South Africa v England 2nd test - Newlands

Great result I'm quite optimistic with this side going forward now with Sibley and Pope getting runs, Denley starting to become consistent and us having abit of depth in our bowling despite not really having a spinner. Plenty of work to do but encouraging signs at least and importantly a win

Very different. I agree with most of that actually.

But to say Stokes is infinitely better than Freddie and that Freddie was overrated is IMO simply wrong.

I stand by that he’s overrated mind, he’s been compared to Botham for years and I think he’s miles off personally. Don’t get me wrong he was a world class all rounder for a couple of years but other than that he showed little consistency.

Saw they were 7 down so watched the last three wickets on a stream on me phone in the cafe at the top of Table Mountain. The "gerrin there" I shouted at the last one startled a few others.

Celebrated with a two hour walk on top of it and I'm fucked!

Off round The Dubliner on Long Street which should be heaving and everyone partying.

True, stokes is getting better as a batsman and will probably end up with a higher batting average.
Freddie was the opposite where he got better as a bowler while his batting suffered from his injuries (rhythm etc)
If stokes doesn’t average 40+ by end of career it’ll be criminal given his ability. He looks a million dollars every time he hits the crease.
In terms of bowling he’s more a ‘shock’ bowler than a bowler you can hang your hat on as a captain.
He is absolute box office though and wether it’s bat or ball in hand you just know something can happen.
Flat pitch looking like they would scrap a draw and in come Stokes, sick of reading about averages, cricket is about adapting your game to the game situation and performing in them big moments, Stokes is brilliant at it!
Absolutely spot on.
Completely different players, there is chance Stokes could average over 40 with the bat and maybe under 30 with the ball, if he is allowed to bowl and keeps fit. Surely thats the holy grail for an all rounder ?
Both all rounders though which is where the comparison lies.
Kallis was a better cricketer, I personally don’t think there’s been a better one but I’m purely talking about stokes as an out and out match winner and how stats don’t always tell the full story.

Last edited:
Flintoff also used his superior physique whereas Stokes has better technique.

I think Stokes will retire as the better and more successful cricketer though
Won a world cup, won an ashes series in 15.
Think he already has a more successful career than freddie now nevermind when he retires
If stokes doesn’t average 40+ by end of career it’ll be criminal given his ability.
Think his unselfishness for the team and batting position will make it tough to average 40+ unless he ends up batting at 4 etc...

Last edited:
Won a world cup, won an ashes series in 15.
Think he already has a more successful career than freddie now nevermind when he retires

Think his unselfishness for the team and batting position will make it tough to average 40+ unless he ends up batting at 4 etc...
5 seems to be his spot now but as you say the circumstances in which he bats could dictate his average.

Disappointed to miss the last day but some observations on the test

Sibley - well played lad, the type of opener we need who will wear down attacks
Denly similar albeit without the big scores. He’s not scoring quickly but he’s protecting those further down
Stokes - well, just wow. It’s just a shame his knee is preventing him bowl more
Pope - really like this lad. He has oodles of talent. Keep him at 6 please
Curran - batting seems to have gone downhill a bit? I’ll be honest, I always think he looks powderpuff but continues to get wickets, so carry on
Bess - decent. Batting aside. Looks better
Anderson - great to have him back, hero. Not sure there is space for Broad and him all the time mind. We’re a bit one paced again...

Great result I'm quite optimistic with this side going forward now with Sibley and Pope getting runs, Denley starting to become consistent and us having abit of depth in our bowling despite not really having a spinner. Plenty of work to do but encouraging signs at least and importantly a win
You say about lacking a spinner and I'm not outright disagreeing, but Leach has looked pretty dependable, Bess impressed me, Denley is good for turning his arm over late in the game and being threatening on wearing pitches, and once Moeen gets his groove back, he'll slot straight in.

Sibley and Burnsy will make a solid opening pair, Denley, Root, Stokes is a solid top order, then the rest.

Think we've got the makings of a decent side myself

Disappointed to miss the last day but some observations on the test

Sibley - well played lad, the type of opener we need who will wear down attacks
Denly similar albeit without the big scores. He’s not scoring quickly but he’s protecting those further down
Stokes - well, just wow. It’s just a shame his knee is preventing him bowl more
Pope - really like this lad. He has oodles of talent. Keep him at 6 please
Curran - batting seems to have gone downhill a bit? I’ll be honest, I always think he looks powderpuff but continues to get wickets, so carry on
Bess - decent. Batting aside. Looks better
Anderson - great to have him back, hero. Not sure there is space for Broad and him all the time mind. We’re a bit one paced again...

It was a decent team performance tbh. Just about everyone chipped in with summat.

Is Anderson a doubt for PE?

I stand by that he’s overrated mind, he’s been compared to Botham for years and I think he’s miles off personally. Don’t get me wrong he was a world class all rounder for a couple of years but other than that he showed little consistency.
Fair enough, I disagree but you're entitled to your opinion. For me, Freddie played at a time where we had been awful for a long, long time, particularly against the Aussies and that period leading up to and then the Ashes itself in '05, he epitomises how we turned it round, became such a great side and helped build the foundations for where England cricket is today. For that he gets extra credit in my eyes. Sort of like Keane turning us round in '06-08.

Fair enough, I disagree but you're entitled to your opinion. For me, Freddie played at a time where we had been awful for a long, long time, particularly against the Aussies and that period leading up to and then the Ashes itself in '05, he epitomises how we turned it round, became such a great side and helped build the foundations for where England cricket is today. For that he gets extra credit in my eyes. Sort of like Keane turning us round in '06-08.

Don’t get me wrong mate, I was a big fan at the time I just feel looking back he wasn’t in the class of Botham and he’s probably rated a bit higher than he should due to his “lad” banter. For a spell though, he was box office and one of the best in the world.

Don’t get me wrong mate, I was a big fan at the time I just feel looking back he wasn’t in the class of Botham and he’s probably rated a bit higher than he should due to his “lad” banter. For a spell though, he was box office and one of the best in the world.
He wasn’t in the class of Botham.

the lad stuff is a bit of an act, he’s a good bloke in person

I think Freddie at his best is amongst the best, but his form fluctuates a lot more than the bests does. The very best players don’t have massive dips in form, or don’t have it happen for very long. Stokes and Botham, however, are a lot more consistent which makes them stand out more for me. Stokes has this unnatural ability to make things happen, which would make him my number one choice in any form of the game for any cricketer in the world. His stats are not “world class stats”, but if you need something to happen just throw stokes the bat or ball. And he’d run through broken glass for you as well - see that spell he bowled against the Aussies - 13 overs straight was it? And still kept piling in. Absolutely unreal desire to win

Just got back now.
What a day.
Was a bit flat after tea and still only five down.
Draw looking a racing certainty.
We'd i7u taken 5 wickets in something like 115 overs and needed 5 more in about 25 overs.

Then the familiar chant of " Get de Kock out for the lads " after his dismissal gave us a bit of a hope.
Then after Rassie went it was on.
Possibly.

After Stokes first wicket, I dashed downstairs for a piss, just got back to the top of the stairs to see Stokes run in, bowl,and Crawley flip and casually take the catch.

By this time the crowd were going ballistic.

No way was Stokes not gonna finish off.

The spinner was just a quick interlude until he came on again.

Only 7 overs left, but it just seemed inevitable that he would do it.
When he did it, for me at least, it was just a sort of disbelief, like our goal v Charlton at Wembley.

It was only when the umpire pulled a stump out of the ground and the scoreboard flashed ENGLAND WIN, I knew for sure we'd done it!!

It truly was an unbelievable end to a proper test match.

As ever, Saffers great about it in the pub , ground etc ( as we were in Centurion).

Sets it up great for the next 2 games.

It was a decent team performance tbh. Just about everyone chipped in with summat.

Is Anderson a doubt for PE?

PE is an abrasive track, he might be rested regardless in readiness for the JoBerg greentop.
He wasn’t in the class of Botham.

the lad stuff is a bit of an act, he’s a good bloke in person

Beg to differ there mind, the bloke is the single biggest wanker I've ever met. Despise the shithead.

Last edited:

Back