Spiritualist Medium

So you've got nothing? :lol:

To say that something has no basis of fact scientifically you would require a null hypothesis. Otherwise you're just clattering your gums.

Not believing in something is fine. I've never implied I believed the medium I saw could predict the future because I still don't believe in it, but when there's a lot of strange coincidences all together you get to wonder 'how has he done that?'

Incidentally people on this board read one thing and see something that's not there. They make assumptions that someone believes something, just because a person finds curiosity in that subject. People like that are usually quite dim and narrow minded. An old quote by Mark Twain springs to mind

'It's not the things we don't know that gets us into trouble, it's the things we know for sure that just ain't so'

Enjoy your morning ;)

When I see Penn and Teller perform I think "How do they do that?"

What I don't do is think "They're witches! Genies! Sorcerers! It's genuine magic!"

If you want to look at it scientifically then the onus of proof is on those that claim that they can talk to the dead. It's not up to me to prove they can't.

To date, I've seen zero evidence of anything supernatural that can't be explained by non-supernatural means.

If anyone could, there was a $1m prize on offer from 1964 until 2015 that nobody claimed.

When I see Penn and Teller perform I think "How do they do that?"

What I don't do is think "They're witches! Genies! Sorcerers! It's genuine magic!"

If you want to look at it scientifically then the onus of proof is on those that claim that they can talk to the dead. It's not up to me to prove they can't.

To date, I've seen zero evidence of anything supernatural that can't be explained by non-supernatural means.

If anyone could, there was a $1m prize on offer from 1964 until 2015 that nobody claimed.
Aye but I've not said I believe it is what they claim, then I get the sarcastic comments implying I'm gullible. I've said what I witnessed and I have no explanation for it.

Actually the established scientific practice is to put a theory forward and disprove it.

When a therapist "creates an alternative" it isn't telling the person that their painful experience didn't happen, it's finding a way to help them "think happy thoughts" rather than dwelling on the painful experience when certain things trigger those experiences.

They are in no way "conning" the patient or lying to them the way mediums and spiritualists are.

I'm sure they're very clever with the way they lie to people.

The two main ways are:

Cold reading - Wikipedia

...and:

Hot reading - Wikipedia
But I was on somebody elses ticket, booked at the venue originaly, in a large audience...no names or details on tickets. The bloke was from another continent, knew my deceased mates name and how he died, also the work issue I was having at the time...was incredible.

So you've got nothing? :lol:

To say that something has no basis of fact scientifically you would require a null hypothesis. Otherwise you're just clattering your gums.

Not believing in something is fine. I've never implied I believed the medium I saw could predict the future because I still don't believe in it, but when there's a lot of strange coincidences all together you get to wonder 'how has he done that?'

Incidentally people on this board read one thing and see something that's not there. They make assumptions that someone believes something, just because a person finds curiosity in that subject. People like that are usually quite dim and narrow minded. An old quote by Mark Twain springs to mind

'It's not the things we don't know that gets us into trouble, it's the things we know for sure that just ain't so'

Enjoy your morning ;)
Agree with this ,i'm not endorsing them but the "its all made up "lot cant explain how someone would know something so personal to an individual,often details only someone no longer here would know
Another i thought about last night ,a lad from work rode with a complete stranger to collect a new van from carlisle . Never met him,lives in Stanley
Before he got in the lads there were saying "haha,he'll have you ,wait til he starts on you " etc .our lad just laughed
Few mile in he asked if he could chat to him and he said no probs
Then followed loads of specific information about his late dad and loads of info specific to conversations they'd had due to a very nasty rift in the family
Free of charge ,no weak,no vunerable ....

I've a dear friend who, although now retired, was both a lead clinical pyschologist and an accredited psychotherapist.
Because she spent a lot of her time working with people who were struggling she was amazingly adept at picking up the slightest clues about folk and would often seemingly pick up stuff in social situations with out any obvious clues.
'How'd you do that?' I'ask
''Didn't you spot his breathing went shallow,' she'd answer, or some such thing.
She had amazingly advanced powers of empathy and body langauge observation and I always took it that this was the basis of a lot of what's described as 'hot' or 'cold' reading techniques.
In 2005 however I was due to have an operation for lung cancer in the Harefield Hospital and the prognosis wasn't good. The cancer had wrapped itself round a main artery and the operation accordingly had major risk.
The night before the op a fellow patient approached my bed. A complete stranger.
'Don't worry,' he said,
'Uh' came my reply
'Yeah,' he said 'they are all here...'
Then he named each one of half a dozen of my deceased relatives.
'Yeah, they're all here looking over you, 'he continued, 'they want you to know this is not your time, it will be but not yet.'
'Who, whaat' i stuttered
'Ah,' he says 'I'm Brian and I'm a coach driver but I've always had the gift....'
Now remember he'd named half a dozen of my dead reatives, I was 70 miles away from my home at that time and 250 miles away from Sunderland. I'd never seen him before. And I'm a typical product of a working class background who benefitted from an evidence based scientific education. I can't explain it. I can explain my clever friend's ability but I'm left with the fact that I can't explain how Brian knew what he knew that night to me in hospital. And by my absolute word this is true.

I've a dear friend who, although now retired, was both a lead clinical pyschologist and an accredited psychotherapist.
Because she spent a lot of her time working with people who were struggling she was amazingly adept at picking up the slightest clues about folk and would often seemingly pick up stuff in social situations with out any obvious clues.
'How'd you do that?' I'ask
''Didn't you spot his breathing went shallow,' she'd answer, or some such thing.
She had amazingly advanced powers of empathy and body langauge observation and I always took it that this was the basis of a lot of what's described as 'hot' or 'cold' reading techniques.
In 2005 however I was due to have an operation for lung cancer in the Harefield Hospital and the prognosis wasn't good. The cancer had wrapped itself round a main artery and the operation accordingly had major risk.
The night before the op a fellow patient approached my bed. A complete stranger.
'Don't worry,' he said,
'Uh' came my reply
'Yeah,' he said 'they are all here...'
Then he named each one of half a dozen of my deceased relatives.
'Yeah, they're all here looking over you, 'he continued, 'they want you to know this is not your time, it will be but not yet.'
'Who, whaat' i stuttered
'Ah,' he says 'I'm Brian and I'm a coach driver but I've always had the gift....'
Now remember he'd named half a dozen of my dead reatives, I was 70 miles away from my home at that time and 250 miles away from Sunderland. I'd never seen him before. And I'm a typical product of a working class background who benefitted from an evidence based scientific education. I can't explain it. I can explain my clever friend's ability but I'm left with the fact that I can't explain how Brian knew what he knew that night to me in hospital. And by my absolute word this is true.

In 2005 and with internet access, and your name above your head on a whiteboard no doubt, or in the corridor, he could probably have worked a few things out.
Granted that's a fair bit of work for a stranger to do, but if he felt inclined and if he thought it might make you feel relaxed, then fair enough.
That's me being extremely cold and rational, I hope it didn't come off as being rude.

FWIW, Mini-K comes out with a few things you don't expect and Mrs K's reaction is "She's been here before". Bearing in mind that we're all made of the same atoms which have been kicking around since we were stardust, it wouldn't surprise me if some things stick to a cluster over time and get brought back to the fore, but I'd be surprised if it's as simple as that. Memories don't work like that. Shared experiences get passed down, but that's something else.
I think people who believe that "water has memory" are dangerously insane. That on the other hand is intentionally rude.

Freewill ,one mans freedom is a prison to another .Some people need protection of course but we all have our path to take
Sure. It was just an observation. We all must make our own choices and decisions.

Imagine though how different the world would be without people falling for psychics and religion. On the other hand there would be fewer ghost stories and such like.

Some people in the US set up fake Facebook profiles, posted fake information on them which included personal details, like the anniversary of a death of a sibling, and also posted about going to a psychic/medium show in the town in a few days time. They troop up to the theatre, and lo and behold...is there a Jane here? Got a new puppy but you're missing your brother as it's a year now, isn't it...

Some people in the US set up fake Facebook profiles, posted fake information on them which included personal details, like the anniversary of a death of a sibling, and also posted about going to a psychic/medium show in the town in a few days time. They troop up to the theatre, and lo and behold...is there a Jane here? Got a new puppy but you're missing your brother as it's a year now, isn't it...
Some people have too much time on their hands.

John or Thomas, an elderly gentleman who died recently? Anyone who lives in a house? Anyone who breathes air? Is there an Elsie, might not be Elsie... it might be Nancy, or Margaret. Is there a Margaret? Is that ypu love? Was your husband called Ted? Oh, he wasn't. Ever known anyone called Ted? No? Are you sure? Was your husband unwell when he passed? Ad nauseum.
Me, private reading as my daft brother needed to make a point.

Medium: Do you know of anyone killed in a motorbike accident.
Me: Yes...five in all.
Medium: That's unusual.
Me: Not really because my family knew all of them too, in fact there can't be many people that haven't known someone that's died in a motorbike accident.
Medium: I don't.
Me: Probably to do with having less friends then.
Medium: And what do you mean by that.
Me: Percentages.
Medium: Shall we just leave it here, you don't have to pay me.

I kept the money and told my brother she was fantastic...RESULT!

love all this kind of thing, its interesting to be honest.

sometimes things happen or are said that just cant be explained, doesn't prove its real, just that it cant be explained.

Plenty of fakes busted over the years or been shown to use underhand methods, all that proves is that person is a fake not that its all fake and make believe, science has moved on and explained so much stuff, stuff which a few hundred years ago was seen as magic and is now science fact, so i keep an open mind, maybe its a kind of telepathy at the end of the day brain waves could be picked up by a sensitive person like some kind of radio receiver and what the person thinks is a "spirit" is just the thoughts of someone else? We are still leaning about the power of the brain and it could be just s likely as some other world spirit.

same as ghosts, love how ghosts have change over the years, from ghostly figures to orbs, love it all, doesn't mean its real, I would class myself as an open minded sceptic.

In 2005 and with internet access, and your name above your head on a whiteboard no doubt, or in the corridor, he could probably have worked a few things out.
Granted that's a fair bit of work for a stranger to do, but if he felt inclined and if he thought it might make you feel relaxed, then fair enough.
That's me being extremely cold and rational, I hope it didn't come off as being rude.

FWIW, Mini-K comes out with a few things you don't expect and Mrs K's reaction is "She's been here before". Bearing in mind that we're all made of the same atoms which have been kicking around since we were stardust, it wouldn't surprise me if some things stick to a cluster over time and get brought back to the fore, but I'd be surprised if it's as simple as that. Memories don't work like that. Shared experiences get passed down, but that's something else.
I think people who believe that "water has memory" are dangerously insane. That on the other hand is intentionally rude.
Not rude, merely sceptical. I can understand that.
However whilst I truly believe in an altruistic aspect to human nature it is a stretch to believe that a fellow patient in a cancer ward would have had the energy or indeed the internet access to do as you suggest.

Want to say more about 'shared memories' as recent research believes that it's a genetic response, a genetic component., or so I understand. Bert Hellinger? His Wiki page is horrendous but he was exploring this decades ago with incredible success. One of my all time heroe's.

Back