Space Science and Astronomy thread

@smoker any tips for the newbies?
I'm well out the loop mate. Work and kid pressures mean I haven't been able to devote much time to the hobby for the last few years.

However the advice I always give to beginners is to keep it simple to start with. Start with binoculars, especially if you live in a light polluted area and need to travel to dark skies. Then move up to a simple goto alt-az scope or a dobsonian reflector and learn the objects in the sky. Having to polar align puts a lot of beginners off, so avoid equatorial mounts until you're a lot more comfortable with the hobby.
Tagging @Shusssh too. Sorry for being a long time in answering.

This months Sky At Night magazine reviewed two which are a reasonable starter scope.
Sky-Watcher StarQuest 130P Newtonian reflector review at £199.
It looks like as you progress you can upgrade this to a motorised mount

Another option for just over £100 is the National Geographic 114/500 Compact Telescope. If you literally want to nip out and have a look at the moon, planets and a few star clusters then these look quick and easy to set up, just plonk them on a sturdy table top. If you have kids you want to get interested or go on holidays to dark country cottages or campsites then look ideal for 20 minutes of star gazing. The downside is no motorisation, no auto-guide 'show me cool stuff' functions. If you want to then move into anything more advanced it is a case of starting again. The moon should look good through it though:

I've only ever talked to Rother Valley by mail, but they seem good, quick to respond and very helpful. They have a range of beginner stuff at:
I'd have a browse through and give them a ring.

Another option is to find a local astronomy club (you might have to wait until after covid). Tell them you are new and interested and does anyone have any low price scopes they could have a look through to get an idea. You can get mixed feelings. Seeing Saturn and Jupiter through a small scope has a 'wow' sense of feeling. On Jupiter you can just make out the bands, but can clearly see the 4 brightest moons. On Saturn you can see the rings, but size wise both appear a bit smaller than the bit punched out by a hole punch. Some people expect Hubble images. The moon is always good through a small scope and in some ways can be better as you can fit more of it into view.

I've always found Rolley Valley Optics really reliable. The other supplier I would recommend is Bern from Modern Astronomy. He can source pretty much anything.

Last edited:

Ok, so I’ve got the scope out of the loft and am going to put it up tonight. It’s a Celestron 114EQ, basic stuff but I’ve seen Jupiter’s bands with it from my North London back garden before.

Fingers crossed for Monday.

Any tips from the less-than-beginners?

Ok, so I’ve got the scope out of the loft and am going to put it up tonight. It’s a Celestron 114EQ, basic stuff but I’ve seen Jupiter’s bands with it from my North London back garden before.

Try and choose a night when the skies are clear.

What sort of tips are you looking for? What to look for or how to use the scope?

What sort of tips are you looking for? What to look for or how to use the scope?
How to use my scope and where to look for Saturn and Jupiter over the next few nights please.

Any videos on how to use an EQ telescope for instance would jog my memory. I’m useless at the whole declination, ascension thing. I struggle to picture it.

How to use my scope and where to look for Saturn and Jupiter over the next few nights please.

Any videos on how to use an EQ telescope for instance would jog my memory. I’m useless at the whole declination, ascension thing. I struggle to picture it.
I use stellarium, but basically for those two, look to the south west at sunset and the two bright things together are Jupiter and Saturn.

I can’t help with the mount I’m afraid. It is harder, so try searching YouTube, or you could look at the StarGazersLounge forum and see if anyone has anything there. My mount is an altz, which is not as good for tracking but easier to use. I did get an eq tracking mount for a camera and struggled a bit, but as the camera was on a ballhead, I could just spin it round.

Jupiter and Saturn will be lining up for the first time in 2000 years. Double planet causes bright star in sky, possibly what the Bethlehem star refers to

Jupiter and Saturn will be lining up for the first time in 2000 years. Double planet causes bright star in sky, possibly what the Bethlehem star refers to

Not quite, but it will be the closest alignment for 800 years. Trouble is the view from the UK won't be very good

Eq bit means it's got an equatorial mount I'm afraid. Refer to my previous advice about aligning the mount. As long as it's angled for your latitude, levelled and pointed roughly towards Polaris the motor or slow control should keep objects in the field of view.

Back