Sounding your horn – fine of up to £1000

Musicman

Striker
It’s illegal to hoot your car’s horn when you're stationary in traffic unless you’re alerting another road user to a danger.

It’s also an offence to sound the horn on a road with street lights and a 30mph limit between the hours of 11.30pm and 7am.

I once got pulled for beeping (it’s beeping not sounding) my horn at a bus that hadn’t moved off from the lights.

I had a proper arguement with the copper as she thought she was right. Turned out she was, I’m off to confess this afternoon.

Can't abide selfish arseholes who pull up outside someone's house to alert them of their presence rather than getting out and knocking on the door, as if everyone else in the street should go and check who it is.

Glad that's off my chest.

I once got pulled for beeping (it’s beeping not sounding) my horn at a bus that hadn’t moved off from the lights.

I had a proper arguement with the copper as she thought she was right. Turned out she was, I’m off to confess this afternoon.

Turn yourself in mate. It’s the decent thing to do.

Think of the children

Thoughts and prayers are with you

Can't abide selfish arseholes who pull up outside someone's house to alert them of their presence rather than getting out and knocking on the door, as if everyone else in the street should go and check who it is.

Or people who blast the car horn when waving goodbye. What's that all about? :confused:

Happens all the time round here. Or boy racers sat in their Corsas with the exhaust rattling. Pisses me off when the bairn's in bed and they're sitting beeping cos they're too lazy to pull up.

It’s illegal to hoot your car’s horn when you're stationary in traffic unless you’re alerting another road user to a danger.

It’s also an offence to sound the horn on a road with street lights and a 30mph limit between the hours of 11.30pm and 7am.

Can emergency services use their sirens between the hours of 11:30 and 7am?

Love doing this me. Just to see the curtain twitchers with no mates peering out looking annoyed.

Can emergency services use their sirens between the hours of 11:30 and 7am?
Yes but there’s not much need too.
We have had complaints in the past from joe public about sirens being used at night.
We now have a “sensible use of blue lights” stance where we use them less often and you can interpret night time is one of the sensible parts

That’s a little bit different.

Yes i wasnt trying to be clever. Just wondering.

Yes but there’s not much need too.
We have had complaints in the past from joe public about sirens being used at night.
We now have a “sensible use of blue lights” stance where we use them less often and you can interpret night time is one of the sensible parts

On my road for instance alot of times they wont use sirens just lights if its very late at night. However we get the odd one using the sirens, so didnt know what rules were in place.

Speaking of. I wish the council switched the street lamps off after 11pm, can any old knacker confirm if this was common practice in the past?

Yes i wasnt trying to be clever. Just wondering.

On my road for instance alot of times they wont use sirens just lights if its very late at night. However we get the odd one using the sirens, so didnt know what rules were in place.

Speaking of. I wish the council switched the street lamps off after 11pm, can any old knacker confirm if this was common practice in the past?
Some services use them more than others. I’m referring to ambulances.

The danger being, if you don't get out of the way i'm going to knock you out.

Back