SPELLING

Mentioned in the papers this morning that some universities are not bothered by spelling mistakes in work submitted by students.
Another drop in standards?
Correct decision?
What’s the point?
We are all going to hell in a handcart!
Very much a drop in standards if true. I understand we have autocorrect etc but punctuation grammar and spelling are incredibly important in many areas.

One thing I'm a bit naffed off about is my Open University exams, these are in assessment centres and are handwritten when all of the materials are available online meaning you are more likely to use word documents for notes..

Should we be moving towards online exams or is it important to keep hand written exams within academia?

Very much a drop in standards if true. I understand we have autocorrect etc but punctuation grammar and spelling are incredibly important in many areas.

One thing I'm a bit naffed off about is my Open University exams, these are in assessment centres and are handwritten when all of the materials are available online meaning you are more likely to use word documents for notes..

Should we be moving towards online exams or is it important to keep hand written exams within academia?
Give them all degrees or an A* for everything because it's not fair if some are capable and others are not because they might get really upset and cry.

The OP should of linked a sauce for this.

should have, not should of

One of the many errors that get on this Grammar school educated old fart!

The two examples in particular that really get on my tits are:

1. 'your' being used instead of 'you're'

2. 'treat' (pronounced as tret) instead of 'treated', as in, for example, the dogs were treat badly (no such word as treat in this context)

Last edited:
should have, not should of

One of the many errors that get on this Grammar school educated old fart!

The two examples in particular that really get on my tits are:

1. 'your' being used instead of 'you're'

2. 'treat' (pronounced as tret) instead of 'treated', as in, for example, the dogs were treat badly (no such word as treat in this context)
It woz a joke m8.

Some absolutely well educated people on here though

Or others like me who were educated in gods school "Pennywell Comp"

Spelling is important but no need for some of the shite comments

Back