Space Science and Astronomy thread

DaveH

Striker
There seems to be plenty of people on here interested in space and astronomy, but most of the discussion is in the conspiracy nut job threads, so I thought I’d kick off a thread for real space stuff.

The Quadrantid meteor shower tonight should put on a good show, info at
It should be better once the moon sets for those willing to stop up after 1am.

A few other highlights is Earth getting close to Mars in October, which should see it very bright and red in the autumn skies. Taking advantage of the short distance, there are a few rover missions due to launch in July.

The one I’m most excited about is at the end of the year, a conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn on the 21st December. They will be appearing closer to each other all year, but by mid December, both will appear in the same telescope field of view giving the opportunity to image both together. By the 21st they will look like one massive bright star in the western sky shortly after sunset. Just with an ordinary camera there should be some great sunset pictures as it shines bright in the orange and purple bands you get on the horizon.

There seems to be plenty of people on here interested in space and astronomy, but most of the discussion is in the conspiracy nut job threads, so I thought I’d kick off a thread for real space stuff.

A few other highlights is Earth getting close to Mars in October, which should see it very bright and red in the autumn skies. Taking advantage of the short distance, there are a few rover missions due to launch in July.

The one I’m most excited about is at the end of the year, a conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn on the 21st December. They will be appearing closer to each other all year, but by mid December, both will appear in the same telescope field of view giving the opportunity to image both together. By the 21st they will look like one massive bright star in the western sky shortly after sunset. Just with an ordinary camera there should be some great sunset pictures as it shines bright in the orange and purple bands you get on the horizon.
Thanks for the heads up on these Dave, especially the planetary sights later in the year.

Hopefully this thread won't get taken over by flattards.

This year should have 2 commercial suppliers take people upto the ISS from USA soil for the first time since the shuttle was retired.

We should also see some rapid unscheduled disassembly of the test starships.

Meanwhile close to home, recently our magnetic north pole is shifting, wonder how that affects (if at all) our astronomy.
If it moves further south, it increases our chances of seeing aurora. I have only seen it once, very faint from York. I live in the south now, so have very little chance, though this picture was taken from near where I live (not by me):
Logon or register to see this image

Do you use PhotoPills by any chance? I’m guessing Jupiter and Saturn will be on there so we’d get a good idea of best place to see them

Great idea and great thread mate.

Love telling my 4 year old about space and she has a genuine interest in it.

Venus was looking mighty fine a couple of nights ago early evening, love a good planet sighting.

Keep an eye on betelgeuse 👀

My Dad was desperate for it to go in his lifetime.

Could be a long wait Becs - Up to 100,000 years is the estimate which is a click of the fingers in astronomical terms :(
Meanwhile close to home, recently our magnetic north pole is shifting, wonder how that affects (if at all) our astronomy.

Don't the poles switch about every 300,000 years?

Orienteering will be a right laugh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great idea and great thread mate.

Love telling my 4 year old about space and she has a genuine interest in it.

Venus was looking mighty fine a couple of nights ago early evening, love a good planet sighting.

I remember trying to explain to my son about how much of the stuff we look at in the sky happened years ago - his face was a picture. If Betelgeuse goes supernova it happened at the time of Agincourt :cool:

Do you use PhotoPills by any chance? I’m guessing Jupiter and Saturn will be on there so we’d get a good idea of best place to see them
Not come across that, but a quick look seems like a canny resource. Cheers for the tip off.

They should both be low and to the west around sunset. I use stellarium to get a reasonable idea of what to expect.

Not come across that, but a quick look seems like a canny resource. Cheers for the tip off.

They should both be low and to the west around sunset. I use stellarium to get a reasonable idea of what to expect.
It’s well worth getting, £10 or so, takes a bit of getting used to but once you done it the amount of info is brilliant. There’s a load of tutorials on YouTube as well.

The white twisted clouds and the endless shades of blue in the ocean make the hum of the spacecraft systems, the radio chatter, even your own breathing disappear.
There is no cold or wind or smell to tell you
that you are connected to Earth. You have an almost dispassionate platform - remote, Olympian and yet so moving that you can hardly believe how emotionally attached you are to those rough patterns shifting steadily below

Thomas Stafford, Astronaut

Back