Spanish 3rd Division

Couldn’t believe it t’other day when I looked at their 2nd division table & Deportivo La Coruna were bottom.

One of those ‘big 6’ clubs I’ve always thought of in Spanish football.

Couldn’t believe it t’other day when I looked at their 2nd division table & Deportivo La Coruna were bottom.

Aye. My other team! 2nd leg of play off final in June to go up to the first. 2-0 up after home leg, went away to Mallorca and lost 3 nil. In freeefall ever since.

Loads of debt and rubbish owners. Sound familiar?

Aye. My other team! 2nd leg of play off final in June to go up to the first. 2-0 up after home leg, went away to Mallorca and lost 3 nil. In freeefall ever since.

Only Spanish game I’ve ever been to was Barca vs them on a stag weekend in 2003.
They won, comfortably.

Also remember it being a really big deal when Leeds managed to knock them out of the Champions League around the same time.

Me and @TartanMackem anarl. WTF is going on? Is there still no chance of the Zara feller stepping in?
Only Spanish game I’ve ever been to was Barca vs them on a stag weekend in 2003.
They won, comfortably.

Also remember it being a really big deal when Leeds managed to knock them out of the Champions League around the same time.
Morinios Porto knocked em out of the CL in the semis the year they won it.
Saw DlC destroy Arsenal at Highbury and thought this is the 2nd team for me. Seen em stuffed at Valencia, Real Madrid and Barca since. Saw a 0-0 in a preseason at Upton Park about ten years back though!

Last edited:

Real Madrid, Barcelona, Atletico Madrid, Athletic Bilboa, Valencia and Seville are the big 6 in Spain. The odd side gate crashes it now and then for a while but that's where the power lies. In this respect it not that dissimilar to England although we have had a couple of sides that have got in through mega investment which were not historically in that position
Bottom 4 in Segunda is Depor, Racing Santander, Oviedo and Malaga. :eek:

I just watched Alcorcon beat Malaga today and the standard made League 1 look like the champions league.

I saw Malaga at home last year while on holiday and they went top that day after winning 2-1 from behind. They have fallen back badly since losing in the play offs last season. Standard that day wasn't great but it was better than the Levante v Espanyol La Liga game me and Pete from here saw a few weeks back. That was truly dire.

Last edited:
Real Madrid, Barcelona, Atletico Madrid, Athletic Bilboa, Valencia and Seville are the big 6 in Spain. The odd side gate crashes it now and then for a while but that's where the power lies. In this respect it not that dissimilar to England although we have had a couple of sides that have got in through mega investment which were not historically in that position

Aye, of course, it’s all relative I guess.
They were certainly regularly in the ‘big 6’ or ‘top 6’ (or whatever we call it today) during the spell I was thinking of in the late 90s/early 00s.

I’m now gonna have a little think about who would make the ‘big 6’ of English football.
Obviously Man U, Arsenal, & Liverpool for starters.
Then there’s five possibilities for the remainding three spots 🤔

I’ve just read their Wiki page. Loads of similarities between us and them in terms of general mismanagement over a long period of time.

Deportivo were a champions league staple in the late 90s early 00s. They had a 9 goal thriller too if I remember correctly.
4-1 down after the first leg away to AC Milan. Won the the second leg 4-0 to go through.

Used to have class players like Roy Makaay, Valeron, Tristan and Naybet.

I think It's largely a generational thing. Until the early 90s, nobody outside of Spain had heard of La Coruna. If you grew up in the 60s/early 70s, Zaragoza would undoubtedly have been seen as one of the top 6 clubs. Then late 70s/early 80's Real Sociedad came to prominence. Nowadays you'd think of Sevilla

Shame to see them struggling. As someone said earlier its mad to see four relatively 'bigger' clubs in the bottom four in Segunda. I'd say they're too good to go down given how well they did last season (Malaga anarl) but its not always the case.

I think It's largely a generational thing. Until the early 90s, nobody outside of Spain had heard of La Coruna. If you grew up in the 60s/early 70s, Zaragoza would undoubtedly have been seen as one of the top 6 clubs. Then late 70s/early 80's Real Sociedad came to prominence. Nowadays you'd think of Sevilla

Looking at it, Sevilla seem to have a similar history to Chelsea in some ways - the little johnny come lately tinkers.
Up until 15 years ago they’d won little across their history & what they had was back in the 30s & 40s & then suddenly boom, they’re all over the place filling the trophy cabinet on a regular basis pretending to be one of their countries ‘big 6’.

Back