Speakman is Doing an Outstanding Job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birtley Lad

Full Back
Last seasons a number of posters were criticising Speakman and calling for him to go. One of the lessons in life is to ignore people who know nothing!

Speakman removed Johnson and made the astute decision to appoint Alex Neil. He was criticised in the January transfer window by so called experts. Yet the signings of Clarke, Roberts, Barth and Matele contributed to our promotion.

His template of turning an old squad ( Scowen, Leadbitter, Matthews, Baldwin, McLoughlin, McGeady,Mcquire) with NO asset value- into a young squad, increasing on longer contracts and with a rising asset value - has been very good viewing.

Speakman is doing an absolutely outstanding job. SAFC need to tie him down as EPL clubs (including top 6) are circling!!

Is he ? It’s early days and a lot of posters seem to have wet their knickers over a couple of young signings. Young signings they know nothing about.
I hope your title proves to be right because last season you couldn’t say that.
I hope he does an outstanding job I really do.

Last seasons a number of posters were criticising Speakman and calling for him to go. One of the lessons in life is to ignore people who know nothing!

Speakman removed Johnson and made the astute decision to appoint Alex Neil. He was criticised in the January transfer window by so called experts. Yet the signings of Clarke, Roberts, Barth and Matele contributed to our promotion.

His template of turning an old squad ( Scowen, Leadbitter, Matthews, Baldwin, McLoughlin, McGeady,Mcquire) with NO asset value- into a young squad, increasing on longer contracts and with a rising asset value - has been very good viewing.

Speakman is doing an absolutely outstanding job. SAFC need to tie him down as EPL clubs (including top 6) are circling!!
If stewart had got injured we would have been screwed and not much better off at central defence. Matete has got worse every game i’ve seen him play. The reason we were promoted is because of alex neil. Simple as that

aye rightio

If stewart had got injured we would have been screwed and not much better off at central defence. Matete has got worse every game i’ve seen him play. The reason we were promoted is because of alex neil. Simple as that
He recruited Neil. He also recruited Defoe, Clarke and Roberts - three attackers - in a three week period. Goals were not a problem in an attacking formation!

Last edited:
This follows a predictable pattern.
Start of the season he’s the dogs bollocks.
If we stutter and start to fail, it’s Speakmans fault, as his signing are too your or inexperienced.
Results dictate success , let’s see eh

Evening Kristjaan.

Well done on keeping our transfer business quiet and professional.

I still think you were incredibly lucky that Alex Neil dug you out of that hole last season, after you’d (i) sacked a manager on the eve of deadline day without a clue who was taking over, (ii) finished transfer deadline day by having left us with one fit left back at the club who was only 19yo, one fit senior centre half at the club who was only 17yo, and one “back up” centre forward who was nearly 40 and had played 8mins in 8 months; (iii) pissed about for the best part of a month making prospective managers do PowerPoint presentations, whilst the reserve team Chuckle Brothers were dropping loads of points; and (iv) overseen the worst finishing position to a full league season in the Clubs history,

All the best for this year. We all (genuinely) hope you do better, and that Alex Neil doesn’t have to paper over enormous cracks this time around

Last edited:
He got lucky in the sense that AN managed to get Winchester and Cirkin to play effectively at CB as we were definitely short in that area having let flanagan go without a replacement.

I won’t criticise the striker situation as Defoe should have helped us get over the line. There weren’t too many disappointed fans when he signed and it’s only with the benefit of hindsight that people can say it was a bad move. The crowd v Doncaster showed most were behind his signing. I o think something must have happened with Defoe as hes never mentioned us since leaving. Even if he decided to call it a day he could and should have helped us out til the end of the season and I think that’s harsh to pin on speakman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back