Sports personality of the year tonight

Seem to remember hearing his Dad was working 2 or 3 jobs to get enough money to get him going. With his brother’s disability as well I’d guess they’d have been pretty tough times for the family.

Billy Monger’s parents don’t look like they were born with silver spoons in their gobs either.

Hamilton went to a state school. Same one as Ashley Young... and Billy Monger's parents don't come across as Lord and Lady Monger of Charlwood. I'd guess they were both from hard working families, which the government love, and put a lot of time and money into their sons' passions, although I'd also guess that sponsors and teams would have taken over financially once their talent emerged.

Hamilton went to a state school. Same one as Ashley Young... and Billy Monger's parents don't come across as Lord and Lady Monger of Charlwood. I'd guess they were both from hard working families, which the government love, and put a lot of time and money into their sons' passions, although I'd also guess that sponsors and teams would have taken over financially once their talent emerged.
That’s about how I see it as well. The raw talent has to be there though before the money men start sniffing round.

That’s not to say that other drivers on the grid haven’t come through the playboy/vanity route.

Quite enjoyed that. Thought Georgia Hall was a bit unlucky not to be nominated. She looked a bit pissed off when she was introduced half way through the show.

2018: year of the woman.

Sick of it.

Cant believe that the netball team won team of the year and moment of the year when the mens footy team should have clearly been winners of both given the summer they gave the whole country. Like some have said I didn't even know the netballers won owt.

On another note fair play to GT although Lewis was my shout.

Not saying it's not a worthy winner, but that moment apparently happened at 4am so very few would have witnessed it live and I'd imagine many would literally be seeing it for the first time tonight.

Since when did minority sports win this fucker. Netball?

It's a first for netball but it's the first time that a British team have won anything significant in netball. It was an incredibly dramatic moment of sporting action and it represented 50% of the population.

Not saying it's not a worthy winner, but that moment apparently happened at 4am so very few would have seen it live and I'd imagine many would literally be seeing it for the first time tonight.

Later repeat was watched by loads. In fairness, the Fury fight was around the same time and on pay per view and Woods win was utterly insignificant to a British audience (I've honestly no idea why that was in there TBH).

Last edited:
Billie Jean king having her spot on her soapbox. I wonder if she pushes for the Women having to slog it out for the first to three sets at Wimbledon like the men have to.

It's a first for netball but it's the first time that a British team have won anything significant in netball. It was an incredibly dramatic moment of sporting action and it represented 50% of the population.

Later repeat was watched by loads. In fairness, the Fury fight was around the same time and on pay per view and Woods win was utterly insignificant to a British audience (I've honestly no idea why that was in there TBH).

Aye, fair point regarding Fury being similar time - thought the fact it happened 15 days ago might have swung it more his way. I did actually assume the football would take it with it seemingly capturing more people's imagination, but I guess you can't argue with someone actually winning something especially so late in the match.

Aye, fair point regarding Fury being similar time - thought the fact it happened 15 days ago might have swung it more his way. I did actually assume the football would take it with it seemingly capturing more people's imagination, but I guess you can't argue with someone actually winning something especially so late in the match.

TBH, I thought Kane would win and expected the penalties to win. But, Southgate got coach of the year....

Did Henry Cooper win it again? David Coleman always has a good word for him and he was very popular with me mam. I haven't watched the show for years mind. Just a lot of people wining a prize for wining a prize

The irony of this post man.

Yes, its often a rich kids sport. But he wasn't one of them. He did it with next to no money at all, purely on talent.

Looking closer at his history I'm not sure it was quite 'no money at all' but I get what you're saying mate. My point was more about the accessibility of each of the sports than any reverse snobbery, and what Thomas has had to fight against to top his.

Back