Soundproofing

Anyone have any ideas on how I can soundproof my bedroom window ? I was woken last night by someone either talking on the phone or to someone else next to my house last night (and it'll happen more often in the summer when it turns into party central round here with folks in their gardens etc).
The window is a crappy single glazed one and I'm getting really down as when I get woken up I'm on edge and struggle to get back off to sleep :cry:.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated apart from "brick it up", "go down and tell them to move or kick them in the fanny", or "move house" and the likes :lol:.

Are you able to get a new window fitted, double or ideally triple glazed?

IIRC you're in a council house, but I doubt they'd find out and it shouldn't cost much for a single window.

Are you able to get a new window fitted, double or ideally triple glazed?

IIRC you're in a council house, but I doubt they'd find out and it shouldn't cost much for a single window.

Gentoo should have double glazing in line with the Decent Homes programme, I'd have assumed anyway.
I've had a very quick look on the Gentoo website and from what I can see all homes should be double glazed. I might have missed something though

Contact Your housing office and see if there's a mop up scheme

Not sure, it's a Gentoo house so I'd probably have to get their permission first (and it would also depend on how much the cost was, the window is about 1m wide by 1.82m tall).

Probably under £500 for a double glazed unit.

Gentoo should have double glazing in line with the Decent Homes programme, I'd have assumed anyway.
I've had a very quick look on the Gentoo website and from what I can see all homes should be double glazed. I might have missed something though

In this case this. Did they get rid of the damp?

I got secondary double glazing on old sash windows about 20 years ago. Best investment ever. Cut out all but the worst noise. Neighbours complain about being woke up by students shoutingnin middle of night on way home but the secondary glazing cuts it out sufficiently to not disturb your sleep.

And risk getting a brick through it / harassment or assaulted ?

Might seem like a bit of a crazy idea. But if you can't fit double glazing or change anything, then you could do a removable temporary bodge? Something like a piece of plywood, that fits the window, glue some of that pointy sound deadening foam to one side that will go up against the window. Maybe cover/paint the back so it doesn't look quite as bad and a couple of latches on the window frame. Put it up when you're going to bed, put it under your bed during the day. Much quieter and darker too.

I might ring them, but all homes certainly are not double glazed - these ones have been in at least 13 years / maybe more and they're all failing and in bad nick.

As a short term fix would ear plugs help or maybe noise cancelling headphones?

Otherwise you are basically looking to stop sound waves so velour curtains hung close to the window followed by another set on your usual curtain track as far across the room as possible as well as high up and to the floor. It's not as good as double glazing though.

Probably under £500 for a double glazed unit.

In this case this. Did they get rid of the damp?
Nope, going to see if I can get the inspector out next week (my fear is that there's quite a bit of stuff I could flag up and I'd not want my house torn to shreds as it would upset the bairn and me tbh).

Move into the back bedroom.
That's the bairns room, so no.

As a short term fix would ear plugs help or maybe noise cancelling headphones?

Otherwise you are basically looking to stop sound waves so velour curtains hung close to the window followed by another set on your usual curtain track as far across the room as possible as well as high up and to the floor. It's not as good as double glazing though.
Cant do earplugs as I have to be a) alert so I can hear my bairn or any smoke alarms and b) able to hear my alarm go off as I work xx

Last edited:

Back