Speedboat "Killer"

Am I missing something, how is letting someone "drive" your vehicle who then unfortunately crashes & dies considered to be manslaughter?

For those who've missed the news for days: Speedboat killer hands himself in to police

Would the same happen if someone else drove your car & died when they crashed it?

(The "Speedboat" only went about 30 knots too)

Because the boat was defective with bad steering and no life jackets. He recklessly encouraged her to drive it as fast as he was beyond the 12 knot limit.

Doesn’t matter if she was driving , it was his boat and legally his responsibility to make sure any passengers were safe , no lifejackets worn and in terms of the boat : emergency pull cord disabled , steering defects etc. I wonder if he actually had insurance
Are these legal requirements? Any boat owners here, shed a light on facts?

Are these legal requirements? Any boat owners here, shed a light on facts?
I don’t know but my B-I-L in Holland had to have a cut out device strapped to your wrist. I was driving and when talking gestured too wildly and cut the engine with the safety cord. Boat stopped dead almost immediately. The bloke who got found guilty may have needed to have one of those devices. We then nearly shit ourselves as he couldn’t restart and we were drifting towards one of those 50ft by 200ft barges.

Because the boat was defective with bad steering and no life jackets. He recklessly encouraged her to drive it as fast as he was beyond the 12 knot limit.

How do we know that? There was only those two in the boat. Were there witnesses?

Obviously a speedboat is expected to be driven at speed so I would imagine he did encourage her, but maybe she got excited and just slammed the throttle open without encouragement. That would put a slightly different slant on things.

How do we know that? There was only those two in the boat. Were there witnesses?

Obviously a speedboat is expected to be driven at speed so I would imagine he did encourage her, but maybe she got excited and just slammed the throttle open without encouragement. That would put a slightly different slant on things.
Maybe that could have been brought up in court as a defence in the legal trial where he was found guilty after a jury was presented with all the evidence.
Don't understand why everyone is making excuses for some entitled knacker who has gone on the run after being found guilty and having to face up to his responsibilities.

Maybe that could have been brought up in court as a defence in the legal trial where he was found guilty after a jury was presented with all the evidence.
Don't understand why everyone is making excuses for some entitled knacker who has gone on the run after being found guilty and having to face up to his responsibilities.

Not making excuses Marra, just wondering about the facts. I believe he's guilty of her death whichever way the cards fall.

I'm sure I read somewhere that he was egging her on to drive the boat really fast. Others on here have implied the boat may not have been in good condition , if you combine the two then this was an accident that could have been prevented.

I'm sure I also read that he was only interested in saving himself and made no effort to try and help the girl when she was in the water.

Given by his actions of running away, I think he knew he was responsible. Otherwise why not stay put?

Just seems a wanker basically. Hope he gets extradited back to UK and banged up to do his time.

If Georgia has an extradition treaty with the UK it does.
So is it a crime to be a wanker who eggs someone on and only cares about himself?

She got pissed, drove the boat and crashed.

Is he a twat, probably. Is that a crime, no.

I know a fair bit about boats. How was the steering defective? And I'd say a large percentage of people never use the kill cord either.

So is it a crime to be a wanker who eggs someone on and only cares about himself?

She got pissed, drove the boat and crashed.

Is he a twat, probably. Is that a crime, no.

A court of law thinks that it is. His own actions of doing a runner imply to me that even he does.

Apart from being a wanker, he seems to be a bit of a thick bastard. Why would he want to hand himself in, in Georgia, then try to fight extradition?

Logical suggestions on back of a postage stamp please.

I know a fair bit about boats. How was the steering defective? And I'd say a large percentage of people never use the kill cord either.
It had a bit of "play", the lack of details makes me suspect that none of the defects had anything to do with the crash but are being used to portray the bloke in as bad a light as possible.

After?

Apart from being a wanker, he seems to be a bit of a thick bastard. Why would he want to hand himself in, in Georgia, then try to fight extradition?
Actually I think he's bright and cunning enough to have hatched the story about it being the woman who was driving while he was clinging to his boat and doing fuck all about her. Does anyone know for sure she was driving? He's bright enough to get it fixed that he has legal aid while on the run.

I fancy his handing himself in is because he was running short of money and in the hope that it portrays him in a positive light. He's a smug, sly, self centred little bastard.

Back