Spiritualist Medium

Actually, my Mum used to help run the Sunderland Spiritualist Church in Grange Terrace off Stockton Road.
You really shouldn't "diss" stuff you're not willing to think about or even try to understand.
It's free to go to and attend... nobody pushing anything at you.... I went a few times.
To many folks it gives a lot of comfort in often very difficult times... and as I said, they don't charge anything!
Sometimes it's better to have an open mind about some of this stuff..... and it's very different to the folks you'd call "fortune tellers" etc.... which is maybe what the OP was getting after....
Are you insane? Nobody can talk to people who are dead.

I totally understand the fact some people find succour in a sympathetic environment, and gently allowing someone to do so can be a kindness. I’ve no wish to dissuade anyone from seeking out something which helps them cope in difficult times.

But, and let’s not fuck about, to perpetuate the fact that some people with ‘the gift’ can talk to someone’s late relative is f***ing exploitative.

I got dragged along to a large audience medium spook thing, was about a couple of hundred people in the hall.
Cut a long story short,the medium who was from the Usa, singled me out, mentioned corectly the name of a good friend who took his own life a year or so before, he knew we also worked together and mentioned a work issue I had.
Not a believer, but still cant work out how he did it.

Actually, my Mum used to help run the Sunderland Spiritualist Church in Grange Terrace off Stockton Road.
You really shouldn't "diss" stuff you're not willing to think about or even try to understand.
It's free to go to and attend... nobody pushing anything at you.... I went a few times.
To many folks it gives a lot of comfort in often very difficult times... and as I said, they don't charge anything!
Sometimes it's better to have an open mind about some of this stuff..... and it's very different to the folks you'd call "fortune tellers" etc.... which is maybe what the OP was getting after....
Interesting, my Mam used to run the Newcastle Rd one. It certainly is a difficult debate, especially when people talk about them being worse than paedos, and I have seen quite a few charlatans over the years. I’ve seen far more people who just want to offer some support. I’d recommend going along to a meeting, costs nothing and they tend to be lovely folk.

I don't think it's fair on the mental health services to be suggesting their trade is on par with con artists that claim they're talking to the dead.
That's a very loose net you throw as far as mental health services
Just different amounts of snake oil used in some cases . I just think for all it may be a pack of lies the end result from two people coming together maybe beneficial for the one seeking peace of mind or closure or whatever you want to call it .
I think they rank above paedos to be fair.
Why nor
They're very like people who sneak into the houses of the elderly, vulnerable and grieving and steal money and jewellery from them, except at least those people go to the house to rob them, most 'mediums' and 'spiritualists' make their victims travel to them.

Scandalous that so many venues make good money by facilitating this preying on the bereaved.

The 'therapy' argument doesn't wash with me, because therapists are clear about what they're doing and how they're doing it. Spiritualists and mediums lie about everything they do. The entire premise of their relationship with anyone they're talking to is based on a lie. They're fraudsters, liars, con-artists and thieves.

Canny lads and lasses, apart from that.
If therapy is that noble why dont the American bunch send them all home and show them stats from countries who don't need them in their life to the degree they do .?
If they were really good they'd teach people to think through life's twists and turns themselves and sign them off after 4 weeks
I'm not talking mental health cases here but perfect normal adults thinking they need other people to explain things to them

Last edited:
Our lass (no) and her mates were booked to see one last Friday, been booked for months. She got a phone call Friday lunchtime from the lady to say she was going to have to cancel "Due to Unforeseen Circumstances" PMSL when she told me and told her to get a refund.

While not conning anyone , certain times in therapy it is appropriate to rescript thought or image . Where the mind continually accesses a brutal , depressing or disturbing truth it's no bad thing to create an alternative . Even if it's not real . I suppose the difference is a therapist gets permission to do that and makes no pretence at truth .

When a therapist "creates an alternative" it isn't telling the person that their painful experience didn't happen, it's finding a way to help them "think happy thoughts" rather than dwelling on the painful experience when certain things trigger those experiences.

They are in no way "conning" the patient or lying to them the way mediums and spiritualists are.
I did say you have to think about this a bit... and it's not all things to all people.
The Spiritualist Church folks don't guarantee to "connect" to anyone for anyone... it's just if a "message" comes along.
Yes, I know... it sounds odd.. and it is in a way. I'm from a scientific background... and was very sceptical about it all... but in the couple of times I went there were no messages for me, but then I wasn't looking for any either. But... what I did see was very real and something that I couldn't easily "fit" in my scientific mind.
It did make me think that there are "souls" left after death that are not completely at "rest" with things... maybe they left things unfinished or have a desperate need to say something to the folks left behind? I do believe that in certain circumstances that there can be connections by the right people to those "souls" that need to ease their "consiousness" before going to "rest"... and hence what happens...
Afraid I don't think you're on the same page here... you're looking for a "show"... and it's not.....
If you're that interested then go along and find out.... they're the more peaceable folks you'll ever find!

I'm sure they're very clever with the way they lie to people.
I got dragged along to a large audience medium spook thing, was about a couple of hundred people in the hall.
Cut a long story short,the medium who was from the Usa, singled me out, mentioned corectly the name of a good friend who took his own life a year or so before, he knew we also worked together and mentioned a work issue I had.

The two main ways are:

Cold reading - Wikipedia

...and:

Hot reading - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Is there a john in the room?
John or Thomas, an elderly gentleman who died recently? Anyone who lives in a house? Anyone who breathes air? Is there an Elsie, might not be Elsie... it might be Nancy, or Margaret. Is there a Margaret? Is that ypu love? Was your husband called Ted? Oh, he wasn't. Ever known anyone called Ted? No? Are you sure? Was your husband unwell when he passed? Ad nauseum.

I've got a similar story. My mate asked me to go along to a tarot card reading so I went for a laugh. I thought it was all bollocks and he told me some very interesting things (all recorded) and was very specific about certain things that I thought were bollocks at the time but all turned out to be true. Most of the things he mentioned were things that I hadn't told anyone about, or hadn't yet happened.

I've got a similar story. My mate asked me to go along to a tarot card reading so I went for a laugh. I thought it was all bollocks and he told me some very interesting things (all recorded) and was very specific about certain things that I thought were bollocks at the time but all turned out to be true. Most of the things he mentioned were things that I hadn't told anyone about, or hadn't yet happened.
I have always admired psychics for their kindness in leaving the Lotto numbers to be won by for those less blessed with clairvoyant powers.

It is.

I saw it in my tealeaves.
So you've got nothing? :lol:

To say that something has no basis of fact scientifically you would require a null hypothesis. Otherwise you're just clattering your gums.

Not believing in something is fine. I've never implied I believed the medium I saw could predict the future because I still don't believe in it, but when there's a lot of strange coincidences all together you get to wonder 'how has he done that?'

Incidentally people on this board read one thing and see something that's not there. They make assumptions that someone believes something, just because a person finds curiosity in that subject. People like that are usually quite dim and narrow minded. An old quote by Mark Twain springs to mind

'It's not the things we don't know that gets us into trouble, it's the things we know for sure that just ain't so'

Enjoy your morning ;)

Back