Space 1999

Thought it was great when iwas a young'un, but saw a bit of it on some odd sci-fi channel the other week and it hasn't aged well.
All 70's psychedelic woo woo and overacting.
Shame.....

I don't agree. Had some massive plus points but some big minuses aswell. Catherine (Von) schnell (?) - plus. Peter Gordeno - plus. That Barry Morse fuckwit - minus. IMHO. There was one on the other week with a black hole and they didn't know what it was. Amateurs.

It's more dated than Anderson's Supermarionation stuff imo although I remember the Dragon episode gave me nightmares.

I recall anothe sci fi series of the time called The Secret Service - Father Stanley Unwin shrank people. The voice was done by the real Stanley Unwin who spoke in gobbledegook or Unwinese.

Weird but strangely scary.
UFO was great. Good storylines that were political as well as action based...and then there was Gabriella Drake who gave me twinges before I knew what twinges were.

Just for you - thanks for the memories...

Last edited:
Sunday lunchtime viewing iirc. Quite enjoyable to my 10 year old brain. Like others have said though, it hasn’t aged well. I also enjoyed UFO. Although I could never understand why all them lasses on the moon had to have purple hair. Something in the water maybe?

Sunday lunchtime viewing iirc. Quite enjoyable to my 10 year old brain. Like others have said though, it hasn’t aged well. I also enjoyed UFO. Although I could never understand why all them lasses on the moon had to have purple hair. Something in the water maybe?
Think it was originally on on Thursday evenings on itv. about 7pm.

caught an episode a couple of weeks ago - it was f***ing atrocious, some could miniture work as you would expect but that was about it

it was a second series episode with that shape-shifting Doris in it, which I know are generally considered to be poorer

Came across this video recently on YouTube, apparently it was recorded for a special convention held in 1999 to mark when the moon left orbit in the series.

one small step for man one giant leap for mankind and we also like women in tight jump suits

I missed the 1st couple of episodes at the time & I finally got to see them for the 1st time in my late 40s when I stumbled across them on youtube. The entire run is on there.

Last edited:
I never understood how they were supposed to be stuck on the moon, with limited resources, yet they seemed to have an inexhaustible supply of eagles, as they managed to crash one almost every week. Actually I’ve still got an airfix one in my kitchen.

Just found out that Big Finish are releasing audiobooks, much like they have done with Doctor Who, I listened to a audio clip and sounds canny, not sure about this trailer mind.....

Back