Songs that sound like other songs

I was listening to a classical music compilation recently and Sergei Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No 2 in C minor, Op 18.

Recognised the melody and realised it was basically 'All by Myself' (Eric Carmen). Read up on it and he freely admitted it was the inspiration for part of the song.

Neil Innes was fantastic and did a load of parodies of Beatles songs for the Rutles that came very close to the originals. Before he died Neil said that he had been sued for one of the Rutles' songs( I can't remember which one) and part of the settlement had been that henceforth the song had always to be attributed to Paul McCartney . McCartney was of course a big mate of Neil's and they both pissed themselves at the thought that in years to come musical scholars might argue about a song that the records showed was certainly written by McCartney but didn't sound quite like one of his.

Anyway here's the best song from Abbey Road that wasn't actually on the album
Neil Innes was o e of my musical heroes. Was gutted when he died.

The original recorded on the Beatles Apple lable

and the nicked idea

Last edited:
The riff of Holidays in the Sun by the Sex Pistols and In the City by the Jam..which culminated in an argument between Sid Vicious and Paul Weller as to who copied who then Weller lamping Vicious.

That Kid Rock song All Summer Long obviously has some clear rip-offs of Sweet Home Alabama, but the intro is also stolen note for note from Werewolves of London. Every time it comes on the radio I think "get in, it's Warren Zevon", swiftly followed by "for fucks sake, not this shite again".

The choruses of 'Revolutionary Spirit' by The Wild Swans and 'Little Sister' by Queens of the Stone Age.

Intro of The Moody Blues 'Nights In White Satin' is very similar to Love's 'Signed DC'

Last edited:
Neil Innes was o e of my musical heroes. Was gutted when he died.
Same here mate. He was the only sane member of the Bonzo's and yet it was really touching how the other always seemed to tolerate him.
To me it wasn't just his Beatles song parodies that were brilliant it was the detail of the George Martin type production that went with them that was pure genius . He was highly under rated as a writer and a performer He's a great great miss.

Back