Speedo Thick

How do these people (this person) make a living? Surely they have bills to pay…
Don't know about him specifically but it gets to a point where certain high profile 'novelty' fundraisers get paid by charities to collect for their cause. There are a few on here who work for charities who might know more. @Keawyeds @Muppet
I'm a little uncomfortable about the whole thing. You can never say that raising money for charity is a bad thing, but there are a few of these types who believe their own publicity and consider themselves celebrities.

I was once furious when I got thrown out of the leisure centre for wearing similar trunks, then I realised that the "S" had fallen off them.

Maybe SpeedoMick had the same problem.
I know you’re posting this as humour.
But, I go swimming a couple of times a week, normally with a mate. About two months ago I had to point out to him that he might want to get some new trunks. The pair he was wearing had SPEEDO across the back of them but the S had come off. True story. Matt Damon is playing me in the movie.

Don't know about him specifically but it gets to a point where certain high profile 'novelty' fundraisers get paid by charities to collect for their cause. There are a few on here who work for charities who might know more. @Keawyeds @Muppet
I'm a little uncomfortable about the whole thing. You can never say that raising money for charity is a bad thing, but there are a few of these types who believe their own publicity and consider themselves celebrities.

To be fair to them, what does make a celebrity? I'd give greater kudos to someone dedicating their life to fundraising than some of the numb skulls who seem to have become celebrities for (in my view) reasons unknown.

To be fair to them, what does make a celebrity? I'd give greater kudos to someone dedicating their life to fundraising than some of the numb skulls who seem to have become celebrities for (in my view) reasons unknown.
We live in a generation where people are fêted as celebrities due to pouting on Instagram or other social media sites. These people actually think they perform a genuine service to society and we should be grateful to have them in our life.
But that is a discussion for a completely new thread.

I've been fundraising for years and to my knowledge I've never known anyone i.e. a "celebrity" be paid to go out with a bucket.
Certainly not in my area anyway.

To the best of my knowledge the celebrities who trekked Kilimanjaro etc for Comic Relief weren't paid to do it.

I've known charities pay celebrities to come to events to speak or present etc, but not collect.

In all honesty I don't know how he sustains what he's doing unless he has his own good financial backing and that people are willing to let him stay places for free - that's also quite possible. The planning of all that must take quite some time.

I know you’re posting this as humour.
But, I go swimming a couple of times a week, normally with a mate. About two months ago I had to point out to him that he might want to get some new trunks. The pair he was wearing had SPEEDO across the back of them but the S had come off. True story. Matt Damon is playing me in the movie.
Is it really a true story cos its a joke I've told on stage for at least 25 years? I've just cracked it in the post you're quoting. 🤷

I've been fundraising for years and to my knowledge I've never known anyone i.e. a "celebrity" be paid to go out with a bucket.
Certainly not in my area anyway.

To the best of my knowledge the celebrities who trekked Kilimanjaro etc for Comic Relief weren't paid to do it.

I've known charities pay celebrities to come to events to speak or present etc, but not collect.

In all honesty I don't know how he sustains what he's doing unless he has his own good financial backing and that people are willing to let him stay places for free - that's also quite possible. The planning of all that must take quite some time.
A lot of them benefit from the exposure and boost in profile. Not suggesting that's always why they do it but there have been big boosts to careers for people who have done those sort of challenges.

Celebrities certainly get paid for appearing on quiz shows where the winnings go to charities.

A lot of them benefit from the exposure and boost in profile. Not suggesting that's always why they do it but there have been big boosts to careers for people who have done those sort of challenges.

Celebrities certainly get paid for appearing on quiz shows where the winnings go to charities.

They do. Or at least their fee gets sent to charities rather than they get paid.

Speedo Mick started off collecting money for charity by going to Everton games in his budgie smugglers with a bucket to collect change from those attending the games. His charity fundraising has been borne from this small effort and ability to bear the cold. Every credit to the bloke.

I can’t name a celebrity fundraiser from the 80s who hasn’t got into some kind of bother, never mind one that walked around in Speedos

Just saying

Back