have little interest other than North Sea cod and shellfish;). Despite travelling as far as Norfolk, (Holkham) Notts (Rufford Country Park) and Doncaster (walked miles around Potteric Carr one time searching hours for the resident birds) I've checked all the known and former territories in County Durham but cannot find a Lesser spotted woodpecker for love nor money. I'm now out of the loop so it will probably remain the missing bird on my British list. They obviously become rarer in the north.

One day.... I'll give up footy for twitching! :oops:

Last edited:
It's a fine balance as well you know. I'm not a fisherman and have little interest other than North Sea cod and shellfish;). Despite travelling as far as Norfolk, (Holkham) Notts (Rufford Country Park) and Doncaster (walked miles around Potteric Carr one time searching hours for the resident birds) I've checked all the known and former territories in County Durham but cannot find a Lesser spotted woodpecker for love nor money. I'm now out of the loop so it will probably remain the missing bird on my British list. They obviously become rarer in the north.

2 were in my garden 30 min ago as I'd just replaced the suet block and they love that. I'm Newcastle West but live right next to a Dene, which is why I get all kinds of birds.

2 were in my garden 30 min ago as I'd just replaced the suet block and they love that. I'm Newcastle West but live right next to a Dene, which is why I get all kinds of birds.
Two?? Are you sure? Not being rude but are they not the very common Greater spotted woodpecker as two Lesser Spots in or around what I presume is Jesmond Dene would cause quite a stir.

That's what I dee if there nee footy on marra

Usually gan for a walk up Eston hill s bout 12 mile round trip

Two?? Are you sure? Not being rude but are they not the very common Greater spotted woodpecker as two Lesser Spots in or around what I presume is Jesmond Dene would cause quite a stir.
Ah you are probably right. I always get them confused. Blame the vet I took one to last year as he told me that. As he didn't realise the African pygmy hedgehog I also took was not an outdoor species I should have known not to rely on his word. Oops. :D

Ah you are probably right. I always get them confused. Blame the vet I took one to last year as he told me that. As he didn't realise the African pygmy hedgehog I also took was not an outdoor species I should have known not to rely on his word. Oops. :D
Was nearly on me way there mind;) Lesser Spot are sparrow/finch sized compared to the much bigger Great spot which are 50% bigger like Starling. - just in case you ever find one :lol:

That's what I dee if there nee footy on marra

Usually gan for a walk up Eston hill s bout 12 mile round trip
You're quite spoilt up there marra. South Gare and even better north of the Tees (the old Yorks v Durham rivalry happens in birding as well but without the nastiness. TBC is a good site and I know a few members and some of the best photographers (have a look for some of Ian Forrest's work or look for IanF. I once bumped into him at 5am one morning looking at Capercaillie in Abernethy Forest, Loch Garten when he greeted me with "aright Steve, what you doing here"? I know some birders more obsessed than MLF's

From Hartlepool to Redcar might not win many beauty contests but will be among the best birdwatching places in Britain.

Last edited:
Was nearly on me way there mind;) Lesser Spot are sparrow/finch sized compared to the much bigger Great spot which are 50% bigger like Starling. - just in case you ever find one :lol:
Okay, right. I'll keep me eyes open! Just seen a jay earlier today and it's been a while since I saw one here, so I was probably over excited. :lol:

Back