South America

I spent a week or so on Ilha Santa Catarina, aye. Stayed in Barra da Lagoa.
Got told off a Brazilian lad i worked with it was basically where a lot of the rich Brazilians went on holiday and was class. Said it be hard going for a Brit though as no fucker speaks English :lol: what you think of it?

Is it weird that I have no real interest in Brazil?
Brazil is a fabulous country.
The people are great.
Rio is a must see.
The pantanal is worth a visit if you like wild life.
The coast round the south of Rio is beautiful, sea, sky, mountains and jungle. It doesn't get much better.
And that is before you even touch the Amazon, but I can't tell you about that as I haven't been, but I've heard good things.

I'm going in blind so will be planning on the fly. I can pretty much stay out there as long as I want so will try and fit in as much as possible. The trail is expensive, is it not? It wouldn't bother me but the lass I'm going with is on a tighter budget, I think.
The Inca trail is overly busy, could be worth considering a different one
http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/peru/machu-picchu/alternate-trails/

Last edited:
Another recommendation for Iguazu. Brilliant! Nip in to Citade del Este for a pint as well. Weird going in there, it's got a weird illegal market atmosphere.
That is where I went - out factory was there but I stayed just over the border in Brazil - Cuidad de Este was described as the most lawless city in South America - I didnt have to show my passport at the border and it was like a line of ants with people carrying good over the bridge too and from Brazil. Like you say, a weird atmosphere.

Got told off a Brazilian lad i worked with it was basically where a lot of the rich Brazilians went on holiday and was class. Said it be hard going for a Brit though as no fucker speaks English :lol: what you think of it?

I loved it me like, can't remember whereabouts I stayed to be honest, but the beach was superb if you like your beaches. Very picturesque.

Can't say I remember having too many problems with the language barrier, but this was about 8/9 years ago.

That is where I went - out factory was there but I stayed just over the border in Brazil - Cuidad de Este was described as the most lawless city in South America - I didnt have to show my passport at the border and it was like a line of ants with people carrying good over the bridge too and from Brazil. Like you say, a weird atmosphere.
I demanded a stamp. I'm not going all the way to Paraguay and not getting a stamp.

looked at me like I was mental .

I'm contrast the Easter Island mob can't wait to ink your passport with statues

I demanded a stamp. I'm not going all the way to Paraguay and not getting a stamp.

I got a stamp too. Was an effort finding the 4 outposts to get it all done correctly (and avoid a fine) without speaking any English or Portuguese.

Did anyone do Ituipa Dam? Apparently that's really impressive if you're into engineering.

Have to say there were a few nice bars and restaurants in Foz de iguazu.

Aye, it's very rich, white Brazil. Not like other Brazilian cities at all. Beautiful beaches and seafood though. It's very beach and surf orientated, even more so than other places but it's got a good vibe. Can't say I noticed a lack of English but if you can read a bit of Spanish/Portuguese on a menu you'd be reet.

There's a different a town nearby, Blumenau which is German in style too. Must've been where a few sloped off to after the war. Worth a look if you're in the area. Does a massive octoberfest apparantly.

Aye, we got the bus to stop at the border so we could get our stamps. Weird place like, sweaty as fuck.

Last edited:
Recent revelations???
Just thought something had cropped up to throw a spanner in the works but it's sorted now.

The plan looks like this:
Colombia to meet with my travel companion
Fly to Argentina and spend a month there
Work through Argentina to Bolivia
Move through Bolivia to Peru
End with Machu Picchu and fly home from Lima

Any suggestions catered to that itinerary would be grand. Might possibly have a few days in Paraguay but still up in the air.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just thought something had cropped up to throw a spanner in the works but it's sorted now.

Any suggestions catered to that itinerary would be grand. Might possibly have a few days in Paraguay but still up in the air.

When in Argentina check out Salta in the North West. Amazing City set in the foothills of the Andes. Good night life along Balcarce street. To the South is Quebrada de Cafayate a red rock canyon area similar to the landscape of Utah. From Salta take the bus to San Pedro de Atacama via Purmamarca, La Cuesta de Lipan and the Salinas Salt Flats. One of the most stunning journeys I have been on. San Pedro itself is well worth staying in for several days exploring the Atacama desert. From here there are lots of tours to Bolivia.

Last edited:
Did anyone do Ituipa Dam? Apparently that's really impressive if you're into engineering.
Yes, well worth it if you are visiting Iguassu .

No Chile?

When you are in La Paz there is a death road cycle trip.
@Lexingtongue

Last edited:
Yes, well worth it if you are visiting Iguassu .

No Chile?

When you are in La Paz there is a death road cycle trip.
@Lexingtongue
I was going to get a one way ticket but it doesn't make financial sense as it is more expensive than a multi-city flight so, as I need a return flight, I've decided to come back from Lima in April just in time for the birth of my sister's baby. As such, I've had to drop a few places but Argentina and Peru were always my main focuses so I can't complain. Looking forward to Bolivia now, too, mind.

I was going to get a one way ticket but it doesn't make financial sense as it is more expensive than a multi-city flight so, as I need a return flight, I've decided to come back from Lima in April just in time for the birth of my sister's baby. As such, I've had to drop a few places but Argentina and Peru were always my main focuses so I can't complain. Looking forward to Bolivia now, too, mind.
There will always places we don't get to visit. I did love south America though and want go back and visit the north east ( northern Brazil, Venezuela and the three little countries) at some stage.

Argentina probably just wins on stunning sites, but Chile is lovely too.

Have a great trip! (be prepared for mega crowds at Macchu Picchu.)

There will always places we don't get to visit. I did love south America though and want go back and visit the north east ( northern Brazil, Venezuela and the three little countries) at some stage.

Argentina probably just wins on stunning sites, but Chile is lovely too.

Have a great trip! (be prepared for mega crowds at Macchu Picchu.)
Can you tell me a bit more about Macchu Pichu? If we don't do the Inca Trail can we book later? I'm keen for the trail but the other person is put off by the price of it. Do you actually have to book to get access? How busy will it be? I went to the royal temple in Bangkok and that was awful, couldn't get stirred. Still going, mind, as I've long wanted to visit it. Probably second in my list after Chernobyl (which I've already seen now) for most wanted locations.

Can you tell me a bit more about Macchu Pichu? If we don't do the Inca Trail can we book later? I'm keen for the trail but the other person is put off by the price of it. Do you actually have to book to get access? How busy will it be? I went to the royal temple in Bangkok and that was awful, couldn't get stirred. Still going, mind, as I've long wanted to visit it. Probably second in my list after Chernobyl (which I've already seen now) for most wanted locations.
It shuts for cleaning in February (Inca trail, don't know about other trails). Clock this link for permits and booking times.
http://www.beyondmachupicchu.com/how-far-in-advance-do-you-need-to-book-the-inca-trail/

I never went to Macchu Picchu for various reasons, but if I was going to do a trek, I'd definitely look at an alternative to the Inca. You can get to Macchu Picchu via train, you don't have to do a trek.

It shuts for cleaning in February (Inca trail, don't know about other trails). Clock this link for permits and booking times.
http://www.beyondmachupicchu.com/how-far-in-advance-do-you-need-to-book-the-inca-trail/

I never went to Macchu Picchu for various reasons, but if I was going to do a trek, I'd definitely look at an alternative to the Inca. You can get to Macchu Picchu via train, you don't have to do a trek.
We're looking to do it in April, just before I come back. Thanks for the link.

You can pretty much turn up on the day, getting a bus and train from Aguas Calientes (nice, but obviously a tourist trap). If you start early enough and can get there in time to be one of the first 300 or so to get access on the day you also get a pass to climb the mountain within the area, Huayna Picchu. Well worth getting there early to do so, some cracking views (especially if the mist stays away).

Yeah, that was impressive to see too. Definitely worth doing if your in the area.

I also liked the bird park over the road from Brazilian side of Iguazu Falls.

Back