Space Science and Astronomy thread

Well.... I think I bought my old Celestron back in 2003?... that has GPS.... but it also has the "quick-align" which means you can get set up in a matter of a few minutes just by keying in date/time/lat/long - and that's more than enough for looking at planets etc.
The only alignment system I've seen similar to what you were thinking is Celestron's StarSense - which is fully automatic! Not sure quite how it does it as it says it doesn't used GPS.... mind you, from what I've seen it's pricey - nearly £300! - and only works on certain Celestron gear too! I'm sure more will come with time......
Mine is a Celestron NexStar 90SLT. It has a quick align but the Three Star is the most accurate.
Completely clouded over hear, no breaks whatsoever. Pleased I caught a glimpse last night.
Same here :(

Last edited:
Northumberland Dark Skies Festival is online this year with a number of lectures/events that you can join in online. There's a mixture of topics from theoretical based lectures to practical ones for those with photography equipment. They're all free.

Thanks. Deep sky astrophotography was one of my aims for this year (actually this winter but it has been cloudy every night for over a month now!), so I've just signed up for a free course :)

Thanks. Deep sky astrophotography was one of my aims for this year (actually this winter but it has been cloudy every night for over a month now!), so I've just signed up for a free course :)
Signed up as well, hope it covers how to set up my tracker properly especially when I’m half blind and can’t see the North Star for toffee. Sick to death of thinking I’ve got it aligned only to make a slight adjustment and knock the whole pigging thing out of alignment again!🤬😂

Last edited:
Possible new planet - 10X size of earth - but why not yet found?

An explanation has been put forward that it's a distributed belt of dust with total mass equal to that of a large planet.

Edit: that's the point of the article linked, should have read it first :oops:

Last edited:

Back