Solksjaer...till end of season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not normally one to seat myself amongst the doomers and gloomers, but I'm gonna call bottom half finish for Man U now

I'm not normally one to seat myself amongst the doomers and gloomers, but I'm gonna call bottom half finish for Man U now
Doubt it. I think it's a stupid appointment but Utd were under-performing to some extent and they should recover somewhat.

Over the next 5 years Arsenal, Spurs, City and Liverpool will become entrenched in the top 4 and there will be no way back for them.

Can't think of a club in the top 2 divisions who'd be happy with that appointment. Mental times at Man Utd
Should have just gone for Carrick or Giggs if they wanted a short-term appointment. They at least know the players.

Something dramatic has to happen to make a coach like Pochettino consider them in the Summer.

Why does it matter he knows the club?
Because there's still the Champions League, FA Cup and top 4 qualification (difficult as it maybe) to fight for.

They should improve somewhat over next couple of months but if they wanted an interim appointment give it someone like Howe who might have a long term chance, or someone like Hiddink who knows football inside out.

Last edited:
Can't think of a club in the top 2 divisions who'd be happy with that appointment. Mental times at Man Utd

He’s very highly regarded as a potential manager by SAF (yeah I know Moyes was his pick too) but I think 1) OGS will get a lot of hands on support from fergie / phelan 2) players will almost certainly buy in 3) fans will back him.

He’s clearly no mug, Cardiff can be excused, bad decision taking that
job when he did. And he really hasn’t got anything to lose so the football will be attacking, as it needs to be at OT

Not doubting Lingard as a player but would love Roy Keane to respond to all of this handshake & fort nite dancing bullshit.

Keane's problem this, tbh.

What does it matter if Lingard likes to do silly celebrations? If he works hard for the team, is a decidsted professional in training, is a team player and performs at a decent level of quality - the celebrations are irrelevant. Krabi gets distracted by such ephemera, to his detriment really. Holds him back as a manager.

I heard Laurent Blanc mentioned before they appointed him.

Free agent - managed at the top level. Ex Man Utd. Would have been an ideal interim manager.

Then they go for someone who is a recognised failure

A recognised failure? Bit harsh. He had a mare at Cardiff but fair to say the odds were stacked against him. Difficult to put his success in Norway into much context or his managerial career to date for that matter. Fergie knows his credentials as well as anybody though and it’s clear he has had a big hand in this. Will be interesting to see what happens but I’m quite surprised so many are writing it off as stupidity. A bit left field perhaps but what’s to lose?

A recognised failure? Bit harsh. He had a mare at Cardiff but fair to say the odds were stacked against him. Difficult to put his success in Norway into much context or his managerial career to date for that matter. Fergie knows his credentials as well as anybody though and it’s clear he has had a big hand in this. Will be interesting to see what happens but I’m quite surprised so many are writing it off as stupidity. A bit left field perhaps but what’s to lose?

How does Ferguson know anything about his managerial skills? Can't think he has watched much of Molde. He lost any credibility with Moyes for me - 6 year contract (mentioned the other day he is still in that contract period).

If he hadn't played for Man Utd he wouldn't even have been mentioned. On what basis is that for a manager at one of the biggest clubs around?

Man Utd could easily not finish sixth and could miss out on Europe altogether.

OGS will not be a monumental failure at United, he won't be pulling up any trees either.

They won't win a trophy and will either scrap a European place or miss out on it (just slightly).

Poch would be a idiot to leave Spurs for United, Zidane would be a fool to take the job. The Munich job will more than likely be his.....

Howe, where is this talk coming from? Wouldn't he be the same as OGS in terms of appointment, not really done much and if appointed will have a cataclysmic fall, if it goes wrong.

How does Ferguson know anything about his managerial skills? Can't think he has watched much of Molde. He lost any credibility with Moyes for me - 6 year contract (mentioned the other day he is still in that contract period).

If he hadn't played for Man Utd he wouldn't even have been mentioned. On what basis is that for a manager at one of the biggest clubs around?

Man Utd could easily not finish sixth and could miss out on Europe altogether.

I think this all stems back to the amount of time OGS spent on the bench during his super sub days and the detailed conversations he and SAF had about games/ tactics / philosophy. Fergie has said on record of all the players he managed he thought Solskjaer would be the one to have the biggest impact as a manager.

I think that’s how. I suppose you could argue, given his record and that he’s written books and delivered academic work on the matter, that Alex Ferguson is reasonably placed to have an understanding on such matters. No guarantees of course. He could be shit.

Well, SAF certainly hit the nail with Moyes. Maybe that's why he lost all managerial skills
Where Moyes fell down (very early on) was his lack of appreciation regarding the traditions at man united. The requirement of attacking football, always taking the game to the opposition and width. Getting shot of the existing backroom staff for his own was also a huge error of judgement.
Solskjaer won’t do that. Phelan and Fergie will be hands on, OGS loves attacking football - it was his downfall / maybe naieve at Cardiff following the very defensive Malky McKay mid season. He might not be good enough of course, but the appointment makes more sense than a lot of people are crediting if you look more closely at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back