Solider F

You like to give things silly names, granted. Unless you studied at some tin pot muggy gaffe you are then fully aware that there was no famine

Did you just learn titles at your institution?

You know there was no famine and that is what the British called it.
I think it was called An gorta mór in Ireland
Well, in school in Ireland I studied honours level history in Irish history, under the Irish educational curriculum by one of the top Irish historian teachers in Ireland. That period of Irish history was called 'An Gorta Mór' or 'An Gorta Drochshaol' which as Gaelige mean 'The Great Famine/Hunger'. We all know what happened. There was a potato plight across Europe and any crops or food would saving were shipped of over to Britain and the Irish starved. But that doesn't change the fact that in Irish history it's referred to as An Gorta Mór or The Great Famine.

And please, don't lecture me on MY COUNTRY'S history and language every again!

Well, in school in Ireland I studied honours level history in Irish history, under the Irish educational curriculum by one of the top Irish historian teachers in Ireland. That period of Irish history was called 'An Gorta Mór' or 'An Gorta Drochshaol' which as Gaelige mean 'The Great Famine/Hunger'. We all know what happened. There was a potato plight across Europe and any crops or food would saving were shipped of over to Britain and the Irish starved. But that doesn't change the fact that in Irish history it's referred to as An Gorta Mór or The Great Famine.

And please, don't lecture me on MY COUNTRY'S history and language every again!
*snicker*

So you admit that there was no famine then good.

That was my point. Call it what you like.

Good - so you now agree that you do indeed have both Irish and British citizenship.
I don't have both, I have the option to British but as I am not British I choose not to avail myself of that.

I really don't understand what you're so upset about.

Last edited:
I think it was @cornish mackem that posted the split between people being brought to trial in cold cases. It's pretty even.

Where did 800 come from btw? I thought it was less than that but I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again.
In the last eight years, the PPS has taken prosecutorial decisions in 26 other cases related to the Troubles.

Thirteen of those related to alleged offences involving republican paramilitaries, with eight prosecutions taken.

Eight of the 26 cases related to alleged loyalist paramilitary activity, with decisions to prosecute in four instances.

Three cases involved former soldiers, with prosecutions mounted in each one.

Two cases involved police officers and both resulted in a decision not to prosecute.

*snicker*

I don't have both, I have the option to British but as I am not British I choose not to avail myself of that.

You don't have the choice - it was automatically given to you. You don't need to apply. You are British because you were born here before 1983. You don't need any documentation to be British in your case. How do you struggle to realise this?

In the case of your Irish citizenship it was different - your parents had to actually register you to become Irish as you were not born there - I am assuming you were born post 1949.

I have no idea why you think I am upset - just pointing out your misunderstanding of your own citizenship. The relevance is your continued bigoted use of phrases like "you are still there" " you have not apologized". That includes you as a Brit - as repeatedly asked by others why don't you say what your part is in all this. You are as guilty as the majority of other Brits you tar with the same racist brush.

Have you noticed how the real Irish on here are even calling you out? Do you put on a fake Irish accent when you go there?

*snicker*

Will we rename all this as well:
Republic of Ireland[edit]

• The National Famine Museum at Strokestown Park
  • Customs House Quays, Dublin. Painfully thin sculptural figures, by artist Rowan Gillespie, stand as if walking towards the emigration ships on the Dublin Quayside.
  • St Stephen's Green, Dublin. "Famine", a sculpture by Edward Delaney.
  • Limerick, The 'Broken Heart' Famine memorial by Maria Pizzuti, Lower Mallow Street. The sculpture, created in 1997, is a fountain in the shape of a broken heart in memory of the forced emigration of several thousands who fled to America and beyond from nearby Steamboat Quay. Also in Limerick city, the Pauper's Graveyard (now known as St Brigid's cemetery) in Killeely. Here a large timber cross was erected on the site of this mass graveyard. There are no headstones.
  • Murrisk, County Mayo. This sculpture of a famine ship, near the foot of Croagh Patrick, depicts the refugees it carries as dead souls hanging from the sides.
  • Clones, County Monaghan Famine Graveyard, Clones will host the National Famine Commemoration for 2011 with President Mary McAleese and other representatives from 30 Countries also taking part.
  • Donaghmore Famine Museum - set in Donaghmore Workhouse in County Laois.
  • Doolough Tragedy, County Mayo. A memorial commemorates famine victims who walked from Louisburgh along the mountain road to Delphi Lodge to seek relief from the Poor Board who were meeting there. Returning after their request was refused, many of them died at this point.
  • Doagh Island, Inishowen, County Donegal. Doagh Visitor Centre and Famine Museum has exhibits and memorial on the effects of the famine in Inishowen, Donegal. [1]
  • Ennistymon, County Clare. This was the first memorial in Ireland to honour those who suffered and were lost during the Great Famine. It is erected across the road from Ennistymon Hospital, built on the grounds of the local workhouse where an estimated 20,000 Irish died and a mass graveyard for children who perished and were buried without coffins.[1]
  • Sligo, County Sligo, has three memorial sculptures erected by the Sligo Famine Commemoration Committee.[2] One is at the quayside, of a family comforting each other, where 30,000 people emigrated between 1847 and 1851. The other two are the gates of a famine graveyard and of a tree (called Faoin Sceach) in the grounds of the graveyard, where approximately 2,000 famine victims are buried.
  • Mullingar, County Westmeath, the Famine Memorial Fountain stands on Oliver Plunkett Street.
  • Newcastle West, County Limerick, The Famine Graveyard is at the rear of modern-day St. Ita's Hospital. Hundreds of people who died during the famine are buried there in unmarked graves. The cemetery is marked by a plain old cross. Close by stands the Workhouse.
  • Kilmallock County Limerick, Famine Memorial Park. Marks the graves of those who died in the nearby workhouse and were buried in unmarked graves.
  • Kilkenny in the McDonagh Junction complex. The memorial is marked by a small garden, where many bodies were found during an excavation.
  • Ballingarry: Famine Warhouse 1848. Widow McCormack's house, the site of the 1848 rebellion, has now been converted into a museum.
  • Thurles Famine Museum occupies St. Mary's church in Thurles. St. Mary's church is built on the site of another pre-reformation church dating to the 12th century. This site includes both war and Irish Famine memorials.
  • Tuamgraney famine graveyard memorial at St. Cronan's Church, Tuamgraney
  • National Famine Monument, Murrisk, Westport, Co Mayo

For someone who claims you ain't British you don't half go on like they did over for 800 years. Telling us about our history and our language.

Cailín Béarla dúr

Last edited:

• Customs House Quays, Dublin. Painfully thin sculptural figures, by artist Rowan Gillespie, stand as if walking towards the emigration ships on the Dublin Quayside.
  • Limerick, The 'Broken Heart' Famine memorial by Maria Pizzuti, Lower Mallow Street. The sculpture, created in 1997, is a fountain in the shape of a broken heart in memory of the forced emigration of several thousands who fled to America and beyond from nearby Steamboat Quay. Also in Limerick city, the Pauper's Graveyard (now known as St Brigid's cemetery) in Killeely. Here a large timber cross was erected on the site of this mass graveyard. There are no headstones.
  • Murrisk, County Mayo. This sculpture of a famine ship, near the foot of Croagh Patrick, depicts the refugees it carries as dead souls hanging from the sides.
  • Clones, County Monaghan Famine Graveyard, Clones will host the National Famine Commemoration for 2011 with President Mary McAleese and other representatives from 30 Countries also taking part.
  • Doolough Tragedy, County Mayo. A memorial commemorates famine victims who walked from Louisburgh along the mountain road to Delphi Lodge to seek relief from the Poor Board who were meeting there. Returning after their request was refused, many of them died at this point.
  • Doagh Island, Inishowen, County Donegal. Doagh Visitor Centre and Famine Museum has exhibits and memorial on the effects of the famine in Inishowen, Donegal. [1]
  • Ennistymon, County Clare. This was the first memorial in Ireland to honour those who suffered and were lost during the Great Famine. It is erected across the road from Ennistymon Hospital, built on the grounds of the local workhouse where an estimated 20,000 Irish died and a mass graveyard for children who perished and were buried without coffins.[1]
  • Sligo, County Sligo, has three memorial sculptures erected by the Sligo Famine Commemoration Committee.[2] One is at the quayside, of a family comforting each other, where 30,000 people emigrated between 1847 and 1851. The other two are the gates of a famine graveyard and of a tree (called Faoin Sceach) in the grounds of the graveyard, where approximately 2,000 famine victims are buried.
  • Mullingar, County Westmeath, the Famine Memorial Fountain stands on Oliver Plunkett Street.
  • Newcastle West, County Limerick, The Famine Graveyard is at the rear of modern-day St. Ita's Hospital. Hundreds of people who died during the famine are buried there in unmarked graves. The cemetery is marked by a plain old cross. Close by stands the Workhouse.
  • Kilmallock County Limerick, Famine Memorial Park. Marks the graves of those who died in the nearby workhouse and were buried in unmarked graves.
  • Kilkenny in the McDonagh Junction complex. The memorial is marked by a small garden, where many bodies were found during an excavation.
  • Ballingarry: Famine Warhouse 1848. Widow McCormack's house, the site of the 1848 rebellion, has now been converted into a museum.
  • Thurles Famine Museum occupies St. Mary's church in Thurles. St. Mary's church is built on the site of another pre-reformation church dating to the 12th century. This site includes both war and Irish Famine memorials.

For someone who claims you ain't British you don't half go on like they did over for 800 years. Telling us about our history and our language.

Cailín Béarla dúr
Brilliant isn't it......

You don't have the choice - it was automatically given to you. You don't need to apply. You are British because you were born here before 1983. You don't need any documentation to be British in your case. How do you struggle to realise this?

In the case of your Irish citizenship it was different - your parents had to actually register you to become Irish as you were not born there - I am assuming you were born post 1949.

I have no idea why you think I am upset - just pointing out your misunderstanding of your own citizenship. The relevance is your continued bigoted use of phrases like "you are still there" " you have not apologized". That includes you as a Brit - as repeatedly asked by others why don't you say what your part is in all this. You are as guilty as the majority of other Brits you tar with the same racist brush.

Have you noticed how the real Irish on here are even calling you out? Do you put on a fake Irish accent when you go there?

You're so funny

Ok so I actually called my sister about this and my cousin and I wasn't registered there.
I just applied and got my passport.

Cailín Béarla dúr

There was no famine though is all I'm saying

You're so funny

Ok so I actually called my sister about this and my cousin and I wasn't registered there.
Irish citizen parents born outside Ireland
If you were born outside Ireland to an Irish citizen who was born outside Ireland, then you are entitled to become an Irish citizen.

If your parent derived Irish citizenship in another manner, for example, through marriage, adoption or naturalisation, and was an Irish citizen at the time of your birth, you can become an Irish citizen.

If the parent through whom you derive Irish citizenship was deceased at the time of your birth, but would have been an Irish citizen if alive at that time, you are also an Irish citizen. Also, you derive citizenship through an Irish parent whether or not your parents were married to each other at the time of your birth.

Claiming Irish citizenship: Before you can claim Irish citizenship, you must have your birth registered in the Foreign Births Register – see below. If you are entitled to register, your Irish citizenship is effective from the date of registration – not from the date when you were born.

You're so funny

There was no famine though is all I'm saying
That's not all you are saying though is it?
You claimed there was no famine in Ireland despite numerous facts that the potato plight hit Ireland harder than other European countries.
The Great Irish Famine 1845-1851 – A Brief Overview

You claimed it was the British who called it a famine not the Irish. You said it was called An Gorta Mor. Funnily enough that translate into English as 'The Great Famine'.

You also stated that I must have studied in a tinpot muggy gaff (we don't use the e at the end of here btw) then I would be aware that there was no famine. Which would indicate that the education I received from the Irish Sept. of Education and all the Irish historians who wrote about the famine and books like Under The Hornthorn Tree are lies.

Irish citizen parents born outside Ireland
If you were born outside Ireland to an Irish citizen who was born outside Ireland, then you are entitled to become an Irish citizen.

If your parent derived Irish citizenship in another manner, for example, through marriage, adoption or naturalisation, and was an Irish citizen at the time of your birth, you can become an Irish citizen.

If the parent through whom you derive Irish citizenship was deceased at the time of your birth, but would have been an Irish citizen if alive at that time, you are also an Irish citizen. Also, you derive citizenship through an Irish parent whether or not your parents were married to each other at the time of your birth.

Claiming Irish citizenship: Before you can claim Irish citizenship, you must have your birth registered in the Foreign Births Register – see below. If you are entitled to register, your Irish citizenship is effective from the date of registration – not from the date when you were born.
Actually - scratch that one as it is for people with Irish parents born outside of Ireland. Your kids need to be on it though.

Actually - scratch that one as it is for people with Irish parents born outside of Ireland. Your kids need to be on it though.

Yes if I had kids I'd have to do that.

That's not all you are saying though is it?
You claimed there was no famine in Ireland despite numerous facts that the potato plight hit Ireland harder than other European countries.
The Great Irish Famine 1845-1851 – A Brief Overview

You claimed it was the British who called it a famine not the Irish. You said it was called An Gorta Mor. Funnily enough that translate into English as 'The Great Famine'.

You also stated that I must have studied in a tinpot muggy gaff (we don't use the e at the end of here btw) then I would be aware that there was no famine. Which would indicate that the education I received from the Irish Sept. of Education and all the Irish historians who wrote about the famine and books like Under The Hornthorn Tree are lies.

it was a potato blight
not a famine
it is called a famine because the English forced the Irish into starvation

you know it wasn't a famine

faminenoun [ C/U ]
US /ˈfæm·ən/
extreme lack of food in a region, causing suffering and death:

[ U ] Widespread famine was reported in the region.

there was no lack of food

Last edited:
Whoever decided it was a good idea to send the Paras into Northern Ireland as a peacekeeping force should take most of the blame. These are highly trained, highly aggressive men. They are the vanguard of the British army. They are first into battle and trained to close with the enemy and destroy them with as much aggression as possible.

Using them as some sort of makeshift police force was a f***ing ridiculous decision.

Yes if I had kids I'd have to do that.

it was a potato blight
not a famine
it is called a famine because the English forced the Irish into starvation

you know it wasn't a famine

faminenoun [ C/U ]
US /ˈfæm·ən/
extreme lack of food in a region, causing suffering and death:

[ U ] Widespread famine was reported in the region.

there was no lack of food
Do you read the link?
Read this one instead:
The Irish Potato Famine: Could thousands have been saved?

As a poor tenant or labourer you wouldn’t have owned the fields you worked in. A minority of landlord families had that privilege. Many of these, especially those from the English nobility, never set foot on their Irish estates and sublet to local middlemen. You grew potatoes to feed yourself, and grain for the landlord to sell. When the potato crop failed, you couldn’t simply decide to diversify and grow another crop.

It was two years into the disaster before the government set up free soup kitchens, but by then thousands had died of starvation and disease.

In 1847 ordinary British people responded to Queen Victoria's appeal for charity, and a national fast raised money for Ireland. The United States Navy carried American supplies to Cork. The Pope lent his voice and even the sultan of Turkey contributed. But as the famine ground on, many in Britain’s political élite and middle classes accused the Irish of bringing it on themselves through laziness and overpopulation. An economic downturn in Britain, political unrest in Ireland, and the arrival of hordes of famine refugees at British ports cemented the view that Ireland should be left to sort herself out.

Evictions and Famine Emigration

Last edited:

Back