South Africa v England 2nd test - Newlands

I think its important to point out that Root was off the field most of the captaincy yesterday, Stokes was in charge

Its easy to blame one man, but these are clearly team tactics coming from the top

Every interview Silverwood makes a point of stats, its like they have a determined plan before they go out and just stick to it

looking forward to it though

I think its important to point out that Root was off the field most of the captaincy yesterday, Stokes was in charge

Its easy to blame one man, but these are clearly team tactics coming from the top

Every interview Silverwood makes a point of stats, its like they have a determined plan before they go out and just stick to it

So they’re back to a bloke who ‘looks at the data’ :rolleyes:

Already looking like a f***ing horrific appointment.

So they’re back to a bloke who ‘looks at the data’ :rolleyes:

Already looking like a f***ing horrific appointment.

maybe I’m jumping the gun but he’s mentioned it a lot

it’s a v strange appointment

He won the CC, but so do loads of coaches, including John Lewis

The biggest bollock Root dropped was choosing to bowl first so most of yesterday him being off the field wasn't really the big game changer for me.

Seems to be talk of picking Bess. Three questions spring to mind

1) is he good enough?
2) why pick him over Parkinson in the initial squad?
3) are we back to picking bowlers because they can hold a bat?

Parkinson not goodenough, can’t play

leach must still be ill, he’s done well I think not sure why they’ve given up on him

Bess is a bits n part but he bowled quite well for Yorkshire

he isn’t a bad pick, good character and he won’t be bowling that much

I’d be tempted to lengthen thr batting order too mind

Parkinson not goodenough, can’t play

leach must still be ill, he’s done well I think not sure why they’ve given up on him

Bess is a bits n part but he bowled quite well for Yorkshire

he isn’t a bad pick, good character and he won’t be bowling that much

I’d be tempted to lengthen thr batting order too mind
They shouldn’t have brought Parkinson then

1) is he good enough?
2) why pick him over Parkinson in the initial squad?
3) are we back to picking bowlers because they can hold a bat?
I think they’ve realised the error of their ways in picking Parkinson after watching him get carted to all parts in the tour matches.

Not that Bess is likely to be ready to play either. Would rather just stick with the quicks and let Root turn his arm over when needed.

I think they’ve realised the error of their ways in picking Parkinson after watching him get carted to all parts in the tour matches.

Not that Bess is likely to be ready to play either. Would rather just stick with the quicks and let Root turn his arm over when needed.
We have a habit of pissing about with young spinners. Mason Crane and Scott Borthwick say hi

maybe I’m jumping the gun but he’s mentioned it a lot

it’s a v strange appointment

He won the CC, but so do loads of coaches, including John Lewis
It was a completely underwhelming appointment. A lazy one when there were other outstanding candidates available. It's like Sunderland appointing Phil Parkinson

1) is he good enough? No
2) why pick him over Parkinson in the initial squad? Because that is classic England Selection Policy
3) are we back to picking bowlers because they can hold a bat? See above
FWIW I think we make one change
Burns, Sibley, Denley, Root, Stokes, Pope, Buttler (w), Curran, Broad, Anderson, Archer

Last edited:
A good question to ask, is there anyone in the South Africa team you'd replace like for like in the England team?

Can't see too much myself.

Last edited:

Back