South Africa v England 2nd test - Newlands

I can recall the Lords Test in 1981, when on the Saturday Botham took his sweater off to bowl, the Aussie batsmen were visibly nervous. Obviously it wasn't the fear of being hit it was the fear of not being able to hit the ball - which they didn't very often. (a memory which has stuck with me)

I remember Flintoff during the 2009 Ashes though, before he fucked himself (again). At Lord's. My did they shit themselves - they thought they wouldn't hit it and that he'd hit them.

He was bowling 90mph and as accurate as McGrath that day.

It's all so subjective, the all-rounders. I think Botham, Flintoff and Stokes all had that magical ability to turn a match completely on its head with either bat or ball. Their mere presence would adversely affect the opposition sometimes.

I feel very fortunate to have been able to see all three in action. In all my years playing club cricket I can remember just one ball bowled and one shot for 4 that I thought was class. These players did and do it as a matter of course, day in, day out.

I think Stokes has time on his side to outshine them all, but I will see him, Beefy and Freddie as the Holy Trinity of all-time, all-rounder greats.

It's hard to compare Botham, Flintoff and Stokes. The numbers only tell you so much as all of them had the ability to turn games in a single moment. WIthout looking I'd assume Bothm has the best bowling average whereas Stokes probably has the best batting average

Safe to say we have been blessed with 3 world class all rounders

And more than a few duds who the selectors thought could be the new Botham/Flintoff

David Capel
Craig White
Mark Ealham

to name but a few
Quick Google Brings back the following:

Botham
Tests - 102
Runs - 5200
Hundreds - 14
Batting Average - 33.54
Wickets - 383
Bowling Average - 28.40

Flintoff
Tests - 79
Runs - 3845
Hundreds - 5
Batting Average - 31.77
Wickets - 226
Bowling Average - 32.78

Stokes*
Tests - 61
Runs - 3906
Hundreds - 8
Batting Average - 36.16
Wickets - 142
Bowling Average - 32.92

Not a lot to choose between them. Botham's bowling figures are way above the other 2. Stokes clearly the better batsman (especially when you take the last 2 years into account)
Be interesting to see where Stokes ends up in terms of numbers

Last edited:
Botham's bowling stats really are good. 3.75 wicket per match is excellent, compare to Anderson's 3.86. Yes Anderson's are better, but he's the best we've had for years. Also Broad, 3.52 wickets per match.

On bowling alone only Anderson is a better player.

It's hard to compare Botham, Flintoff and Stokes. The numbers only tell you so much as all of them had the ability to turn games in a single moment. WIthout looking I'd assume Bothm has the best bowling average whereas Stokes probably has the best batting average

And more than a few duds who the selectors thought could be the new Botham/Flintoff

David Capel
Craig White
Mark Ealham

to name but a few

Botham
Tests - 102
Runs - 5200
Hundreds - 14
Batting Average - 33.54
Wickets - 383
Bowling Average - 28.40

Flintoff
Tests - 79
Runs - 3845
Hundreds - 5
Batting Average - 31.77
Wickets - 226
Bowling Average - 32.78

Stokes*
Tests - 61
Runs - 3906
Hundreds - 8
Batting Average - 36.16
Wickets - 142
Bowling Average - 32.92

Not a lot to choose between them. Botham's bowling figures are way above the other 2. Stokes clearly the better batsman (especially when you take the last 2 years into account)

I can remember when Derek Pringle was touted as the "new Ian Botham"

He was utter shite.

I can remember when Derek Pringle was touted as the "new Ian Botham"

He was utter shite.
:lol::lol: aye, I remember that.

I also remember Gough's debut v NZ when he scored (what turned out to be his highest score of) 65 and everyone thought he was the new Botham

We could probably lost 20 or 30 "new Bothams"

David Capel
Craig White
Mark Ealham

to name but a few

Botham
Tests - 102
Runs - 5200
Hundreds - 14
Batting Average - 33.54
Wickets - 383
Bowling Average - 28.40

Flintoff
Tests - 79
Runs - 3845
Hundreds - 5
Batting Average - 31.77
Wickets - 226
Bowling Average - 32.78

Stokes*
Tests - 61
Runs - 3906
Hundreds - 8
Batting Average - 36.16
Wickets - 142
Bowling Average - 32.92

It's funny. Fred's stats suggest he was nothing more than average, but he had some unbelievable tests. Probably a player of great moments rather than a great player

Last edited:
:lol::lol: aye, I remember that.

I also remember Gough's debut v NZ when he scored (what turned out to be his highest score of) 65 and everyone thought he was the new Botham

We could probably lost 20 or 30 "new Bothams"

It's funny. Fred's stats suggest he was nothing more than average, but he had some unbelievable tests. Probably a player of great moments rather than a great player
Fuck, you’re a tough judge. Batting and bowling averages nearly the same is top class!

It absolutely is. It’s the sign of a high class all rounder.
Kallis set the bar in terms of all rounders. I'm probably being harsh, but I'd expect a World Class all-rounder to excel in at least one discipline - sub 30 with the ball, or 40+ with the bat

Like I say, probably being harsh, I loved Freddie - named one of my cats after him but I think I loves Stokes even more

Back