Song meanings

I am the Walrus - The Beatles

Was deliberately written to have no meaning at all. Allegedly they wrote it in about 20 mins after learning college students were analysing Beatles lyrics in class.

Lennon found out that his own old school were analysing his lyrics, when they called him a waster when he was there. So it's a bit of a sarcastic, anti-institutional rant about that.
And the chorus is an Alice in Wonderland reference

Last edited:

Golden Brown is actually about toast

I thought it was about Gordon Brown? :rolleyes: always wondered why he had a texture like sun...

"There She Goes", by The La's was about Heroin - the 'she' that is referred to constantly is constantly thought to be heroin. They're saying that 'she' is great, but the high she gives does not last long and the fact that this drug is controlling this person's every thought.

Last edited:
Land Of Make Believe by Bucks Fizz is a sarcastic dig at Thatcher supporters.

Jerusalem is a call to not accept your lot and strive to better things for humanity.

Ebeneezer Goode by The Shamen is about a gent who used to like to attend parties and get people going.

It’s believed to be based on comedian Russ Abbott whose own hit party song ‘Atmosphere’ had been an inspiration to the band.

read an interview 30 years later, where the writer of the song debunked that. Said it could've been any 3 syllable nationality -Lebanese - for example, but Japanese just felt right. He said it absolutely wasn't about what people think it is.
If I was a pop star and my only memorable hit was a song about wanking in prison, I'd probably swear blind it was meant to be about something else.

Back