Soundproofing

Nope, going to see if I can get the inspector out next week (my fear is that there's quite a bit of stuff I could flag up and I'd not want my house torn to shreds as it would upset the bairn and me tbh).

That's the bairns room, so no.

Cant do earplugs as I have to be a) alert so I can hear my bairn or any smoke alarms and b) able to hear my alarm go off as I work xx

The earplugs aren't that good. You'd hear loud noises it would just take the edge of the ones through the window.

Might seem like a bit of a crazy idea. But if you can't fit double glazing or change anything, then you could do a removable temporary bodge? Something like a piece of plywood, that fits the window, glue some of that pointy sound deadening foam to one side that will go up against the window. Maybe cover/paint the back so it doesn't look quite as bad and a couple of latches on the window frame. Put it up when you're going to bed, put it under your bed during the day. Much quieter and darker too.

A home-made baffle-board. Nice.

The pointy foam you're talking about is for deadening a room's reflections - the natural room reverb - not for soundproofing against the outside world. It will give a little bit of that too but there are better and cheaper alternatives for that.

Along with your "bodge job" idea of doing it on the cheap, some bed-roll foam like you use to sleep on in a tent when you go camping is cheap and fit for purpose. A few layers of that glued to the plywood would work a treat. The more layers, the better it will be for soundproofing but also the more flimsy and cumbersome it will be for putting up and taking down, so it will probably be a trial and error thing to get the perfect number of layers.

I have to jam the buggers right in, they block out loads of noise but I'd be paranoid sleeping in them for the reasons I've mentioned xx

Could you try ear plugs on a weekend with the alarm? They might be ok if you know you'll hear the alarm through them.

I'm dead to the world when I'm deep asleep. The bairn knows she has to shake me to wake me up if I don't respond to her speaking.

Think I'll try a diy solution, will look again at soundproofing foam and the likes just to wedge in there. The curtain thingy I've mentioned will probably take a month to arrive from China.

Could you try ear plugs on a weekend with the alarm? They might be ok if you know you'll hear the alarm through them.

I'm dead to the world when I'm deep asleep. The bairn knows she has to shake me to wake me up if I don't respond to her speaking.
Only on a weekend becs, need to be alert during the week xx

Last edited:
I know it sounds daft, but maybe get a loud baby monitor which you'll still hear with rear plugs. Much cheaper solution.
A rear plug, you dirty bastard.

Anyway, get Gentoo out. My mam is the same, doesn’t report stuff when she should. You should report it, I’d rather have a nice place and suffer a bit upheaval than not get it sorted.

A rear plug, you dirty bastard.

Anyway, get Gentoo out. My mam is the same, doesn’t report stuff when she should. You should report it, I’d rather have a nice place and suffer a bit upheaval than not get it sorted.
It is a nice enough place fella, that's my worry as some stuff like damp courses / taking plaster back to brick work / kitchen unit replacement and replacing floorboards will fuck up my decor and the upheaval would be distressing to my son and I.

It is a nice enough place fella, that's my worry as some stuff like damp courses / taking plaster back to brick work / kitchen unit replacement and replacing floorboards will fuck up my decor and the upheaval would be distressing to my son and I.
I know but it’ll never improve. My mams place is lovely but damp will never just go away, same with the other issues.

Anyway, that’s the best advice, not messing on with shite up at the window.

In my experience the council will do nowt. You are best off getting someone to hoy a brick through it then the council will have to put a new one in (hopefully double glazed).
Many years ago I lived in a shitty council bedsit and the crappy windows were even more warped than me, when the wind blew my curtains blew into the living room, the council came out for a look and said they wouldn't replace them the tight sods. The only window with double glazing was in the kitchen and that was only because it was smashed by the previous tenants ex-boyfriend. In the end I just handed the council the keys back and moved in with my parents for a while until I saved up to buy my own house.

In my experience the council will do nowt. You are best off getting someone to hoy a brick through it then the council will have to put a new one in (hopefully double glazed).
Many years ago I lived in a shitty council bedsit and the crappy windows were even more warped than me, when the wind blew my curtains blew into the living room, the council came out for a look and said they wouldn't replace them the tight sods. The only window with double glazing was in the kitchen and that was only because it was smashed by the previous tenants ex-boyfriend. In the end I just handed the council the keys back and moved in with my parents for a while until I saved up to buy my own house.
The clips in the beading have failed on a few of the windows, they spring up cracking the glass - Gentoo just send a guy out to put sticky back plastic on it until replacing the pane with a single sheet of glass.

Back