Southern Ireland

Whenever I've been to an England v Ireland rugby international, the Irish fans have been spot on. It stems back from the early 70's when teams in the then Five Nations refused to play at Lansdowne Road because of the start of The Troubles.

England, who of all teams that would have the most legitimate of fears for their safety, refused to make a fuss, turned up and made sure Irish rugby wasn't isolated. They've never forgotten that hand of friendship when it was needed.

I can't think of a single Irish person I've met, either here or in Ireland, who haven't been anything other than welcoming and decent crack.

Must have been to Ireland about a hundred times. Cannot think of ever getting grief, and that includes being in Derry in the 198os. I’m sure there has been the odd comment thrown my way, but cannot remember anything major. My mate got called an English bastard in Killarney about five years ago but that’s been as bad as it has been.

Annual trip to the Galway Festival at the end of the month - wouldn’t miss it for the world. No where more welcoming than that city and the west of Ireland.

Love the place, cracking people for me. And I don’t have an Irish bone in my body.
Is that the Galway racing festival ?
I love being in the bars of Quay Street, during the festival.
It's an amazing place for a drink and the amount of beautiful women drnking on Quay St during the festival, has to be seen to be believed.

Whenever I've been to an England v Ireland rugby international, the Irish fans have been spot on. It stems back from the early 70's when teams in the then Five Nations refused to play at Lansdowne Road because of the start of The Troubles.

England, who of all teams that would have the most legitimate of fears for their safety, refused to make a fuss, turned up and made sure Irish rugby wasn't isolated. They've never forgotten that hand of friendship when it was needed.

I can't think of a single Irish person I've met, either here or in Ireland, who haven't been anything other than welcoming and decent crack.
I went to both Croke park games and didn’t have any bother what so ever.

Drinking in border towns over both sides of the border I’ve had a bit of bother over the years with the odd comment, but the same way not every English person is not an EDL arsehole, not every Irish person is a RA prick.

Is that the Galway racing festival ?
I love being in the bars of Quay Street, during the festival.
It's an amazing place for a drink and the amount of beautiful women drnking on Quay St during the festival, has to be seen to be believed.

The very one - 20th consecutive year coming up. Cannot wait. There is nowhere else I would rather be in the world than Galway during that week.

There are so many good areas to drink, we avoid Quay Street a bit on Ladies Day but dip in and out all the same.

And yes, the women. All ages too, something for everyone.

Remember jumping in a cab and the first thing the driver said: “Lads, what’s the oldest bird you’ve fucked?” Not: “Where are you going”.

A brilliant place and well worth going anytime of the year.

The very one - 20th consecutive year coming up. Cannot wait. There is nowhere else I would rather be in the world than Galway during that week.

There are so many good areas to drink, we avoid Quay Street a bit on Ladies Day but dip in and out all the same.

And yes, the women. All ages too, something for everyone.

Remember jumping in a cab and the first thing the driver said: “Lads, what’s the oldest bird you’ve fucked?” Not: “Where are you going”.

A brilliant place and well worth going anytime of the year.
It's a brilliant place and my favourite Irish city.
I've been four times and usually stay in Salthill, which is only a 10 minute walk to Quay Street.
O'Connor's famous Irish bar in Salthill is worth a look if you're ever there.

OP having a fuckin nightmare. Posting articles from someone called Una Mullally. :lol: Is that even a real person?

I've been four times and usually stay in Salthill, which is only a 10 minute walk to Quay Street.

My lasse's cousin lives in Salthill with her fiance. We go up there a couple of times a year & I swear to God, I cannot believe how welcome they make us feel every single time.

Last edited:

I don’t think I’ve ever been there. I know of it, but not made it in. I love the place. Head west into Connemara for some peace and quiet on other visits. Fabulous part of the world.

OP having a fuckin nightmare. Posting articles from someone called Una Mullally. :lol: Is that even a real person?

My lasse's cousin lives in Salthill with her fiance. We go up there a couple of times a year & I swear to God, I cannot believe how welcome they make us feel every single time.
What a small world
I'm treated like family whenever I go back to Waterford.
All my mates and their women are waiting on the platform on the station for us arriving and they all turn out to see us off.
I love Salthill and Galway.
The Irish are very friendly people and always happy to chat over a few drinks.

I don’t think I’ve ever been there. I know of it, but not made it in. I love the place. Head west into Connemara for some peace and quiet on other visits. Fabulous part of the world.
My mates went to the mountains and loved it.
I love being in bustling, lively places, that's why I love Galway city.

Back