SpaceX are going for it

just rewatched it and it landed on one raptor?

They knew about the shite landing legs anyways, its crazy how it landed sill.

yea 1 is plenty, more than that and it has too much power so would end up going back up. They can throttle them but not from 0-100%, it'll probably throttle down to about 40% (at a guess). They need to use 2 to slow it down, then turn one of modulate down to a gentle touchdown. The problem on SN8 and SN9 were that they were turning 2 on during the flip, and each time one of the two didn't fire enough for whatever reason. This time they fired all 3 and when they were fine they quickly cut one.

yea 1 is plenty, more than that and it has too much power so would end up going back up. They can throttle them but not from 0-100%, it'll probably throttle down to about 40% (at a guess). They need to use 2 to slow it down, then turn one of modulate down to a gentle touchdown. The problem on SN8 and SN9 were that they were turning 2 on during the flip, and each time one of the two didn't fire enough for whatever reason. This time they fired all 3 and when they were fine they quickly cut one.

yeah, for some reason i thought they were going to land on two. but pretty much figured it out as soon as i said it.

Didnt it then explode?

yup, but that doesn't really matter. The important thing is they have the manoeuvre sorted, they can use the wings to do the belly flop through the air directing it to the landing site, then fire the engines to flip it round to come down engines first, then do a gentle landing, there was a good chance it would never have flown again anyway, SN5 did one correctly then was pulled to bits. Sure there are things still to work out, the landing legs are being updated in a couple of version time and they still came in a touch too quickly. But this is rapid testing. They've gone through SN8/SN9/SN10 in the space of 3 months, SN11 is sitting in the construction building ready to roll out strap some engines too and test again. The version after that SN15 is already being put together. Compare that to what Nasa are doing with SLS, they had a static fire for 60 seconds rather than the planned 8 minutes in January and we haven't seen it since it is a very different philosophy.

yup, but that doesn't really matter. The important thing is they have the manoeuvre sorted, they can use the wings to do the belly flop through the air directing it to the landing site, then fire the engines to flip it round to come down engines first, then do a gentle landing, there was a good chance it would never have flown again anyway, SN5 did one correctly then was pulled to bits. Sure there are things still to work out, the landing legs are being updated in a couple of version time and they still came in a touch too quickly. But this is rapid testing. They've gone through SN8/SN9/SN10 in the space of 3 months, SN11 is sitting in the construction building ready to roll out strap some engines too and test again. The version after that SN15 is already being put together. Compare that to what Nasa are doing with SLS, they had a static fire for 60 seconds rather than the planned 8 minutes in January and we haven't seen it since it is a very different philosophy.

good stuff

Easier than having to move the whole rocket. :lol:
I thought how are they gonna dismantle that safely will be a nightmare for h&s then BOOM problem solved now they just need a big broom and truck. Not that they would admit to that of course, but hey Elon n spacex are not messing about, NASA would have been shut down for weeks of numerous meetings
would love a little bit all framed n that for posterity

So SN11 is going to fly this coming week, probably on Monday if every5hing goes well

for those interested there are some great channels and live streams, being a nerd I have one of each running on different devices So I feel like I’m in mission control lol.

Daily video updates from right on the doorstep of spacex Nasaspaceflight

Weekly updates and live streams what about it

News and live-streams Marcus house

Streams and news everyday astronaut

there is a lot happing right now history in the making for sure
The launch should be around 6.00pm - 7.00pm UK Time Today.

decent stream here with commentary.

NASAspaceflight Stream

Last edited:

Back