Southgate - time to admit this place was wrong?

Personally I think England have been found out and Southgate doesn't have a backup plan. Happens when you play the same tactics over and over, think the last two tournaments we had our chance and blew it and will be back to quarter finalists depending on draw.

We still have good players but I don't think our squad is any better than about 8-12 others and worse than France, Belgium, Portugal, Brazil, Argentina and Spain's.

He's not getting sacked now but I'd say unless we go against expectations and do amazingly well (semis/final) then it's the right time to walk and let someone else have a pop.

Still have a young team and lots of players who can come through and make a difference but likely need a fresh take on things, shake up in formation and tactics, training, change a few players up.
I think there’s definitely a case to make that it’s gone stale, but always chasing the next big thing is a guarantee that you’ll always be in a period of transition. Eventually you have to stick.

Aside from Southgate, the players need to take a big portion of the blame. The were all average to dreadful last night.

The forwards players could barely control the ball, hold it up and bring others into play. The midfield passed it sideways or backwards constantly. The wing backs offered nothing and the keeper kept giving away basic mid range passes.

The only one that looked a threat was Grealish when he came in and even he managed to get himself booked to miss the next game.

Too many players are hiding, are too timid or are taking the easy option.

If you take out the Nations League I think it's safe to say we have competed pretty well in the tournaments Southgate has been manager. I don't like him and I don't like the way we play or his team selections but it does seem to be very effective.
Not true. This is the problem with cup competitions - everyone sees WC semi final and thinks we did well. We didn’t. We beat Sweden and Colombia and Tunisia and Costa Rica. That’s it. I’d be very gutted if we didn’t beat all of those. Hell, I’d be gutted if Sunderland couldn’t beat all of those. We also lost to Belgium twice and Croatia. Most losses ever by England at a World Cup.

Euros was a similar story - granted we did well to beat Germany but they struggled to even get out of their group and weren’t a great team at all that tournament. Other games were all expected wins, then a defeat against Italy who were the first decent side we played

Anyone claiming that Trent Alexander Arnold is the best right back in the world is begging for him to unleash one of his customary brain farts to gift the only goal to Netherlands in a last 16 defeat. Absolutely begging.
He’s doing perfectly fine in arguably the best club side in the world for the last 3-4 seasons.

What’s this good job that he’s done? Got beat 3 times in the World Cup 2018, didn’t beat a half decent team, lost against the first decent team we played in the Euros, failed to get this brilliant squad playing any kind of attacking football whatsoever, just leeching off set pieces and the odd screamer.

Who are these 4 squads in the world that are miles above the England squad on talent? We’ve probably got the best squad in the world talent wise, if we had a competent manager to lead it we’d be seriously competing at tournaments, not turning up, beating on a few shitty teams then folding.

The bloke is an absolute fraud and should have gone after the dismal World Cup 2018 tbh. It’s amazing how a favourable draw can mask things in the eyes of the public
If England has the best squad in the world, why is it that the top teams in this country are full of foreign players?

If England has the best squad in the world, why is it that the top teams in this country are full of foreign players?
Full? Are they? There is over 200 nations in the world, our top teams typically have 8-10 England players at least in their squads of 25. If suggest that’s significantly over represented. Bearing in mind you only need 11 English players out of 150ish in the squads of the top 6 teams (plus the other 350ish players for the rest of the PL).

Can’t be arsed to read the thread. Southgate is a dour, useless knacker. If he took over at Sunderland when Neil left, I’d genuinely be gutted. Inherited the job of Wngland manager by virtue of the fact he was there at the u21s making a pigs ear of it.
Can’t be arsed to read the thread. Southgate is a dour, useless knacker. If he took over at Sunderland when Neil left, I’d genuinely be gutted. Inherited the job of Wngland manager by virtue of the fact he was there at the u21s making a pigs ear of it.
Wngland.

I’d say you’re mental. We battered Germany in the World Cup. Spain are a shadow of what they were too and neither have a striker. Don’t see the clamour over Brazil either who have as bad a defence as us.

Man for man we can match all of those, if we were able to get a decent manager we’d be able to compete

You mentioned Foden as a midfielder 2 posts ago. Changing the goalposts now it suits?

Couldn’t give a shite about an award voted by sponsors who usually don’t even watch the games. Phillips and rice as a pair didn’t work. They are a massive part of our problems. Nothing against them individually, but as a pairing it doesn’t work and kills any attacking play we have
Because of Kalvin Phillips, that...

Back