SPELLING

Depends what the subject is.
Should a brilliant physicist get downgraded just because they cant spell?

The generation before you would have said exactly the same about your generation.
I've worked through at least a generation if not closing on two and I've got to say todays lot are by far really fucked up compared to any that went before from my experience.
Maybes the standards have been slipping decade on decade but it just seems they are fairly scraping the bottom of the barrel now.

The possible cause is the lack of respect for not only others but themselves, it's no wonder we have a growing mental health problem that is only going to get worse.

I've worked through at least a generation if not closing on two and I've got to say todays lot are by far really fucked up compared to any that went before from my experience.
Maybes the standards have been slipping decade on decade but it just seems they are fairly scraping the bottom of the barrel now.

The possible cause is the lack of respect for not only others but themselves, it's no wonder we have a growing mental health problem that is only going to get worse.

It's a different world though really though now. There's a lot of distraction and nonsense around now like the Internet and social media which contributes to the mental health problem.

It's also worth noting that the mental health problem is acknowledged now which is in part why it appears worse. Go back a couple of generations and people would have been afraid to speak out about abuse, homosexuality, PTSD etc. It was a far more repressed society.

There's good and bad that comes with modern life unfortunately, we've lost some good things as we've tried to move forward but we've also moved on from a lot of bad.

It's a different world though really though now. There's a lot of distraction and nonsense around now like the Internet and social media which contributes to the mental health problem.

It's also worth noting that the mental health problem is acknowledged now which is in part why it appears worse. Go back a couple of generations and people would have been afraid to speak out about abuse, homosexuality, PTSD etc. It was a far more repressed society.

There's good and bad that comes with modern life unfortunately, we've lost some good things as we've tried to move forward but we've also moved on from a lot of bad.

No idea what any of this has to do with Spelling mind :lol: I lost track of the thread discussion. Attention spans are non existent in people today!

Agree with it. Unless they're doing an English literature course then it should be irrelevant. It's harsh downgrading someone on a Maths degree for example just because they spell something wrong.

Obviously there's a limit how far you can go and using stuff like innit is a different story.

Come on it's not unusual now for the quite a number of people not to have a cuppa when they get out of bed on a morning but to have a joint, society has been on a downward spiral for a while, social media has just accelerated it.
Drugs have gone way beyond the recreational activity they once were for many.

Yes mental health issues are out there in the open but to me it's certainly hasn't made things better, it's still increasing rapidly by the day.

English now is vastly different to English when Shakespeare was inventing a good deal of it. Text speak has been around over 100 years, but become very common with the advent of mobile phones and their character limit. That passing over into Twitter is leading a change to be as understood as best as possible in the most concise way. Language only really fails if people don't understand you. If you know a word is misspelled or punctuation hasn't been used correctly, well the fact you could identify the errors means you could understand what they were trying to say.

Back