Spain to Portugal

Discussion in 'SMB' started by blackcat1395, Mar 14, 2019.

1. blackcat1395

blackcat1395 Winger

Has anybody ever booked trains in advance in Spain or Portugal? Going to Porto in June and flying to Santiago De Compostelas then hopefully train over the border to Porto. Flights to Porto are too expensive.

Secondary option is to hire a car but I'd rather.

Would prefer to physically have tickets rather than trying to jump on one on the day.

2. MackneyHackem

MackneyHackem Midfield

The trains in Spain were mainly plain sailing when I was there in January.

RossTheNinja, Aituk7, Arkle and 2 others like this.
  3. Done it with Renfe (Spain) before. Pretty straight forward to do it online. Look for the "tourista" tickets as they're the cheapest.

Goat Eyes and blackcat1395 like this.
  4. blackcat1395

blackcat1395 Winger

Did you buy in advance mate?
    Great. Thanks mate.

5. MackneyHackem

MackneyHackem Midfield

Some we did, some we didn't. Just checked the timetables online first before booking accommodation at the other end.

dangermows likes this.
  6. Goat Eyes

Goat Eyes Striker

blackcat1395 likes this.
  7. dangermows

dangermows Striker

You'll have no bother once there.

8. Gibraltar Mackem

Gibraltar Mackem Goalkeeper

You'll be fine mate. Fairly painless system over here.

blackcat1395 likes this.
  9. cjibber

cjibber Goalkeeper

I have used loco2 to buy Spanish train tickets before. They are usually the same price, sometimes slightly cheaper than RENFE. If the tickets you want are not available yet, they will e-mail you as soon as they go on sale.

10. blackcat1395

blackcat1395 Winger

Thanks for the advice fellas. I'd like to buy in advance ideally but confident I should be fine either way.

11. Stubbs ftm

Stubbs ftm Winger

Trains in Spain are excellent in my experience. Cheaper and better than ours. Use Renfe to book, you can print your tickets at home. Like over here the earlier you book the cheaper they can be

blackcat1395 and MackneyHackem like this.
  12. MackneyHackem

MackneyHackem Midfield

They had a film on and a proper bar with high tables and stools and whatnot on the train I got from Cordoba to Seville.

13. Stubbs ftm

Stubbs ftm Winger

Aye they did when I was on going from Barcelona to benicassim. Shame the film was all in Spanish like ;). 1st class is quality too if you can get a deal

14. MackneyHackem

MackneyHackem Midfield

Aye we were in first class I think, shame the journey was only 45mins and we were knackered.

15. bomber

bomber Central Defender

i could be wrong but i thought trains from portugal to spain dont cross borders

16. Rick O Shea

Rick O Shea Winger

Tito 2 Restaurant in Matosinhos is good if you like seafood.

17. I heard the rain in Spain falls mainly on the train.

18. EchoMan

EchoMan Winger

We went to Porto by getting a train to Stansted ( not as hard as it sounds) and cheap Ryanair flight direct.

By Jove he’s got it

19. bernardbresslaw

bernardbresslaw Striker

That's possible as the French ones used to stop at the border when we Inter-railed as kids (Portbou I think?).

20. Spain used to run on the Iberian Gauge tracks only. They've since started building Standard Gauge tracks so that it can link into the rest of the European network. Portugal runs both gauges too so crossing to Spain isn't a problem as long as there's a track to do so.

bernardbresslaw likes this.