Southampton pubs

There’s the high street, Above Bar Street with the chains in it. Yates, O’Neills and others. Probs the closet to the ground.

Then there’s old Southampton down near the docks.
Duke of Wellington
Old Red Lion
Standing Order
Dancing Man Brewery
Platform

These are probs 30 mins from the ground, but you can crawl via Oxford Street
Here there’s
Grapes
White Star
King Canute

It’s about a 15 minute walk to the ground. These are the better pubs imo, but I’m a middle aged swamp drinker, so not that keen on pubs favoured by the lageristas.

There is also London Road area, which is a bit studenty. But pre match might be quiet. There’s a Spoons and cocktail bars, plus a new brew dog.

All in all, plenty of choice.

There’s the high street, Above Bar Street with the chains in it. Yates, O’Neills and others. Probs the closet to the ground.

Then there’s old Southampton down near the docks.
Duke of Wellington
Old Red Lion
Standing Order
Dancing Man Brewery
Platform

These are probs 30 mins from the ground, but you can crawl via Oxford Street
Here there’s
Grapes
White Star
King Canute

It’s about a 15 minute walk to the ground. These are the better pubs imo, but I’m a middle aged swamp drinker, so not that keen on pubs favoured by the lageristas.

There is also London Road area, which is a bit studenty. But pre match might be quiet. There’s a Spoons and cocktail bars, plus a new brew dog.

All in all, plenty of choice.

is there any decent places for real ale? like old-man CAMRA pubs?

i had a google but its not clear, some of the info is 5-10 years old

Yes. Quite a few

The Wellington, Dancing Man and Platform all do canny pints for RATs like me. The Dancing Man is a brewery as well.

Not been down Oxford Street got a while, but the Grapes and White Star used to do RA.

I’ll check another couple out and get back to you. Check out the Unity Brewing site, they have a tap room near the ground, but might be fizzy beer rather than hand pull.

wouldn’t mind stopping along Swaythling/ Portswood which I know quite well but know we’ll just end up on Above Bar Street.

Belgium and Blues on Above Bar has a good selection of swamp as well. Not far from the Giddy Bridge, a Spoons, which is always good for beer.

Scholars on AB also swampy, but Greene King. London Road Brew House usually good.

If you fancy something different, Olaf’s Craft Tun on the other side of the river in Woolston. Or The Butcher’s Hook in Bitterne. Both would mean a walk across the Itchen.
The beer in Hampsire/Southampton is bloody awful, driven me onto lager unfortunately.
I’d disagree mate. I’ve been here for nigh on 20 years and there’s a lot of cracking real ale in Hants.

Last edited:
Belgium and Blues on Above Bar has a good selection of swamp as well. Not far from the Giddy Bridge, a Spoons, which is always good for beer.

Scholars on AB also swampy, but Greene King. London Road Brew House usually good.

If you fancy something different, Olaf’s Craft Tun on the other side of the river in Woolston. Or The Butcher’s Hook in Bitterne. Both would mean a walk across the Itchen.

I’d disagree mate. I’ve been here for nigh on 20 years and there’s a lot of cracking real ale in Hants.

theres about 12 of us, so wont be able to walk far. we like proper old pubs, preferably places that don't do food , proper drinking dens

theres about 12 of us, so wont be able to walk far. we like proper old pubs, preferably places that don't do food , proper drinking dens
Probably best to do Belgium and Blues or The Alex then. There’s not a lot around the ground, so the nearest places are in the town centre. So big and foody.

A long shot might be the Red Lion.

55 High Street Southampton, Hampshire

Very oldie worldie and had some canny swamp when I was last in. 30 minute walk to the ground.

Probably best to do Belgium and Blues or The Alex then. There’s not a lot around the ground, so the nearest places are in the town centre. So big and foody.

A long shot might be the Red Lion.

55 High Street Southampton, Hampshire

Very oldie worldie and had some canny swamp when I was last in. 30 minute walk to the ground.

aye just looking at the old town for after the game, the red lion, duke of wellington, the grapes... they look sound and close enough to each other. we'll walk down there after the game

Back