Southampton Student's Union President Resigns.

Aside from the fact it was painted in 1916 and depicts the act of conferring an unfishied degree onto an unknown soldier of course. You'd expect a senior member of the student union to know suck facts. Maybe not a jub from Sunderland.

Don't imagine there were many black folk at Southampton uni in 1914 but as a jub from Sunderland I might be wrong
I dont really see what your point adds here marra. The fact it happened to be painted in 1916 doesnt really add anything one way or another. From the pictures I've seen its not clear that's a soldier getting a degree.

Perhaps there's a nice plaque that dedicating it to students that didn't return just out of shot, I'd think that would have been covered by one of the hysterical articles I've seen about it though.

I don't agree with her personally, even if it was just a painting of bunch of white blokes from 100 years ago getting a degree. I don't think she deserves all of the scorn she's getting though.

I dont really see what your point adds here marra. The fact it happened to be painted in 1916 doesnt really add anything one way or another. From the pictures I've seen its not clear that's a soldier getting a degree.

Perhaps there's a nice plaque that dedicating it to students that didn't return just out of shot, I'd think that would have been covered by one of the hysterical articles I've seen about it though.

I don't agree with her personally, even if it was just a painting of bunch of white blokes from 100 years ago getting a degree. I don't think she deserves all of the scorn she's getting though.
Completely agree.

In all honesty mate I spent the best part of 10 minutes trying to find out about it but just kept getting articles about the daft lass.

I typed 'southampton university senate room mural' into google, first result:

20_rothenstein_mural | Great War: Unknown War | University of Southampton

First paragraph: 'The Rothenstein Mural was painted in 1916 as a memorial to members of the British universities serving in the Great War.'

If only they taught how to use Google on Ms Dawes' course.

She's deserves it all. She is or was président of the southampton student university society. So on that basis you'd assume she was aware of a fairly significant work of art which belongs to the university. If not its utter ignorance. If she was aware and still went public with those comments then she is ignorant of history at best and at worst hates white people.

So no. She doesn't have an excuse and needs scorn poured all over the feckless tosser.

It's cost her a job and probably a career unless she joins Diane abbot's constituency or some other pretendy anti racist group.

Half a brain says you do your research on the thing you're piling into especially when it's quite recent to the institution.

Idiot falls on her gender neutral sword non story.

Fair do's. I tried "Southampton uni mural" and just got a load of headlines.
Probably what she did the stupid twat

She's deserves it all. She is or was président of the southampton student university society. So on that basis you'd assume she was aware of a fairly significant work of art which belongs to the university. If not its utter ignorance. If she was aware and still went public with those comments then she is ignorant of history at best and at worst hates white people.

So no. She doesn't have an excuse and needs scorn poured all over the feckless tosser.

It's cost her a job and probably a career unless she joins Diane abbot's constituency or some other pretendy anti racist group.

Half a brain says you do your research on the thing you're piling into especially when it's quite recent to the institution.

I wondered too whether this will return to haunt her when she becomes an MP.

You are happy she's lost her job for advocating note not actually painting over a mural even after she apologised after her error was pointed out to her.

You are happy she's lost her job for advocating note not actually painting over a mural even after she apologised after her error was pointed out to her.
Not really a job is it. People need to think much more about the consequences of their social media like whore life. Students have been stupid for time immemorial but unfortunately now it's public and widely accessible. Such is life. Valuable life lesson learned.

She's doing physics iirc. Can't see her turning up as an aide to a lefty MP.
She might not have a choice.

Back