South Shields Sinkhole

Status
Not open for further replies.

Correct.

Pot holes start at the surface and work downwards usually due to traffic, frost damage etc

Sink holes start underground when the bedrock erodes and work their way to the surface.

The area around Sunderland and South Shields is on soft Magnesian Limestone which can be eroded by water over many years and then the ground collapses without any warning. The water can come from an underground stream, or from the surface, or from a broken drain or water pipe.

This is where multiculturalism gets us!
Proper English-made limestone wouldn't have eroded away, we need to send these Magnesians back to Magnesia where they belong.

One appeared in my street years ago, and it swallowed the bin lorry! :lol:

Longmeadows, East Kippertown?

There was a sinkhole started like that in Clydebank back in January, started off looking like a drain cover had collapsed - ended up being the top of a 62 meter old mine shaft no-one knew about!
Coal authority backfilled it and the council managed to get the road open in mid May - which surprised everyone as we reckoned it would be a good 6 months to even get a quote in
Didn't know it had been repaired. I don't have any reason to pass that way, but I know it causing a bit of chaos for those living in the north of the city who needed to get to Dumbarton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back