Sourdough starter

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date

I’ve looked into it a couple of times but never got round to it.

Think I’ll start a ginger beer plant off and see how I get on with it then might move on to a sourdough starter.
I’ve got one on the go but I don’t know what I’m supposed to be looking for TBH.

My wife has done a few different ones, I will ask her when I get home and post on here. The bread she made with the sourdough starter was really good

Is it possible to get the wrong kind of yeast as it were?

Weird, I was looking into this yesterday.

You have to feed it regularly apparently, and when it starts to bubble after a few hours of it's last feed it's ready.

Be interested to see how yours gets on

How To Make Sourdough Bread
Aye. That’s what made me laugh from that Anthony Bourdain book: his marra who was obsessed with bread making and was constantly banging on about feeding his starter. Sure he had it on the go for years.

Aye. That’s what made me laugh from that Anthony Bourdain book: his marra who was obsessed with bread making and was constantly banging on about feeding his starter. Sure he had it on the go for years.
They do. The hipsters like to get their sourdough starters from the likes of a 20 year old one which started in San Francisco. It’s like getting a pedigree dog with Kennel Club registration when you’re in the right sourdough circles :lol:

Is it possible to get the wrong kind of yeast as it were?

My wife has tried a few different with varying efforts sometimes they have failed but she has had a fairly good success rate. She reckons the easiest one is the one from “The Bread Ahead“ cookbook but the one from Paul Hollywood’s book is good too. I think she has made both and made 4 or 5 starters and only one failed - I don’t think you can get the wrong type of yeast on but they can get contaminated and die off. PM me if you want recipes sending

They do. The hipsters like to get their sourdough starters from the likes of a 20 year old one which started in San Francisco. It’s like getting a pedigree dog with Kennel Club registration when you’re in the right sourdough circles :lol:
It's a bit of a pointless exercise though as the starter will soon change to its surroundings/ atmoshere that it lives in.

I've been toying with the idea of making a starts and some sourdough but just haven't motivated myself to do it yet.

It's a bit of a pointless exercise though as the starter will soon change to its surroundings/ atmoshere that it lives in.

I've been toying with the idea of making a starts and some sourdough but just haven't motivated myself to do it yet.
Yeah I’m in much the same boat.

Franco Manca do some cracking sourdough pizzas down in that London and sell off starter kits which I’ve been close on buying a couple of times when I was down there.

Back