Solider F

Thought all perpetrators of murders and atrocities which were deemed to be part of the troubles were pardoned as part of the good Friday agreement, surely this is the same?
No mate, for some fcking reason the govt agreed that all those ira suspect terrorists were given a get out of jail free card whilst agreeing to persue any member of the uk services perceived to have done wrong. It seems they were desperately seeking a peaceful resolution to the problem

I suppose it's creditable that at least one side were willing to compromise

C

Read it all, and still can't see why would we pardon ira murderers and now try to make an example of a lad doing his job 40 years ago.
Whilst I realise some fckwit will bleat "it wasn't his job to murder people" I'll guarantee it wasn't someone who's been in his situation.

C

Read it all, and still can't see why would we pardon ira murderers and now try to make an example of a lad doing his job 40 years ago.
He shot innocent people though at the end of the day and while it’s not pre meditated murder it is manslaughter at the very least.

I agree however that he’s being made a scapegoat to try and bring some closure to the tragedy.

If they have amnesty for all those involved in the troubles it should include everyone.

C

We agreed to release some convicted paramilitaries as part of the GFA.

Some crimes where people weren't convicted could still see convictions.

If you think murdering unarmed civilians is a soldier's job you must think very little of our military.

If they have amnesty for all those involved in the troubles it should include everyone.
That's not the agreement we made though.

While I understand where you're coming from, and agree on the balance of it, part of me still thinks British soldiers should be held to a higher standard.

I think laying the blame at one random para reeks though.

Last edited:
Whilst I realise some fckwit will bleat "it wasn't his job to murder people" I'll guarantee it wasn't someone who's been in his situation.
While I don't agree with him being prosecuted as we need to put this behind us, I don't see why he should be granted anonymity when the Irish were openly named. And 'his situation' doesn't work as an excuse otherwise why bother having any type of code of conduct?

While I don't agree with him being prosecuted as we need to put this behind us, I don't see why he should be granted anonymity when the Irish were openly named. And 'his situation' doesn't work as an excuse otherwise why bother having any type of code of conduct?
I didn't realise all the Irish terrorist suspects that had been "pardoned" had been named. Fair enough mate, they should name him as a suspect and pardon him just the same as all the others.

I'm not excusing him due to his situation, I'm pointing out the hypocrisy of posters saying he should have done this or that.

Responsibility for killing

Republican paramilitary groups - 2058
Loyalist paramilitary groups - 1027
British security forces - 363
Persons unknown - 79
Irish security forces - 5

Of those killed by republican paramilitaries:

• 1080 (~52%) were members/former members of the British security forces
  • 723 (~35%) were civilians
  • 187 (~9%) were members of republican paramilitaries
  • 57 (~2.7%) were members of loyalist paramilitaries
  • 11 (~0.5%) were members of the Irish security forces
Of those killed by British security forces:
Grim reading that mate should be on one of them wall in Belfast so nobody can forget
  • 187 (~51.5%) were civilians
  • 145 (~39.9%) were members of republican paramilitaries
  • 18 (~4.9%) were members of loyalist paramilitaries
  • 13 (~3.5%) were fellow members of the British security forces
Of those killed by loyalist paramilitaries:

• 878 (~85.4%) were civilians
  • 94 (~9%) were members of loyalist paramilitaries
  • 41 (~4%) were members of republican paramilitaries
  • 14 (~1%) were members of the British security forces
In all 1788 innocent people were killed in during the Troubles.

They would not exist at all if not for British rule and you know it.

If France occupied the whole country, killed 9 in 10 of you, made you speak French etc how long do you think it would take for you to just get over it?
It would take them some time to get me to talk french, I tell ya.:)

what did he do?

From the reporting of the Saville enquiry, this was just one of his killings:

Soldier F was shown to have killed at least four people that day. One of them was Patrick Doherty, shot through a buttock as he was crawling away. One more killing which soldier F had ‘forgotten’ about when first questioned by the RMP (Royal Military Police).
"Then, while Doherty lay crying in agony, a 41-year-old man called Barney McGuigan stepped out from behind a block of flats to try to get help for the dying man. McGuigan was waving a white handkerchief."
According to the testimony of numerous witnesses, including an officer from another regiment stationed on the city walls, Soldier F — positioned on the other side of the road — got down on one knee and shot McGuigan through the head. No one who saw the mortuary photos of the exit wound in McGuigan’s face will forget what just that one bullet of soldier F’s did.

If you want to stand up for that kind of soldier more fool you.

He didn't just pitch up on the Calais-Dover ferry and ask for a crown FFS

He came across with a combined army of Normans, Bretons and French and conquered England militarily. He then overthrew the country. How isn't that an invasion?

It isn't a French or even Norman invasion.
He went over to claim the throne and fight it out with the other claimants.
People are not the same as countries.

In that case Norway and Denmark also invaded... except oh no they didn't because it was just people claiming the throne that Edward was too virginal to secure a successor for

Oh and the Vatican invaded too then

Except it didn't because that is just how the actual GOT worked.
Alliances and agreements and force.

William the Conqueror did not claim the throne as the Duke of Normandy, his claim was one of an allegedly personal promise.

From the reporting of the Saville enquiry, this was just one of his killings:

Soldier F was shown to have killed at least four people that day. One of them was Patrick Doherty, shot through a buttock as he was crawling away. One more killing which soldier F had ‘forgotten’ about when first questioned by the RMP (Royal Military Police).
"Then, while Doherty lay crying in agony, a 41-year-old man called Barney McGuigan stepped out from behind a block of flats to try to get help for the dying man. McGuigan was waving a white handkerchief."
According to the testimony of numerous witnesses, including an officer from another regiment stationed on the city walls, Soldier F — positioned on the other side of the road — got down on one knee and shot McGuigan through the head. No one who saw the mortuary photos of the exit wound in McGuigan’s face will forget what just that one bullet of soldier F’s did.

If you want to stand up for that kind of soldier more fool you.
According to you Leonidas killed thousands of Turks

It takes more than heresay to convict a man

I stand with #SoldierB as i stand with #SoldierF These service personnel are being left out to dry whilst the IRA on the run members get out of jail free cards. Disgraceful.

Back