South Tyneside Bin Strike

YES, GREY DOMESTIC BINS ARE BEING EMPTIED TODAY!
Lots of people have messaged me regarding bin collections today so I thought I’d update residents as to what is happening today.
Bin-crews agreed to work today (Good Friday) to help make inroads into the backlog of bins waiting to be emptied so Good Friday is a normal collection day. However, IF YOUR NORMAL BIN COLLECTION DAY IS THURSDAY OR FRIDAY YOUR BIN WILL NOT BE EMPTIED TODAY!
Some bin-crews are still emptying what is left from Tuesday’s collections whilst a handful of other crews have now started Wednesday’s collections but are unlikely to complete their rounds by the end of today.
Only black/grey domestic refuse bins are being emptied so NO BLUE BINS WILL BE EMPTIED!
Bin-crews are taking further strike action next week so NO BINS WILL BE EMPTIED from Tuesday 2nd April until Tuesday 9th April. There will be no further collections 5pm today due to the weekend.

Lots of people have messaged me regarding bin collections today so I thought I’d update residents as to what is happening today.
Bin-crews agreed to work today (Good Friday) to help make inroads into the backlog of bins waiting to be emptied so Good Friday is a normal collection day. However, IF YOUR NORMAL BIN COLLECTION DAY IS THURSDAY OR FRIDAY YOUR BIN WILL NOT BE EMPTIED TODAY!
Some bin-crews are still emptying what is left from Tuesday’s collections whilst a handful of other crews have now started Wednesday’s collections but are unlikely to complete their rounds by the end of today.
Only black/grey domestic refuse bins are being emptied so NO BLUE BINS WILL BE EMPTIED!
Bin-crews are taking further strike action next week so NO BINS WILL BE EMPTIED from Tuesday 2nd April until Tuesday 9th April. There will be no further collections 5pm today due to the weekend.
Aye well round here (east boldon) grey domestic bins havent been emptied and nor have the blue recycling bins. So fuck all emptied again

Excellent work by the bin lads.

Could this have anything to do with overtime pay for working Good Friday?

Or am I being cynical?

Collections start again next Tuesday
Last two times the collections were supposed to happen again they never go around to mine. Bin hasn't been emptied for about 6 weeks or something. Bizarre thing is the wagon has come up the street, done the two cul-de-sacs but not the main street.
I've been going to the temp sites they've had on. Bloke was being a right knob at the Boldon colliery one. Wouldn't take me bags as they had cardboard in despite me telling him they were soiled pizza boxes so can't go in recycling anyway. I still chucked them in the skip under his protest like but you would think they'd try to not cause aggro for themselves.

Last two times the collections were supposed to happen again they never go around to mine. Bin hasn't been emptied for about 6 weeks or something. Bizarre thing is the wagon has come up the street, done the two cul-de-sacs but not the main street.
I've been going to the temp sites they've had on. Bloke was being a right knob at the Boldon colliery one. Wouldn't take me bags as they had cardboard in despite me telling him they were soiled pizza boxes so can't go in recycling anyway. I still chucked them in the skip under his protest like but you would think they'd try to not cause aggro for themselves.

There's a skip in shields that has been unattended each time I've been (winchester st). Hoyed all me recycling in it on Saturday. Fuck em.

There's a skip in shields that has been unattended each time I've been (winchester st). Hoyed all me recycling in it on Saturday. Fuck em.
Mustn't be able to trust the colliery lot.

In fairness he had said they'd had builders (dodgy ones no doubt) turn up and empty a load of their commercial waste in to the skip so can understand them checking. But when it's clearly a household bag then no need to be so arsey.

6 weeks is a disgrace i thought they were supposed to prioritise missed bins as soon as they restarted collections after each strike.
We've been quite lucky with delays in collections compared to other areas.
Your right about used food boxes don't recycle one of my kids put some in our recycling bin last year without me knowing. So when i come home the bins un emptied all covered in tape etc.
Heard that the blokes at temp skips can be difficult.
I've being going to the tip on a sunday night on me way to work 5.45 appointment. Still busy at that time of night.

6 weeks is a disgrace i thought they were supposed to prioritise missed bins as soon as they restarted collections after each strike.
Your right about used food boxes don't recycle one of my kids put some in our recycling bin last year without me knowing. So when i come home the bins un emptied all covered in tape etc.
I've being going to the tip on a sunday night on me way to work 5.45 appointment. Still busy at that time of night.
Aye the bloke got told to f*** off. I was putting my rubbish in whether he liked it or not.

Edit: just make sure you use black bags and they'll not question. Mine were white so he could see 'cardboard'.

Had a middlefields appointment booked at 9am when it opened and it was like the old pre appointment days with a queue back down past the paint shop.

Last edited:
Me Mam is on the assisted pull out scheme and they couldn’t be arsed to collect her general waste one last week. Think it’s approaching 2 months since it was last emptied and who know which one will show up for collection when they resume next week.

You’re warned not to put the bin out on behalf of anyone on the assisted scheme in case they think you don’t require it anymore.

Dragging it 5 yards down the path was obviously too much for them.

Think the good will which was given to the bin men at the start of the strike is slowly disappearing. Pot luck what and if any bins get collected next week.
Cannot see an end in site

Heard they getting paid £70 a day whilst on strike how true not sure but no incentive for them to return to work is there?

Back