South Shields fans

Still a lot of Shields folk follow us. They will be pissed off the gravy smelling kernts are appearing more and more....i sense hell on

I'm not sure I follow the relevance of us not selling out for our second Wembley trip.

Of course there were exiles at the Wembley games. But the vast majority 90% plus came from the north east, so not sure I follow your point again.

The point being made (a fairly insignificant one tbf) was that for Sunderland at Wembley the majority of the crowd was made up of match going fans. For shields it wasnt.
There was significant % of non-SC fans at the Wembley games. Many SC decided not to go. Others were match by match. Many of us were exiles who go to handfuls of games are not regulars. You're wrong about 90% arriving from the North East. Nearer 70% with 30% from other areas of he country. I was sat at Waterloo for 30 mins watching streams of Sunderland shirted fans going to the Charlton game

As far as crowds go, you could say when was last time Sunderland sold out a pre-season home tie? Or a home tie at all. Shields have filled their non-league ground a couple of times in the last 3 seasons. Its all relative man. They do well, SAFC do well, its not a competition crowd pulling.

People belittling a non-league club are utter wankers and need to give their head a shake.

Glory Hunters in the non-league ffs:lol::lol::lol:.

So if someone came to Sunderland and spent pot loads of cash trying to reach the top of the Premier league do you think the crowds would stay as they are now.
So that's why the sudden upsurge in support ? It's about money ! People who do that aren't supporters just following the £££. The fact that supposed Sunderland supporters can switch their alliegance because of what's happened to that club and jump onto another team however small now because money has been chucked at it and together with mags ????

All crowds were low in the 80's compared to now, man u were getting crowds in the 20 and 30 thousands for example. Not sure what that's got to do with football today?
A lot. Man Utd were in the second division in the 70s so not the draw they are today. So it's just coincidence our crowds went up in the Premier league? No . Football fans like to go and see success, Sunderland and South Shields are no different, except, some want pretend 10,000 crowds in the second tier never happened, well, they did, and many South Tyneside Sunderland supporters including me, were there to see it.

Just a bunch of newcastle fans who have become “disillusioned” with modern football and have tried to glory hunt and think it’s cool to support them. Evident last night of all the talk around Rafa, Bruce, the fake sheik, singing Shearer songs and the hate for the Sunderland players.

Change my mind.
I've been to quite a few Shields games and to be honest, most of them are ex Sunderland.

You were surprised a Tyneside team had mags amongst it's supporters? Ok
Yes, as I read on here how much backing it has from Sunderland fans. The fact the owners son? is on here posting saying it's rubbish about the amount on newcastle fans justifies my surprise.

I was there and didn't see any. Are you not just looking for ANY excuse to diss Shields ?
No mate, I have absoutly no reason to do so. Couldn't give a fuck either way.

Last edited:
Some are and some are Sunderland fans. South Shields as a town is 50/50 Sunderland And Newcastle. A lot of the lads/blokes who go now are disillusioned by modern football and see following South Shields as a chance to do things with their mag/mackem following mates which they’ve never done on a Saturday afternoon growing up. The fact South Shields are successful has been the catalyst.
Is, of course, correct.

Don't know why people get their knickers in such a twist about South Shields i really don't.
Their fans took over my little town of Coleshill when they played in the semi final of the Vase. Whether they were sand dancers, mags or mackems they were impeccably behaved and very complimentary of Coleshill as a team and as a town. There was not one bit of trouble and the fans mixed together no bother, they were a joy to have tbh.
Mind Newcastle Benfield brought 2 coach loads the season after and were nothing but trouble resulting in the police having to be called.
Benfield fans were an utter disgrace.

Last edited:
Ignore them mate. It's like little bairns bitching on. Shields are doing fine and it's a good atmosphere there, with most being Sunderland fans really. It sounds like, generally, most people from both teams last night enjoyed it. Just people today, making themselves look silly by name calling.

Aye, and how many did we get in the late 80s? About 25% of what we got in the Premier lezgue. This is pathetic, Sunderland supporters being holier than thou about their local non league club. Talk about insecurity.

It was a genuine question in relation to the attendance now compared to then. Adding into the debate that most if not around 90% possibly are disenchanted SAFC and Mags who have jumped ship.

And for the record the local non league scene is excellent with some really well run clubs. Good to see.

There was significant % of non-SC fans at the Wembley games. Many SC decided not to go. Others were match by match. Many of us were exiles who go to handfuls of games are not regulars. You're wrong about 90% arriving from the North East. Nearer 70% with 30% from other areas of he country. I was sat at Waterloo for 30 mins watching streams of Sunderland shirted fans going to the Charlton game

As far as crowds go, you could say when was last time Sunderland sold out a pre-season home tie? Or a home tie at all. Shields have filled their non-league ground a couple of times in the last 3 seasons. Its all relative man. They do well, SAFC do well, its not a competition crowd pulling.

People belittling a non-league club are utter wankers and need to give their head a shake.

Glory Hunters in the non-league ffs:lol::lol::lol:.
I mean we are both totally guessing in terms of where fans came from tbf. But 30% outside the area. Nah not having that at all.

As for your completely random and bizarre glory hunting comment all I have pointed out, very simply, is the majority of Sunderland fans at Wembley regularly go to the games. The majority of shield fans didnt. That's pretty much a fact and shouldn't even be up for debate.

I did clearly say that there was nothing wrong with that. But I think it was almost irrelevant what I wrote.

So that's why the sudden upsurge in support ? It's about money ! People who do that aren't supporters just following the £££. The fact that supposed Sunderland supporters can switch their alliegance because of what's happened to that club and jump onto another team however small now because money has been chucked at it and together with mags ????

Not just money, people got sick of watching how Sunderland were being ran and playing over the last 5-6yrs.You can blame Bain for that.

Benfield fans were an utter disgrace.
You hear about that then?
Never seen anything like it tbh. Tanked up before they even got off the coaches spent most of the game in the bar trying to start fights, abusive to the volunteers that are the life blood of every non league club and downright disrespectful in general.
South Shields, Hereford, Benfield, Dunston and Bromsgrove have all brought big numbers to Coleshill, huge from Shields and Hereford by non league standards yet only trouble has been off Benfield. Chances are we'll never face them again, i hope so.

Tbh I'm happy South Shields has a relatively successful club that attracts a decent support now, I'd love it if the same happened to Red Star then we'd have more people to crack on with when we cant manage a Sunderland away game :lol:

None of my mates have. The only possible reason I could offer if some do, is due to the cost maybe? Disillusionment with the game at a higher level as a whole?

Fuck knows to be honest. I'm a Sunderland fan and always will be.
I'm getting the word Hipster. Fresh start, trendsetter, woke all that business :neutral:

I'm very surprised at the amount of used to be Sunderland supporters comments I've heard. Why the hell would you wanna ever admit you used to support Sunderland but now support some one else?

Fuck that, it's as bizarre as it gets. Support your club through thick and thin! Must be some right fairies to take the hump and go and support other clubs man.

Its these people that deserve the shit and give genuine Shields supporters a bad name.

Just like the mag turncoats in the 90's hope the don't bother coming back to the SoL. Funnily enough if/when better times come around they'll be back.

Thankfully I was stood with folk from Shields who are all still SC holders and continue to back the team they have supported all their lives.

This is pathetic, Sunderland supporters being holier than thou about their local non league club.

They're not like. When all this started Shields were playing in the same league as three clubs from Sunderland itself (RCA, Ryhope CW and Washington), which is why I was a little cynical.
Best of luck to the Sandies though.

Having a dig at shields is pathetic behaviour. Absolutely f***ing pathetic. They're a tiny club who have done well to get a few fans through the doors and make some progress, neither of which are unrelated to the other.

The idea of having a dig at people who can be arsed to watch the Shields standard of football (and that of their opponents) on even a semi regular basis is absolutely f***ing ludicrous. Give your head a wobble and act with some dignity.

I'd never been there before last night but it seemed alright. Not sure I could hack watching it every week but fair play to those who do, regardless of who else they have supported in the past or even still do support now. Shields is half and half, you get plenty from both.
THIS.

Back