Southampton Student's Union President Resigns.

WW1 mural row student leader steps down

"A student leader who sparked outrage by saying a mural dedicated to soldiers in World War One should be painted over has resigned.

The artwork, in the University of Southampton Senate Room, shows a degree being given to an unknown soldier.

On 24 October Ms Dawes tweeted: "Mark my words - we're taking down the mural of white men in the uni Senate room, even if I have to paint over it myself.

The mural, painted by Sir William Rothenstein in 1916, was completed as a tribute to students who were killed in the First World War and were unable to collect their degrees."

Do you reckon if she posted the same tweet but it was a mural of black men she would be arrested for a hate crime?

@Cockney Mackem introduced me to the wonderful phrase "aggrieved white person". Sounds like she is an outstanding example of an AWP.

She's deserves it all. She is or was président of the southampton student university society. So on that basis you'd assume she was aware of a fairly significant work of art which belongs to the university. If not its utter ignorance. If she was aware and still went public with those comments then she is ignorant of history at best and at worst hates white people.

So no. She doesn't have an excuse and needs scorn poured all over the feckless tosser.

It's cost her a job and probably a career unless she joins Diane abbot's constituency or some other pretendy anti racist group.

Half a brain says you do your research on the thing you're piling into especially when it's quite recent to the institution.

Idiot falls on her gender neutral sword non story.

Probably what she did the stupid twat

I'm sitting in the office of a notoriously left wing university and the consensus here is that she got what she deserved.

Back