South Africa v England 3rd Test - Port Elizabeth

How many overs left today
28 on cricinfo when I looked, two off change of innings, 26 or so but unlikely to get them all in

Worst feeling in cricket seeing tailender launching it out of the ground

hopefully England can nip three out

Last edited:
Aye, Brandon CC chairman is out there - was at the last one and stays for the end of the Teat Series too.

No idea. I think Curran will be more effective on here when the ball is older and bowling very straight.
I just don’t get it.
What was left in the session 45 minutes? All those runs to play with.
Surely they could have told him to open and let it all go for 5 or 6 overs or so? I’m sure their openers would have been less comfortable dealing with him, they’re not really being disturbed at the moment.

Why would you not have Wood opening?
Daft not having Wood opening the bowling
Curran is better with ball that is older
Don’t understand bringing Bess on with ball still new
This.
How many times do you see a bowler come in and bowl well after he's just smacked a few runs everwhere. Surprisingly often. Add that to the fact he's chomping at the bit to get back into the team and show what he's got and it's pretty obvious I'm afraid.
Root just doesn't have much of a gut instinct for captaincy does he?

Looking long term, if all goes well...

Burns
Sibley
Crawley
Root
Pope
Stokes
Buttler/Foakes

That'd be a very decent top seven IMO

Yeah, I like it a lot. Unsure which way to go on Buttler/Foakes. I think Foakes will score more all-court runs and is a better glovesman. But if that top six really beds in, Buttler is almost worth the gamble.

He needs a score mind. We know Foakes is a really excellent player of spin and you'd really like to see him come in a drop anchor to support Stokes/Pope.

On the evidence of that absolute shower, the best attack when all fit is a bit clearer to me too: Anderson, Archer, Wood. This would allow us to stop f***ing around with Jofra and let him be what he is and wants to be: a new ball line bowler who just happens to bowl 10mph quicker than Stuart Broad. He is not a 5-6 overs rough them up speedster - and if we have a bowler who really is that in the team (Wood), then maybe we can find some serious all-court balance.

Last edited:

Back