Sore knees after running

Running on the road or track/treadmill?

Initial thoughts other than hard surface are footwear, technique or just that your knees aren't used to the impact.

Any probable cause and any suggestions to prevent soreness?

You can get knee bands that fasten just under the knees and prevent excess movements, used to wear them when well and running lots of mileage and I found them to be effective for me, despite having knee issues both legs especially on road as no give from impact.

Check you have decent insoles in your running shoes, or right type of trainers for you. Running shops will check you out for free most of the good ones, depends on how you run, your body issues and type of mileage and terrain. Might sound stupid, but make sure footwear is not laced up too tight, as could alter the running pattern and stride.

Do something about it though and do not just carry on and ignoring issue. Seek advice from a professional either a Physio, Chiropractor or a Sports Therapist. It could be due to a number of factors causing the problem. I used to also use sorbathane insoles to assist in stopping/reducing impact to the feet.

Running on the road or track/treadmill?

Initial thoughts other than hard surface are footwear, technique or just that your knees aren't used to the impact.
Road. I've just started really, so it could be any of the things you mention. Ran two days in a row and today they're uncomfortable. My mate got me into it and he runs marathons so I'm trying to follow his advice on form but without him here to pick me up on mistakes it could be that.

Road. I've just started really, so it could be any of the things you mention. Ran two days in a row and today they're uncomfortable. My mate got me into it and he runs marathons so I'm trying to follow his advice on form but without him here to pick me up on mistakes it could be that.

Vary your mileage and times running as well, if your just starting could be pushing a bit too hard before your used to the training. Run every other day for a while and see if a rest day helps or one day longer and one day shorter. Also go by times, fartlek training is good to assist you improve individual performance, once you reach a reasonable standard of fitness.

Need to vary things and to build up slowly, always makes sure you stretch before and after and also warm up and warm down as tight muscles will also cause issues. Make sure you do hamstring stretches, easy to do stand on toes on kerb edge and push heels down then raise them up, before and after as well.

All above required to assist you not hurting yourself. If you do not do above they can cause issues that you struggle to get over. Pain is not just a figment of imagination leaving the body, it is a warning to you, get me sorted.

Vary your mileage and times running as well, if your just starting could be pushing a bit too hard before your used to the training. Run every other day for a while and see if a rest day helps or one day longer and one day shorter. Also go by times, fartlek training is good to assist you improve individual performance, once you reach a reasonable standard of fitness.

Need to vary things and to build up slowly, always makes sure you stretch before and after and also warm up and warm down as tight muscles will also cause issues. Make sure you do hamstring stretches, easy to do stand on toes on kerb edge and push heels down then raise them up, before and after as well.

All above required to assist you not hurting yourself. If you do not do above they can cause issues that you struggle to get over. Pain is not just a figment of imagination leaving the body, it is a warning to you, get me sorted.
Thanks for the advice.

Thanks for the advice.

The type of shoe also natters depending on how your foot hits the ground and the proclination. Side of foot, flat footed, dropped arches, inside of foot.

Running shops will tell you normally at no cost the best trainer for you.

Always get the best you can afford rather than cheap crap which will cost more in time and recovery from injuries.

Ran again yesterday. Knees worse than ever. Gonna try track at Silky next time and see if surface is the issue. If I still have issues might just have to knock it on the head, unfortunately.

Try running on grass more for a bit would be my suggestion, or taking longer rest between runs to allow your knees to recover a bit.

I suffer from Osgood-schlatter disease where I basically get knots in my knees after running. Not a great deal I've been able to do about it unfortunately if this is something you think you might have, they just recommend ice packs after runs etc. and taking longer rest as I mentioned earlier.

Thanks for this. Going to keep this in mind.

I have been running for a few years and do various types of distances from 5km to halfs as well as xcountry and track.

Recently been getting a pain in my knee during my sunday long run after about 14 or 15km to a point where I have to stop. It only hurts for a day or 2 and doesnt impact my club training sessions.

I have been doing knee and hip strenghthening exercises for over a year so i dont think its a weak knee.

Tried shortening my stride yesterday and managed 16km with no pain so going to try that for a few weeks.

Found my splits were actually quicker which was a bonus.

Ignore your mate. He means well but your form is based on your own biomechanics. As others have said, make sure you have the right shoe for the way you run. Also make sure you don't do too much too soon. Have you started with a proper couch to 5k programme

Brooks Running

Rest is just as important as training.
Was recommended these.

Ignore your mate. He means well but your form is based on your own biomechanics. As others have said, make sure you have the right shoe for the way you run. Also make sure you don't do too much too soon. Have you started with a proper couch to 5k programme
I'm fairly fit to begin with and go to the gym regularly. I was in the US recently and as I couldn't get to a gym (they were all miles away, fifteen minutes or more by car) we went running a few times. When I was over there we did four milers and I didn't have too many issues. Since I came back I've ran 2.2 miles three times and after the last one my knees are pretty uncomfortable. Not sure what has changed between then and now. Same shoes and everything, no change in technique as far as I can tell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was recommended these.

Why? I'm sure they're a great shoe for the people whose running style they suit but do they suit yours?

"The Brooks Asteria is a road running shoe designed for racing and uptempo training. It delivers reliable support and speed with a light feel. This is best for mild pronators."

So they're for mild pronators, is that you?

This also makes them sound more like a shoe for an experienced runner looking to beat a pb than a shoe suitable for someone still building up their pace & endurance.

I'm fairly fit to begin with and go to the gym regularly. I was in the US recently and as I couldn't get to a gym (they were all miles away, fifteen minutes or more by car) we went running a few times. When I was over there we did four milers and I didn't have too many issues. Since I came back I've ran 2.2 miles three times and after the last one my knees are pretty uncomfortable. Not sure what has changed between then and now. Same shoes and everything, no change in technique as far as I can tell.

General fitness actually has little to do with it. When you run you put the force of 3 to 4x your bodyweight through your knees so unless they're currently used to a certain amount of running already you could be just looking at a loss of conditioning that needs to be gradually built up again.

What sort of mileage have your current shoes done? Depending on make & model they can be worn out from as little as 350 miles. The way I can normally tell when they're finished is if runs that are well within my normal range are giving me achey joints.

In my experience, most overuse injuries are the result of accumulation rather than 1 specific thing & in my case it's normally my knees where I'll feel it. For most of January they'd have felt like this after a mile or 2, February after 5k at the beginning & 10K by the end. I found out my New Balance were much easier on my knees (though harder on my calves) than my Adidas & Asics shoes so I put the Adidas & Asics ones away until I was comfortably able to do 10K again without a reaction.

Yesterday was my 1st 20 mile run since October & my knees are a bit tender today so I won't be attempting another run until tomorrow night at the earliest.

Back