Space Science and Astronomy thread

Just walked out to the main road to have a look. Lovely and clear overhead. Thick band of cloud around the horizon where the planets are 🤦‍♀️

I got a reasonable view through my telescope. Managed to get them both (quite small) in view at the same time. Being early evening, low in the sky, high humidity and heat coming over the roof of the house they were rapidly disappearing behind, they were not crystal clear and not worth trying to get an image of.

Still good to see. I could make out the rings of Saturn, but no bands on Jupiter, that was just a disk. I could see the four biggest moons, and because there is a star close and inline, it looked like it had 5.

I got a reasonable view through my telescope. Managed to get them both (quite small) in view at the same time. Being early evening, low in the sky, high humidity and heat coming over the roof of the house they were rapidly disappearing behind, they were not crystal clear and not worth trying to get an image of.

Still good to see. I could make out the rings of Saturn, but no bands on Jupiter, that was just a disk. I could see the four biggest moons, and because there is a star close and inline, it looked like it had 5.
I’d love to see Saturn through my telescope. I’ve seen Jupiter and I was so hyped when I did.

Went to Kielder and saw Saturn up there which was brilliant but I’d love to do it myself like.

I can’t even find the moon through my telescope. What am I doing wrong?

It’s pointed there.my finder scope battery is dead but I should still be able to at least focus on summat? Is my scope knackered?

Also I’m finding it really hard to see the whole field of view through my eye piece. It’s like I have to be looking through it perfectly to see the whole circle and if I move it a tiny bit I’m struggling.

its literally years since I used my scope, and it used to work well. I’d love to get back into it, but my time is limited with kids now.

Back