Sony 50mm 1.8?

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

washingtonwallah

Wonder if yous can help me out?
Its me Birthday comin up and I'm looking to get a half decent Portrait lens. I've checked out the Sony 50mm 1.8 for me a200 and at £150 new, that looks ok.The lens is gonna be a 'surprise' off me Wife and is not very keen on buying a better quality used one. I've only got a budget of £200ish which I know isn't a great deal for a good new lens.
Question is, do you advise sticking to a 50mm or is there anythin else which would do the job at a comparable quality?.
Cheers

Wonder if yous can help me out?
Its me Birthday comin up and I'm looking to get a half decent Portrait lens. I've checked out the Sony 50mm 1.8 for me a200 and at £150 new, that looks ok.The lens is gonna be a 'surprise' off me Wife and is not very keen on buying a better quality used one. I've only got a budget of £200ish which I know isn't a great deal for a good new lens.
Question is, do you advise sticking to a 50mm or is there anythin else which would do the job at a comparable quality?.
Cheers

the 50mm f1.8 sony is a cracking lens mate, i have it and can fully reccommend it, it can be found for cheaper than that though if you look around, think i paid about £110 for mine about a year ago.

can show you a few example pics if ya like?

the 50mm f1.8 sony is a cracking lens mate, i have it and can fully reccommend it, it can be found for cheaper than that though if you look around, think i paid about £110 for mine about a year ago.

can show you a few example pics if ya like?
Thanks clyde,
It does look a good lens. The cheapest one I've found so far is 139 off Amazon.
Its just as I don't know that much about about various types of lens yet, I needed a bit of help in case there was somethin else available. I'm sure I'll get there one day.
Thanks again

i have the minolta 50mm 1.7 and its great, really impressed, I paid £70 for it and love it.

Sony will clearly be the better model but the old minolta is really sought after and is a good portrait lens

Seems like the 50mm 1.8 is the standard lens across the manufacturers. For what its worth, the canon 1.8 build quality is shite, it's like a bairns kaleidoscope, wide open at 1.8 it's a bit soft, but stop it down and its sharper than my L zoom. Class.

Seems like the 50mm 1.8 is the standard lens across the manufacturers. For what its worth, the canon 1.8 build quality is shite, it's like a bairns kaleidoscope, wide open at 1.8 it's a bit soft, but stop it down and its sharper than my L zoom. Class.

Right, it's a cracking lens for the money, though I have the f/1.4 and I love it. Creamy bokeh rules!

Right, it's a cracking lens for the money, though I have the f/1.4 and I love it. Creamy bokeh rules!

the 50mm 1.4 is on my shopping list too - the bokeh on the 1.8 is a bit rough wide open. In an ideal world I'd get the 35mm 1.4 that I'm dead lucky to be borrowing at the moment - it's a fuc**ng gorgeous lens. Sharpest I've used - I took this with it hanging off the front of a borrowed 5d MKII (I've got this image blown up to about 6ft on the long edge)

Logon or register to see this image

Wearmouth Bridge by David John Harris, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back