"Sports" that shouldn't be olympic sports.

Never understand why they have medals for all the different swimming strokes, fastest competitor over the distance wins, FFS if a shark was chasing you who would swim backstroke
A shark could definitely swim faster than me but then I reckon I'm always going to be faster than the shark at running. So if it was a triathlon it's all going to come down to the cycling.

Why isn't it a sport? It's physically very demanding and technically very skilled.

Its inclusion in the Olympics makes total sense as well. It has a huge amateur following across the world but a fairly limited professional scene.
If you kept falling off a snowboard at the Winter Olympics no one would say that you were 'technically very skilled'.

Maybe the standards in skateboarding are much lower.

My lass was going to swim for Team GB at the 2012 Olympics but it was pretty much either commit to the 'sport' forever (Severley underfunded, not financially rewarding) so gave it up and went to Uni instead.
I think that sums up sport now, well certainly elite sport. up until the 1980s amateurs were amateurs, and competed for the love of the sport. Of course they had no chance against the full time amateurs (and their doctors) of the Eastern block, or college coached kids from the US of A. So now we have a system thats pours loads of cash into elite sport, whilst the sport at grass roots is completely ignored, and certainly underfunded. The London olympics were supposed to encourage young inner city kids to get involved, the didn't really happen. Still West Ham are quite happy to lease the main stadium for a paltry 2 million a season!

If you kept falling off a snowboard at the Winter Olympics no one would say that you were 'technically very skilled'.

Maybe the standards in skateboarding are much lower.
Or it's a more difficult sport? I don't know how anyone can argue these people aren't technically skilled, they're absolutely incredible. Have any of you even tried riding a skateboard? :lol: It's not easy.

Should include some games from childhood.
Tuggy
Tuggy on high
Best Man Falls
Tally Ho!
Freestyle After School Fights
Hide and Seek
Bulldog
Kerby
There's also the Paralympics to consider. Kerby would be the first time someone from the Paralympics competed in the normal ones (probably) and they might have a shout at Best Man Falls anarl. If skateboarding and horse dancing or in, then there's room for these sports.

Why isn't it a sport? It's physically very demanding and technically very skilled.

Its inclusion in the Olympics makes total sense as well. It has a huge amateur following across the world but a fairly limited professional scene.

I agree. If skateboarding wasn’t allowed in it so shouldn’t surfing!

or in the Winter Olympics snowboarding!
It doesn't require judges, so it's got a leg up on any of those.

not really physically demanding though? Pushing some big stones over ice

Last edited:

Back