Songs that remind you of some special, stirring your heart.

About time we had a deep thread about the more meaningful and sweeter things in life.
Music is more powerful than many realise, so post a song that whenever you hear it, someone special you think of or remember, always comes to mind and it fills you with emotion of the special times you have/once shared. Stopping your mind and heart in their tracks, if it comes on unexpectedly, wherever you may be in the day.
Explaining the reason why is optional, but bonus points if you want to pour your heart out. If you don't want to get deep, just the song would be good enough.:)

I'll start.

Guaranteed to bring sweet memories of my dad flooding back, every time. It was one of his favourite songs.
I always go back in time to a Sunday morning, being a kid, surrounded by my loads of sisters and brother. mam cooking the dinner and my dad, with Hamlet cigar in his mouth or hand, joking on or hoying out words of wisdom and ranting on how good this song was and her voice, when he played it.:)

This song reminds me of an ex who made my heart burn like fire!!:D

Next..

Last edited:

Lots of memories with my Mam, mostly from singing along together to old musicals like Calamity Jane or Singin' In the Rain. But this one always makes me smile.
Back to the days when teenagers played LPs in their rooms - I'd have True on and for some reason Mam would manage to come upstairs just to yell out 'Gold' always late or in the wrong place. And I'd always say 'Shut up, Mother!' :)

Coming in from school and seeing my Mam doing the ironing and singing her heart out with The Carpenters

Keep having a recurring dream about sleeping with someone I really like in the bath while this is playing. Bloody hormones!

An ex-girlfriend of mine:
We used to listen to A7X a lot and it just reminds me of her. I wish it wouldn't!!

And this song reminds me of leaving school, not for any particular lyrical reason but just because it was on the radio a lot at the time:

This song just gets me, a memory of my mil, my children's Nanny. She loved this song. It was played at her funeral and still makes me get an itchy face when i hear it. ( She was with her husband "granddad" for sixty years)

Last Waltz

Engelbert Humperdinck

I wondered should I go or should I stay,
The band had only one more song to play.
And then I saw you out the corner of my eye,
A little girl, alone and so shy.
I had the last waltz with you,
Two lonely people together.
I fell in love with you,
The last waltz should last forever.
But the love we had was going strong,
Through the good and bad we get along.
And then the flame of love died in your eye,
My heart was broke in two when you said goodbye.
I fell in love with you,
It's all over now, nothing left to say,
Just my tears and the orchestra playing.
La la la la la la la la la,
La la la la la la la la la.
I fell in love with you,
La la la la la la la la la.
Songwriters: Barry Mason / Les Reed

That song reminds of being young, drinking, finding somewhere late at night ( after midnight) to eat, going back
to friends' houses for a further drink and music [that song above]. Only deciding to go home when the birds started singing and it got light.

Reminds most people of wanking

Parents - Roxy Music "Dance Away", Gerry Rafferty "Baker Street". Long drives on Holiday to Cornwall
One Stand Out Lady (No Pics) - Nicole Willis "If This Ain't Love" John Martyn "Hurt In Your Heart". Absolutely making a mess of what was a wonderful thing
Pure Emotions :lol: Durutti Column "Requiem Again" Talk Talk "Give It Up"

I've recently lost a good Friend, who I spent most of 1990 with, having such a great Year. With that in mind

Shout Out To The Sicilian Posse In Peterlee 1990

The Beautiful South was one of my mams bands, as a wean and later a NME band snob in the 00s I didn't really give them much attention till watching them one T in the Park and drunkingly phoning my mam to let her listen in, then years down the line taking her to see Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbott on their reunion, to playing all their stuff to her on her last day. I like to have a wee smile and look up whenever they drop on the random play.

Back