Space Science and Astronomy thread

Have always been interested in space although only at a high level (pardon the pun) and never really got into astronomy.

Love sci fi, especially space based stuff and the dream of what it will be like in the future.

What really annoys me though is our reliance still on rockets. All this talk of mining the moon, trips to Mars and beyond, we need a next generation propulsion system. Rockets are so 1960's.

Watched this the other day, my YouTube account throws me loads of stuff like that.

I'm subscribed to a channel called Astrum if you like that kind of stuff.
Have always been interested in space although only at a high level (pardon the pun) and never really got into astronomy.

Love sci fi, especially space based stuff and the dream of what it will be like in the future.

What really annoys me though is our reliance still on rockets. All this talk of mining the moon, trips to Mars and beyond, we need a next generation propulsion system. Rockets are so 1960's.
A massive elastic band should do it I reckon.

Last edited:
Rock samples on Mars collected, ready to be returned to Earth

Last edited:
Rock samples on Mars collected, ready to be returned to Earth

that link doesn’t work for me, but I suspect it is about this story

Though they don’t have immediate plans for how to collect them if I remember correctly.

that link doesn’t work for me, but I suspect it is about this story

Though they don’t have immediate plans for how to collect them if I remember correctly.

Think the plan is to send another rover whose sole job is to pick up the dropped sample tubes. Then it's to take them to a mini rocket which delivers them to an orbiting satellite which then comes back to earth. This is in the next decade or something.

Think the plan is to send another rover whose sole job is to pick up the dropped sample tubes. Then it's to take them to a mini rocket which delivers them to an orbiting satellite which then comes back to earth. This is in the next decade or something.
Elon and starship will be holidaying there by then man!!

That is roughly what I remember. I did wonder if it was to keep budget down, and it reduces complexity. Lowers the budget of the current mission but gives a really good reason for a future mission, so more funding.

I have it in hand 👍
Watched this the other day, my YouTube account throws me loads of stuff like that.

I'm subscribed to a channel called Astrum if you like that kind of stuff.

A massive elastic band should do it I reckon.
As long as it's tied to your knackers :D

Last edited:

Back